Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Child's Play Remake

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
...As I collect my unseathing rage, MGM has announced that they are fast-tracking a remake, of the 1988 classic cult film, Childs Play.

Child's Play Reboot In the Works at MGM From It Producers | Collider

The film will be directed by Lars Klevberg (As of yet released, Polaroid) and written by Tyler Burton Smith.

This, is different than the already revealed Child's Play TV show that would be led by the original creator, Don Mancini, as it's expected for that to have Brad Douriff return as the demented doll we love to hate.

...As I collect my unseathing rage, MGM has announced that they are fast-tracking a remake, of the 1988 classic cult film, Childs Play.

Child's Play Reboot In the Works at MGM From It Producers | Collider

The film will be directed by Lars Klevberg (As of yet released, Polaroid) and written by Tyler Burton Smith.

This, is different than the already revealed Child's Play TV show that would be led by the original creator, Don Mancini, as it's expected for that to have Brad Douriff return as the demented doll we love to hate.

MGM is strip-mining their old IP to make a quick buck.

For those confused how this and the Universal-controlled Child's Play films continue unabated...

MGM controls the rights to the original Chucky film, "Child's Play," as well as that title.
Universal controls the rights to make sequels (having made Child's Play 2 and beyond) as well as many rights surrounding the Chucky character and related IP.

Therefore, Universal continues to churn out its Direct-to-DVD releases and the proposed TV show at the same time MGM prepares this braindead remake.

Also - I obviously don't know Lars Klevberg personally, but Polaroid is terrible. It's floated around town for a while, got its release date annihilated by the Weinstein chaos, and hasn't found new footing. That isn't an accident - the film is radioactive and everyone knows it.

Alrighty, so it's a Buddi doll that's a advanced A.I.

I know they're trying to make this look dark in the same vein as the original, but pass.

With a killer A.I., I admit the main thing that's coming to mind for me is when they find out the reason it's gone killer, and it equates to "There's your problem, this thing's been set to "Evil"."

Unless they're still going to use the soul transfer idea, which would come off really pointless when you already have plausible explanations for a wayward A.I.

This movie is seriously giving me a Black Mirror vibe. I personally speculate that the plot will be similar to the episode "Hated in the Nation", but idk hopefully I'm wrong. Regardless, I'm still interested in it :grin:

D5V99QhUcAAqSx3.jpg

Yeah, I thought this was kind of fun. Mark Hamill was a great choice for the voice, and they wisely go in a different direction with Chucky than the previous movies. Some good, splattery gore, too.

Not as good as the Original. But actually really fun. Actually great. Had some great heart, scares, and humor to it. Really dug it.

Interesting hearing these pretty solid reviews considering the C+ CinemaScore. Wasn’t really expecting the solid response.

Interesting hearing these pretty solid reviews considering the C+ CinemaScore. Wasn’t really expecting the solid response.
Honestly its like a campy slasher horror film from the 80's. It was pretty good also found that the movie had a deep message, but idk

Last edited:
Yeah, it's fun... for what it is. It's not trying to be a great horror movie. It's just trying to be an entertaining, tongue-in-cheek ride. I'd say it's probably the third-best CHILD'S PLAY film, so if a person has liked some of those movies, there's stuff to enjoy in this one.