Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Cedar Point 2013

Feb 27, 2010
Oviedo, FL
From Screamscape:

2013 - New Coaster - Rumor - (7/7/11) While it’s still a bit far out to say anything for sure, we’ve heard from a new source that the rumored 2013 coaster project for The Point will see B&M come back to the park at last with a new project. It’s hard to say exactly what it may be, so I suspect it could be one of the new Wing Coasters, though a Floorless with a ton of inversions or even a Dive Machine would also be a good fit. A location near the front of the park on the Disaster Transport / Space Spiral side was also mentioned.
(7/5/11) If your hoping for a new coaster at Cedar Point in 2012, I’m told you will probably have to wait for 2013. No word on just what it will be, but usually Cedar Point doesn’t disappoint, so it should be good.

From Screamscape:

2013 - New Coaster - Rumor - (12/29/11) Another Screamscape source has confirmed hearing that a new B&M coaster is supposed to be in the works for The Point in 2013. So will it be something standard like a Floorless or a Dive Machine, one of the new Wing coasters or perhaps something we’ve never seen before?

I'd be thrilled if this rumor was even remotely true. I'm anxious to see how this plays out and if we'll be seeing a new concept from B&M...or even a dive machine. Although I read somewhere that Busch Gardens had the rights to dive machines in the US for however long...?

Last edited:
From Screamscape:

2013 - New Coaster - Rumor - (3/29/12) Despite what I may have heard earlier, the latest buzz going around is that Cedar Point’s 2013 coaster may very well be a new B&M Wing Coaster. It makes me wonder if those new green coaster track pieces spotted at the plant may be for The Point’s new project. As for the location, the new coaster is rumored to be located in the area between Ocean Motion and Disaster Transport, possibly in that employee parking lot and may also run along the shoreline at one point. The green color does make me wonder if this is for CP or not, as the dark green color used is close to being the same color as Raptor’s rails. Then again, when you’ve got 17 coasters, it may be hard to find a unique color for your 18th coaster.
(2/10/12) Still more rumors trickling in about the possible 2013 coaster plans in the works for The Point. Right now the good money bets are still on it being a B&M coaster once again, but this leads to a question about what style? While I think the park could certainly use a good Floorless mega-looper, there is also hope for a mega Floorless Dive Machine concept.
The rumor mill suggests that management (or at least Kinzel’s old management) did not care for the B&M Flyers. The park already has a plentiful supply of launched coaster concepts, so this really leaves only the new Wing Coaster idea as an alternate possibility, but with SFGAm building one in greater market, I have a feeling Cedar Point isn’t ready to jump on that bandwagon yet either.

B&M - (3/26/12) A local Screamscape source went by the B&M track fabrication plant and came across a few pieces of new bright green track on site. Based on my understanding of the codes used on the labels, this is for another Wing Coaster design, so we know someone is getting one for 2013 at least.

http://screamscape.com/html/industry_news.htm#BM

Could these be for Cedar Point?

EDIT: ^IMO, honestly the whole "Busch has the Dive Machine contract" thing is pure bogus. If there was a contract, it would have expired by now.

Last edited:
Personally I am really hoping its not for Cedar Point. The only other two wing coasters in the country are less than a day drive away so it should not be all that exclusive for the point. I would love to see a 200 ft Intamin Prefab OR since B&M has grown a set and passed the 300ft mark maybe a 3oo+ Dive machine.

I just think that would be amazing but then again I love Sheikra. I mean imagine a 333 ft 90 degree drop that goes into a 250ft Immelmann and then into a 200ft tall zero g roll! Then finish it off with another 180ft vertical dive into another Immelmann, a helix, and a water feature.

Personally I am really hoping its not for Cedar Point. The only other two wing coasters in the country are less than a day drive away so it should not be all that exclusive for the point. I would love to see a 200 ft Intamin Prefab OR since B&M has grown a set and passed the 300ft mark maybe a 3oo+ Dive machine.

I just think that would be amazing but then again I love Sheikra. I mean imagine a 333 ft 90 degree drop that goes into a 250ft Immelmann and then into a 200ft tall zero g roll! Then finish it off with another 180ft vertical dive into another Immelmann, a helix, and a water feature.

While I'd be okay with a Wing Coaster, if that plan was scrapped in favor of a 333 ft. Dive Machine like that I wouldn't mind at all! :lol:

My wife and I have been wanting to get back to the Point for a few years now but have been waiting for them to build another coaster. Also hoping that Holiday World throws down some Intamin love for 2013 as well.

From Screamscape:

2013 - New Coaster(s) - Rumor - (3/30/12) Rumors for Cedar Point often have to be taken with the proverbial “grain of salt”, and this one would fall into that category, so don’t hold me to it. According to message I received today, there is also talk around The Point about adding a second project for 2013. If the rumor has any truth to it, we could see Cedar Point adding a small kiddie coaster in the same season as their next big coaster in order to jump up to the all time high of 19 coasters at once in the park. Another side of this move is that Six Flags Magic Mountain is currently tied with CP with 17 coasters and has made it clear they will open their 18th coaster in 2013 as well, so adding two in the same year to The Point would be the sure way to 1UP The Mountain.
As for the location… our source has heard some rumbling about adding to the Frontier section of the park, but with two possible coasters in the works, it’s hard to say which project is intended for exactly which location just yet.

A bit late, but apparently a coaster it is:

Cedar Fair stands ready to spend big money on a new roller coaster for 2013 at Cedar Point that will change the park landscape.

Code-named “CP Alt.Winged,” the coaster will have the “longest drop, run the fastest and be the longest ride” of its kind, Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet wrote in Feb. 15 memo to Cedar Fair’s board of directors.

The total projected cost of the project is $25 million, a price that includes removing the park’s Space Spiral and Disaster Transport rides and restructuring the park entrance.

Ouimet was unavailable for comment Tuesday.

To see photos of the Space Spiral and Disaster Transport, click HERE.

Lee Alexakos, corporate vice president of marketing, declined to confirm the information in the memo.

“We have not announced any plans for 2013 but we did announce a $25 million investment,” Alexakos said. “This will be one of the largest capital expenditures ever.”

Alexakos said that with any ride or attraction Cedar Point undertakes, the company is always looking to set records.

The Swiss-based Bolliger & Mabillard Consulting Engineers is set to design the new ride, which was described in the memo as having a “Front Gate Statement— a roller coaster that flies overhead, rolls and flies back— highly visible above guests entering the park.”

The firm designed Cedar Point’s Raptor.

A winged coaster is designed to suspend riders on wings to the sides of the rails so there is no track above or below the guest.

Engineering schematics show a proposed coaster with gravity defying twists, curves and rolls.

“Rob Decker (Cedar Fair VP of planning and design) and others have done a great job of creating a compelling, economically attractive new coaster for Cedar Point,” Ouimet wrote. “We believe this particular ride design with this particular manufacturer balances the desire for marketable innovation and risk associated with early adaptations of prototypes.”

Bolliger & Mabillard designed the first winged coaster for installation in Italy at a park known as Gardaland. The Six Flags Great American park outside of Chicago also has one of the company’s winged coasters, called X-Flight.

The new ride at Cedar Point could promise to be a work horse available to guests at almost any time they are in the park.

“Rob talked to operators of the first one in Italy and found no unanticipated negatives and very high ride reliability (less than 1 percent operational downtime).

Design plans show the new ride with a 170-foot tall lift that will fly overhead of park guests entering the park. It will have the longest track and longest ride time of any coaster of its style as it flies overhead, rolls and then fly back.

The huge roller coaster will dominate the front gate and the track will travel over a large parking area at the park.

“We have several coasters that cover parking lots,” Ouimet wrote. “Not necessarily ideal, but certainly acceptable given tight site constraints and the amount of land such attractions require.”

Disaster Transport and the Space Spiral both would have to come down if the site plan currently under consideration is chosen.

Part of the $25 million investment will also include renovations and upgrades at the park entrance from the parking lot.

Cedar Point general manger John Hildebrandt was not available for comment on Tuesday.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/sandusky/news/cedar-fair/memo-cedar-point-build-coaster-2013

The rumor mill is throwing roller coaster enthusiasts for a loop today.

And this particular loop is a doozy: Cedar Point is planning to remove Disaster Transport and Space Spiral to make room for a wing coaster that extends to the front of the park and above the main entrance, according to a Feb. 15 memo from new Cedar Fair CEO Matt Ouimet to the board of directors.

A wing coaster, as shown in the artist rendering above, is one on which pairs of riders sit on either side of the track, with nothing above or below them except air.

The only coasters at Cedar Point that I haven’t ridden this year are Mean Streak, because it’s kind of hard on my aging back, and Disaster Transport, because, well, it kind of sucks.

Someone at Cedar Point with much more influence than I have might think the same thing.

At the Erie County Chamber of Commerce Breakfast of Champions on April 24, Ouimet mentioned publicly that the company wasn’t thrilled with Disaster Transport, which gives more credence to this development.

“We believe strongly in the future of Cedar Point,” Ouimet said at the breakfast. “Our board of directors, at John’s (Hildebrandt) encouragement, have committed more than $25 million to Cedar Point for next season. I will leave it at that, for all to speculate what that is.”

And speculate the enthusiasts have done.

I've suspected for a while that Cedar Point's 2013 attraction would be a coaster. The loss of one roller coaster, WildCat, and Ouimet divulging the $25 million investment number all but clinched it. It was just a matter of waiting to see what type of coaster it would be.

Obviously, it would be something relatively different than what the park already has, and a flying coaster, Firehawk, being only 200 miles away at Cedar Fair-owned Kings Island seemed to preclude Cedar Point from doing a flyer, with other options available. So I assumed it would be a dive coaster.

I've never ridden a true wing coaster, but I have been on Griffon, a dive coaster at Busch Gardens Williamsburg. Riding on the outside of its 10-seat-wide train gives an experience somewhat similar to a wing coaster, because you hang over air, not the track. Needless to say, it's an interesting experience.

Also fueling the speculation is a development at another Cedar Fair property, Canada’s Wonderland. That park’s new coaster for 2012, Leviathan, features elements that are located in and above the guest parking lot and around the main entrance of the park, just like Cedar Point’s new coaster is expected to do.

In addition, you know Cedar Point wants to be able to at least argue its case as being the “Roller Coaster Capital of the World."

The first-ever entry to this blog was about the park’s last-minute removal of WildCat and the fact I thought it was a good long-term move. At the same time, losing one coaster also lost the park the claim of having the most roller coasters in the world, a title held by Six Flags Magic Mountain.

If this new development comes to fruition, Cedar Point still won’t be able to lay claim to the title of most coasters. (Gain one, lose one, leaving 16.) Six Flags Magic Mountain also has announced it will open an 18th coaster in 2013.

But I, for one, will take quality over quantity, substance over marketing, any day.

If Cedar Point adds a coaster type it doesn’t already have, I’ll still easily consider the park the “Roller Coaster Capital of the World." And with its high-quality and versatile lineup, it would be difficult to argue against it.

There are only four wing coasters in operation in the world: Raptor at Gardaland in Italy, The Swarm at Thorpe Park in the United Kingdom, Wild Eagle at Dollywood in Tennessee and X-Flight at Six Flags Great America in Illinois. The first in the world, Raptor, opened only a year ago.

Incidentally, the cost of the two wing coasters at U.S. parks are reported to be $20 million for Wild Eagle and $15 million for X-Flight, which seems to be in line with the $25 million Ouimet mentioned. (Assuming, as usual, Cedar Point wants the tallest, fastest and longest coaster of its type in the world, which would increase the ride's cost, in addition to the cost of removing the two rides.)

All four wing coasters in existence are manufactured by Bolliger & Mabillard, which designed and built Cedar Point’s Raptor and Mantis, as well as Diamondback at Kings Island. While I know a lot of people bemoan Mantis, I’m glad to see another B&M coaster coming, especially considering what seems to be excessive downtime on the Intamin coasters. (Millennium Force is still my favorite.)

And now would be a good time to mention the buzz that started a while ago when a photo surfaced of green wing-coaster track at a B&M fabricating plant in southwestern Ohio. (It could be for any number of other parks.) It's also a good time to mention it's been five long years and one major recession since a new coaster rolled its way to Cedar Point.

Some people wanted to see a 500-foot coaster, but I just don't see the point with Top Thrill Dragster already standing at 420 feet. Go skydiving if you want a towering drop from the sky, because that'd basically be all you'd get from such a coaster.

A new type of coaster will be good for the park in terms of its ability to draw guests, and sacrificing a couple of aging and underperforming rides for something fresh while adding some impact to that area of the park will be a good thing. (I spend a huge percentage of time in the back half of the park, roaming toward the front usually only when I want to ride Raptor or Wicked Twister or when I'm heading to my car.)

The elimination of Disaster Transport’s building also will allow for more and better views of the lake, which is an asset most parks simply don’t have.

Whatever the coaster ends up being and wherever it ends up going, it’s going to leave bigger footprints than the T. rex or Ruyangosaurus giganteus from Dinosaurs Alive! ever could.

http://www.sanduskyregister.com/san...oints-wing-coaster-answers-enthusiasts-prayer

CedarPointCoaster.jpg

The above pic (showing the planned layout) is from the second link.

Is it bad that I'm almost sad Disaster Transport is leaving? I know it wasn't a very great ride, but I was enjoyed it for its cheesiness.

This definitely seems like a positive change, though.

Posted on Cedar Point's facebook:

"Something big is happening. Disaster Transport & Space Spiral will be dismantled this season to make space for @!!$!(*%%. We're sad to see them go, but are excited as we fly into the future. Stay tuned for more!"

"Look out for inversions and (!%!@@!#%(!@!!^ You didn't think we would give away 2013 THAT easy did you?"
315387_10150925879071463_1401416630_n.jpg

Last edited:
I will laugh very hard if they would name this B&M Banshee. I am very curious about any infrastructure changes since the ride will need to go outside of the indicated area. Going into and out of the employee gate at the front for two years, I'm curious where they relocate some of those back of house facilities or how they work around them. Despite what many say, space is a serious premium there.

I think there just going to build on top of them, see goliath at sfog

I will laugh very hard if they would name this B&M Banshee. I am very curious about any infrastructure changes since the ride will need to go outside of the indicated area. Going into and out of the employee gate at the front for two years, I'm curious where they relocate some of those back of house facilities or how they work around them. Despite what many say, space is a serious premium there.

I would too. Hilarious.

For those not in the know:

Banshee was the original name for Mantis. It was located where Millennium force is now. People protested the name and it's demonic meaning, so they delayed the ride a year, moved in inland, and renamed it. Hell, the load area still is the same light house from the concept to what is there now.