Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Classic Monster Reboot - Dark Universe

I really REALLY want this to work out. Gotta get the right guys involved to make this great. Would love to see what A24 could do with a creature from the black lagoon or invisible man movie if Uni did a shared rights thing

I really REALLY want this to work out. Gotta get the right guys involved to make this great. Would love to see what A24 could do with a creature from the black lagoon or invisible man movie if Uni did a shared rights thing

No...keep A24 away from this project. They really messed with the promo of A Ghost Story when everyone thought it was going to be horror than it ended up being just a drama. Also don't even get me started on The Witch...the only thing going for that film was Black Phillip and the do you want to see the world deliciously line at the end.

No...keep A24 away from this project. They really messed with the promo of A Ghost Story when everyone thought it was going to be horror than it ended up being just a drama. Also don't even get me started on The Witch...the only thing going for that film was Black Phillip and the do you want to see the world deliciously line at the end.
I think you mean It Comes at Night; A Ghost Story's marketing was pretty upfront about it being a slow arthouse film :lol:

why the bride of Frankenstein.I mean i can see it coming out after a Frankenstein movie comes out but as the first movie.Its like making a Watson movie reboot.

We shall see. I'm deeply skeptical that Universal has any idea what to properly do with these great characters.
Shame.
They hold some of the most marketable franchises in filmmaking and can’t get them off the ground.

And no those damn hotel Transylvania movies don’t count

We shall see. I'm deeply skeptical that Universal has any idea what to properly do with these great characters.

I'm gonna be honest, I love the classic monsters...but they're not an easy sell in this day and age. I'd give them to Blumhouse to see if anything can be done. Otherwise? I don't see a way forward.

Shame.
And no those damn hotel Transylvania movies don’t count

That's not Universal. Sony movies.

I'm gonna be honest, I love the classic monsters...but they're not an easy sell in this day and age. I'd give them to Blumhouse to see if anything can be done. Otherwise? I don't see a way forward.

That's not Universal. Sony movies.
That’s right my bad!

And I agree a partnership with Blumhouse would be my blue sky wish for the monsters.

A Blumhouse creature from the black lagoon? Yup.

I'd love to see Universal hand the monsters over to Blumhouse. They have a business model that works.

I'd cap budgets at $30 million and give the properties to filmmakers (both rising and established) that have great visual style and who also understand the genre.

I'd love to see Universal hand the monsters over to Blumhouse. They have a business model that works.

I'd cap budgets at $30 million and give the properties to filmmakers (both rising and established) that have great visual style and who also understand the genre.
Yeah, either of those plans would work. Universal has been trying way too hard to turn the classic monsters into the next Cinematic Universe right off the bat..., but it's just not in the cards.

Make some low-budget horror movies for the classic monsters that are cheaply priced (Blumhouse would easily be able to produce some $100-200 million grossers off $5-20 million budgets) and then add some cross-over battles to the mix to generate bigger box office later.

They're trying way too hard to aim for the $500 million+ gross range with origin stories, but it's just not in the cards. Maybe if you set up a whole bunch of low budget origin movies and then add crossover elements to sequels and build up towards a big fight, you could see a mid-budget ($50 million) movie that grosses in the $500 million+ range eventually, but you're not going to consistently get there if you just throw "Dark Universe" on the screen.

I think they could be. There’s no reason they couldn’t spawn a franchise in the vein of The Mummy from 1999. Problem is they haven’t handed the franchise to the right people
tumblr_inline_neoocjjhIO1s1gf4b.gif