Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cats (2019 film)

giphy.gif

I think this movie likely does well overseas, train wreck or not. Domestically, I don’t know if it will even be able to crack $100M. *Maybe* $85M domestic is possible (Would be along the lines of 2011’s The Muppets and 2014’s Annie)

I don't understand that tagline at the end. "This holiday season... you will believe." Believe in what???

Obviously, people that are already fans of the Broadway show (which I am NOT), will go see this. But, I don't know how this will attract regular audience members that don't have an attachment to the show already.

So... I LOVE the stage version. I saw it a couple of times, and it was a fave soundtrack growing up (my wife bought me a copy of Old Possum’s Book of Practical Cats a few years ago). That said...

It looks remarkably true to how I remember it. At least visually. Dialogue is... New. I get it though. The narrative of Cats is pretty abstract (cats “competing” to ascend to the Heaviside Layer), and needs the dialogue to make sense.

I saw it getting dragged hard on Twitter. The screen grabs make it look deserved. And Tom Hooper is a hack. But, damn, when they’re in motion, I get it and I dig it.

And Jason Derulo as Rum Tum Tugger is tops.

Edit - Corrected Jeliside to Heavyside. The Jelleside Layer is our world (all the cats are "Jellecle Cats"). Heavyside is "heaven." And, yes, my nerdiness is showing.

Last edited:
Well, this film is a big ol' NOPE from me. Those faces are a new kind of horrifying, to quote someone else, it's "The UnCatty Valley". Seriously, if you're going to make a bunch of anthropomorphic cats, go full-blown and give them cat faces. Not Island of Dr. Moreau cat faces.

Other than that, other aspects of the film such as the larger sets to make everyone cat sized are actually a bit of a neat touch. But it's not neat enough to shake off the feeling that this is gonna' be a trainwreck.

Guess I’m in the minority here but this trailer actually gave me optimism. At first I was very against the thought of Cats specifically since it was replacing the Wicked film. Yet after seeing this I believe that there may be some true entertainment here. I’ll give it a shot with this trailer at least giving me some push. Suppose I’m getting easy lol.