Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Classic Monster Reboot - Dark Universe

And the Creature of the black lagoon work is getting started.

Aquaman Scribe Will Beall on Creature From The Black Lagoon | Deadline

They've been trying to get CREATURE remade for 25 years. John Carpenter, Joe Dante, Guillermo del Toro, Gary Ross, Breck Eisner, and who knows how many others have made a run at it, and - for some reason - Universal's never been able to pull the trigger.

Beall's CV doesn't get me particularly excited (though I guess AQUAMAN could turn out great, you never know), but I'll wait to see what kind of tone the new MUMMY sets for the rebooted Classic Monsters before I either get worried or intrigued.

If it does well, which watching the 2nd trailer again I think it will, it wouldn't surprise me if Universal gives The Mummy a makeover to the new version, as much as I love the original Mummy movies it time for a refresh.

Not the greatest song choice I've ever heard in a trailer, but the imagery looks surprisingly okay. Despite obviously being more an action movie than a horror movie, they seem to be hinting at some pretty classic monster-y stuff, too (the swarms of rats, for instance).

At the very least, it certainly looks like it's going to be creepier (and played more straight) than 1999's THE MUMMY, a film I like but is definitely more Indiana Jones than Universal Monsters.

A lot of people are still complaining about why it needs to be rebooting and why brendan frasier not in it (Not realizing frasier was a reboot) and then its not scary enough.

I think this looks great and will do well critically but I have a feeling a lot of people are wanting it to fail

A lot of people are still complaining about why it needs to be rebooting and why brendan frasier not in it (Not realizing frasier was a reboot) and then its not scary enough.

I think this looks great and will do well critically but I have a feeling a lot of people are wanting it to fail

I honestly don't think the "Where's Brendan?" contingent will make up a very large section of the general audience. Universal's traded up for Cruise (and that may be an understatement), and I doubt many in the audience are going to be longing for Brendan in his place, or for a continuation of the previous MUMMY continuity; the last film came out almost 10 years ago, and was by no means a hit of any kind.

I'd call it a re-imagining of the reboot...It follows hardly anything from the original, and takes some noted from the Brendan Frasier series...

I'm torn, the BF Mummy has a certain charm to it, as does the ride...This version will feel very different...I'm just imagining what they can do with all the new tech available to them these days..

Bottom line, Mummy needs to stay