Classic Monster Reboot - Dark Universe | Page 7 | Inside Universal Forums

Classic Monster Reboot - Dark Universe

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
'The Mummy' Producer Says Phantom and Hunchback To Be Added to the Dark Universe | Fandom powered by Wikia

Phantom and Hunchback will be added to the dark Universe; they want Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence. Also will tell stories of creatures currently not in the Universe.

He also reveals plans to explore beyond the boundaries of the existing Universal monster properties: “There are characters within those films that can grow and expand and maybe even spin off. I think that digging into deep mythologies about monsters around the world is fair game for us, as well and connecting the monsters that we know to some surprising monsters could also be really interesting.”

'The Mummy' Producer Says Phantom and Hunchback To Be Added to the Dark Universe | Fandom powered by Wikia

Phantom and Hunchback will be added to the dark Universe; they want Michael Fassbender and Jennifer Lawrence. Also will tell stories of creatures currently not in the Universe.

If Fassbender would play Phantom...I actually would be on-board with that.

I think he has enough charm and can act seriously when he needs to, when he play's a dramatic role. And that I can easily see him take on the Phantom.

Reactions: Mad Dog
If Fassbender would play Phantom...I actually would be on-board with that.

I think he has enough charm and can act seriously when he needs to, when he play's a dramatic role. And that I can easily see him take on the Phantom.

The biggest issue I think this entire thing has is no one will give any of these movies a chance. A lot of people are complaining about no Brendan fraser in the mummy. They will probably complain about no singing in phantom of the opera. Its quite annoying.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
The movie is at 65/100 on Critics Choice, which is in the same range as POTC5, Snatched, King Arthur, and Everything Everything among recent movies, so make of that what you will. Fallow also said this a couple pages ago:

Yeah.... adjust those expectations. People've seen the movie now. Prognosis isn't looking great.

I want this movie to be good, but all signs are pointing to it sucking.

The movie is at 65/100 on Critics Choice, which is in the same range as POTC5, Snatched, King Arthur, and Everything Everything among recent movies, so make of that what you will. Fallow also said this a couple pages ago:

Appreciate it. Not trying to be a downer - I want nothing more than these movies to succeed. Love the material, some great talent involved. But it sounds like they may have put the cart before the horse here.

By the way - for all this new talk about Phantom and Hunchback and whatever - it's all just talk. There are no scripts. The existing Creature script sucked (and they hired Beall to attempt a new one). Bride of Frankenstein and Invisible Man don't have writers. Wolfman's barely an idea.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life

Top Movies - Critics' Choice AwardsCritics' Choice Awards

It doesn't say that at all on Critics Choice site..... it says voting in process???

Appreciate it. Not trying to be a downer - I want nothing more than these movies to succeed. Love the material, some great talent involved. But it sounds like they may have put the cart before the horse here.

By the way - for all this new talk about Phantom and Hunchback and whatever - it's all just talk. There are no scripts. The existing Creature script sucked (and they hired Beall to attempt a new one). Bride of Frankenstein and Invisible Man don't have writers. Wolfman's barely an idea.

Bride of Frankenstein script writer is David Koepp. Alex Kurtzman already said. Script is done.
Alex Kurtzman interview: The Mummy, Transformers | Den of Geek

Last edited:
Seems a lot of people were pleasantly surprised at the screenings with a ratio of 23 positive tweets for the mummy/dark universe for every 1 negative.

Note: Embargo has been pushed up to 9 am.

That's good to hear. I like the idea of a shared universe of monsters, so I hope this succeeds. Hoping to see the movie on Thursday.

That's good to hear. I like the idea of a shared universe of monsters, so I hope this succeeds. Hoping to see the movie Thursday.

I was going to see it yesterday but the theatres nearby me in Seoul were all sold out for most of the showings. They really really love Tom Cruise here. So hopefully I will see it in the next 8 hours.

Reactions: WolfmanJ
So the mummy......was so much FUN!!! I will try to keep this as spoiler free as i can. I do think some people will be disappointed because its definitely family friendly (an 8 year old can see this and be fine). The humor is fully throughout the film and some scenes are really campy in a good way. This film is very different from the MCU films as you can't tell how the next film will fit into this film as it truly seems to be a standalone film unless they decide to do The Mummy 2. I have a feeling as well that critics will be meh about it as they made the story very easy to digest and kept recapping to make sure you knew what was going on but a lot of people will actually enjoy this for what it is.

BTW most of the rumors were wrong about the ending so....just will let you all get that out. Tom is an original character and will be interesting to see where his story goes. So for people who say that he is van helsing. They are wrong.

This is getting absolutely rammed by critics with a 31% on RT and 38 on Metacritic. David Ehrlich of Indiewire says it's the worst movie Tom Cruise has ever done. I'm still seeing this on Friday, but I'm losing a lot of interest.

Or just ignore what the critics are saying, half the time that will kill a movie just because a critic said they didn't like it and so people skip it then later catch it on br or elsewhere and find they really enjoyed it.

Or just ignore what the critics are saying, half the time that will kill a movie just because a critic said they didn't like it and so people skip it then later catch it on br or elsewhere and find they really enjoyed it.
I know it's popular to hate on critics, but I agree with their consensus more often than not.

Reactions: Nick and Clive