Chicago | Inside Universal Forums

Chicago

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Jan 3, 2010
Florida
Ill be in Chicago for a few days at the end of the month. Anyone have any suggestions about places to visit? I've never been and haven't done much research. Thinking about hitting up the waterfront, Willis Tower, and a few of the other famous landmarks. If anyone has any good tips for me, it would be much appreciated!

You can probably look a lot of it up online but I have been and it's hands down one of my favorite places to visit. Things you should visit while there John Hancock Observatory, take a stroll down The Magnificent Mile but you'll mostly plan as you go because their is just so much to do. One thing that you should REALLY visit is a pizza joint called Giordano's. It has the classic Chicago deep dish pizza and it it by far the best pizza I have ever ate. They deliver to hotel rooms as well. The pizza weighs a ton..one piece and your done.

http://giordanos.com/

I believe the (once Sears) tower has the glass that juts out over nothing that you can stand on. The museum of art has a massive collection of VERY FAMOUS impressionist paintings that would have you saying over and over again, "My God, that painting is HERE?"
The museum of natural history has both the two killer lions (now stuffed) that were the subject of the film "The Ghost and the Darkness" with Michael Douglas. The museum also has a somewhat new WWII German U-boat on display. I believe it might be the only German U-boat on display anywhere in the world. The thing that amazed me most about downtown Chicago is that it visually feels like NYC (big!) but without all the short-tempered attitude of the people. Everyone was very polite and friendly.

Chicago is awesome! Get a CTA transit card when you first get there.
In addition to the great suggestions above...
Try to check out a show at Second City
Go to the Billy Goat tavern...its the place the old SNL sketch "Cheeburger Cheeburger No Coke- Pepsi!" was based.
Take an architectural river tour
In addition to the Sears Tower (Technically Willis tower, but don't call it that) and instead of the John Hancock observatory (which is about $25) go to the Signature Room at the 95th...Just get an overpriced drink at the bar and enjoy the view in style.
I made a map for when I go back with my GF one day

Thanks everyone! So you all think the John Hancock Observatory is better than the Sears Tower one? I hope they are open around sunset, those would be some awesome views and great for pictures!

Don't forget to visit Cloud Gate, aka The Bean, at Millennium Park. Honestly, all of downtown is beautiful. The architecture is gorgeous. Plus, it's very clean and people are super friendly, as stated :thumbs: Have an awesome time! I really loved my time in Chicago last year.

Thanks everyone! So you all think the John Hancock Observatory is better than the Sears Tower one? I hope they are open around sunset, those would be some awesome views and great for pictures!

I haven't been up Willis Tower (formerly Sears) in my 2 visits in Chicago. However from what I've seen/heard the main appeal is the glass floor extension 'Skydeck'. Whereas the Hancock building offers a more complete, panoramic view of the city including downtown and Lake Michigan.

http://www.theskydeck.com