Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Changes coming to Kilimanjaro Safaris

JungleSkip

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2010
The Mushroom Kingdom
From Inside the Magic:

Rescuing “Little Red” the elephant will no longer be the climactic finale of Kilimanjaro Safaris at Disney’s Animal Kingdom come spring 2012 as Walt Disney World has announced plans to change the attraction.

More live zebra will be added to the vast savannah, in the process removing the “Little Red” Audio-Animatronics, truck, and surrounding area. It will all become a new watering hole featuring live animals, instead of the one fake animal the ride has featured since its debut.

The changes are said to be completed by fall 2012, with the ride remaining open throughout.

Glad they're keeping this attraction fresh, although I do think it does benefit by having some kind of storyline. Unless they're keeping it the same and the only difference is the elephant doesn't get rescued from poachers. :look:

Glad they're keeping this attraction fresh, although I do think it does benefit by having some kind of storyline. Unless they're keeping it the same and the only difference is the elephant doesn't get rescued from poachers. :look:

The storyline was neutered progressively as time went on, to the point where it was worthless.

This adds value to the ride while taking away the bad parts.

I'm glad it's changing. It's easily the worst part of the ride. I've grown to loathe the storyline after all the changes anyway.

Absolutely, everyone who knew the ride, knew it was a great adventure the first part, and a pointless last minute of the ride that flashes by in a blink.

Animals is what this ride is about and should've ONLY been about.

Yeah this is a great change. I know it always feels that you get this great ride for the first and middle portion then it is this mad dash to get back to the loading dock.

Hopefully this makes the ride longer, and gives people more time with the animals.

They can record some more inconsequential dialogue from Wilson, perhaps telling the driving to look out for certain animals (like I believe they already have at some points, but I could be wrong). There can still be talk back and forth from Wilson, perhaps even warnings about poachers but it would probably be better without it.

The storyline was neutered progressively as time went on, to the point where it was worthless.

This adds value to the ride while taking away the bad parts.

Parents having to explain, Mommy why is that elephant bleeding and its brains scattered on the rocks? :lol:

I just hope we don't lose the crazy driving at the end like now. The last time I went on it was a blast; we were getting thrown around like crazy sitting in the back. :lol:

The question I have is this. The Parks Blog said that the zebras are often overlooked due to their location on the savannah. I've been on the Safari numerous times, including today, and not once did I see a zebra! Where are they? lol.

When the safari first opened the zebras usually were near the area where Wilson talks about the Thompson gazelles. Now the tend to be further along in the Savanna, and seem to be a bit harder to spot.

I love all the talk of where the hell are the Zebra's :lol: I guess when one attraction is the size of the entire MK things can get lost or easily passed bye.

Rode it today and all of the poacher area is no longer recognizable. The driver explained that the reserve was under to construction to introduce "a new species". She played coy for a few more minutes and came out said "I've heard it's zebras!".

On another note, I miss Matua.

Rode it today and all of the poacher area is no longer recognizable. The driver explained that the reserve was under to construction to introduce "a new species". She played coy for a few more minutes and came out said "I've heard it's zebras!".

On another note, I miss Matua.

Everyone misses Matua. But I'd rather have zebras than the chopped back Matua we last saw.

Zebras were removed around 2008 due to their bad behavior. They have been secluded to Savannah North, which is only visibly briefly after crossing the bridge that used to tilt. Some drivers will stop if a zebra is in view, but most will not because it is a safety hazard (with other trucks coming from behind).

I used to be a KSR cast member, so it's uncanny to experience the safari with no poacher scene. I don't blame Disney for letting the story go, though. The original conservation "sermon" has been dying since cast member previews in 1998, when the original goal was to preach a message with a dead elephant prop and a guy with an AK47. Eventually we said good-bye to "Big Red" and "Little Red"... now we just have happy animals in a happy theme park.