Comcast/Sony bidding for India's Zee Entertainment Enterprises | Inside Universal Forums

Comcast/Sony bidding for India's Zee Entertainment Enterprises

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
May 14, 2014
Seoul, Korea
Zee Entertainment in talks with Comcast and Sony to sell stake - cnbctv18.com

ZEE in talks with Sony & Comcast to sell 50 per cent stake | BizAsia | Media, Entertainment, Showbiz, Events and Music

Stake sale: Top management of Zee in a huddle, Comcast and Sony in fray - Moneycontrol.com

I knew Comcast was looking into Asian expansion I'm just shocked they went to India over Korea or expanding their operations in Japan fist but this is a good move to gain a new production studio in India for the streaming service.

India is in a period of HUGE entertainment growth and online presence. The country is densely packed and they now have full access to the internet. This has lead to the ongoing feud with Pewdiepie and India entertainment company T-Series for the top Subscriber count on Youtube. With Youtube now open to these entertainment companies, they are able to get a much wider reach.

Reactions: GadgetGuru
I'm not too surprised.

India basically has 5 large TV groups: Star, Sony, Zee, Sun, and TV18.

1) Star is already a part of Disney (via Fox) and is the clear #1 due to cricket rights for its Star Sports channel and Hotstar streaming service which has a huge first mover advantage in streaming in India.

2) Sony is already owned by its namesake.

3) Zee is a mostly pure play TV/film group that's independent.

4) Sun is a TV group that's part of a complete media conglomerate with tv/radio/newspaper/etc.

5) TV18 actually has a bunch of CNBC channels through a NBCU deal, but it's owned by Reliance which is one of India's largest conglomerates. They won't sell that, and even if they did Viacom has a joint venture with them so might be at an advantage in buying them out.

Basically, if you're Comcast then the only way into the Indian market in a big way is to make a play at Zee or Sun because Star and TV18 are off-limits now, and the only way that Sony's Indian division comes up for sale is if Sony sells its entire tv/film entertainment division.