What's new
Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

CityWalk Hollywood

Jon Fu

Editor-in-Chief Emeritus
Jul 26, 2010
California
CityWalk Hollywood's New Year's Eve celebration:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/videoseries?list=UUE0uNMPt9qFSUDVdQxX0iRg
First impressions: the fireworks were spectacular but crowd control was atrocious. For whatever reason, they just don't know how to organize or respond to large groups of people. In the end, it was a nice night but I'm not sure I'm going to be doing this again.

Last edited by a moderator:
That looked fantastic! Pity USH can't do that from WaterWorld EVERY night, hu?

Jon, if you don't wanna do it again at USH, do Disneyland or DCA next year! It's THE busiest and craziest day of the year at both parks, but their countdown and fireworks display is absolutely the best. They do a special fireworks + New Years World of Color before the actual World of Color, so I'm sure you'd love that ;) looks amazing.

Surprisingly, the firework show was done quite well. My favorite moment was when the host of the arena show started passing out autographs of himself. I've never heard of this guy, it was very weird.

Overall, it was an enjoyable event.

Was this at 11:59 pm?? Last year they didn't have a show... they closed at 10 and nothing spectacular... just a lot of traffic and mess because of the celebrations in citywalk

The Waterworld seating area opened at 9:45 and they had a DJ plus two hosts playing games with the audience. They were giving away BIG prizes such as bubbles and silly putty. A multi-billion dollar company was giving away silly putty and bubbles as prizes. Smh.

Was this at 11:59 pm?? Last year they didn't have a show... they closed at 10 and nothing spectacular... just a lot of traffic and mess because of the celebrations in citywalk
They did have a show last year. This is all being handled by CityWalk. The park itself closes over so CityWalk can take over.

That looked fantastic! Pity USH can't do that from WaterWorld EVERY night, hu?

Jon, if you don't wanna do it again at USH, do Disneyland or DCA next year! It's THE busiest and craziest day of the year at both parks, but their countdown and fireworks display is absolutely the best. They do a special fireworks + New Years World of Color before the actual World of Color, so I'm sure you'd love that ;) looks amazing.
I've been told that World of Color is similar to Cinematic Spectacular in that there's no actual show on New Year's Eve. They load everything they got in under 6 minutes and that's what you get.

Hope this is the correct forum.  I had not previously noticed this display in the Studio Store window nearest the ticket booths.  Nice to focus on history and not make every inch a retail opportunity.

CityWalk_032015_1.jpg

CityWalk_032015_2.jpg

After getting to see the new Studio Tour display in person today, I really like it... but wish they did a better job with featuring past attractions. I wish they would've used the "carrot-tooth" shark for JAWS, since that debuted in 1976. While I understand why they'd want too feature KONG 360, I would've preferred original 1986 KONG attraction for the 1980s instead. Still a cool display though.

Despite the announcement about Tommy's Burgers closing this past sunday (March 22nd, 2015), as of today (March 24th), it was STILL OPEN for business. So that was interesting to see.

In other news, not sure if anyone else noticed this or not.. but the other week I noticed that the Universal Hollywood arch sign that featured Optimus Prime for Transformers: The Ride has been removed. 2 weeks later, it is still gone.

B1Fo85v.jpg

It was located to the right of the "Universal Pictures" sign, which now features "Furious 7"

BFEPRxR.jpg

when/if the Universal arch sign returns, will it feature "Fast & Furious: Supercharged" or "WWOHP"???

Despite the announcement about Tommy's Burgers closing this past Sunday (March 22nd, 2015), as of today (March 24th), it was STILL OPEN for business. So that was interesting to see.
Well... this has now changed. Inside Universal just posted this image of Tommy's on FB/twitter...

83gSE0a.jpg

Sad to hear about the Tommy's closure. Although a little more expensive than a regular Tommy's, it was nice to have the option as opposed to some of the other quick service locations. 

They have Smashburger where I currently work and it's disgustingly greasy, especially the fries. However it's hard to satisfy me burger-wise so I may just be finnicky.