Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Comcast Buys Dreamworks Animation for $3.8bn

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
In a BIG piece of news, it seems that Comcast; the parent company that has control of Universal Studios (IE, the parks and Resorts) is seeming to be making talks on acquiring the animation company of DreamWorks Animation.

DreamWorks Animation has been responsible with multiple franchises, including Shrek, Kung Fu Panda, Madagascar, How to Train Your Dragon and more. The deal is set to be over Three Billion dollars. This could pose in a manner of ways; extreme changes to the movie studio of Universal Studios, and the Theme Parks division all to its own.

Thoughts on the possible move? What do you think will be taken into affect for the Movie Studio, and more important for the forums. What would the effect of this be if it happens, for the Theme Parks? Sound off below.

Lots of IP choices for the third park. Some really good and some too old and not so good. ....3 Billion for the acquisition. That's also probably in the neighborhood of what a new park would cost.

Beat to it by 15 minutes!

I'm extremely conflicted by this news. Universal/Comcast has been steadily building their own animation studio for the past several years. While the movies can be meh (Despicable Me was great, the others have been poorly received by critics), they all make a ton of money. All of them are ridiculously underutilized by the parks. Concast could definitely provide some financial security for DWA, but I don't know if they could creatively help it out

For us theme park fans, I really question if this gets us anything. DWA is as bad as Nickelodeon when it comes to licensing. They've had theme park / travel deals with everyone. They have several theme park deals, a cruise line deal, hotel deal, plus who-knows-what else. It makes Marvel look tame.

I'd love for DWA to get some financial cover so it could make riskier / better movies. I don't think this will get to the parks in a big way.

Something to keep in mind is this, tomorrow is the Comcast First Quarter earnings call. If push comes to show, we could get official confirmation tomorrow and that this was a leak that wasn't supposed to come out.

Something to keep in mind is this, tomorrow is the Comcast First Quarter earnings call. If push comes to show, we could get official confirmation tomorrow and that this was a leak that wasn't supposed to come out.

I would not be surprised if this is the case.

Universal lacks a lot of bankable children's IP. The Minions are strong, and Seuss is respectable, but Dreamworks gives them a treasure chest of IP. A lot of it is a bit overexposed, but all it takes is some care to get that back in line.

Actually makes sense due to the fact the rest of Dreamworks is already working with Universal and HQ is at Universal. It was only a matter of time they moved to have it all under one umbrella again.

I think Illuminations and DreamWorjs will continue to operate separately to some extent if this goes through. I'm thinking a situation similar to Disney Animation and Pixar.

Something else..that may be BIG.

giphy.gif

Thinking more, this is becoming a BIG acquistion deal if its true. In a way, I don't think we may of seen a deal this big, since Disney bought the company of Lucasfilm.