Could ''Land of Oz" Come to Disney? | Inside Universal Forums

Could ''Land of Oz" Come to Disney?

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nico

Staff
Jan 30, 2013
Having disney create the land of oz is obviously not my own idea, but i was just wondering what you thought the merits/issues would be. Does Oz have enough draw to pull in the numbers WWOHP brought to IOA? My sister goes to Oz fest in Indiana every year, and shed probably suffer from a stroke while entering the Emerald City.

No, it does not have nearly the pull and by the time Disney would finish building it Oz would be as irrelevant as Avatar is now.

But is the property of Oz as a whole really comparable to Avatar? There is a proposed sequel already green lit, and the design work of the Emerald city is based very heavily on the 1939 version. When you build the yellow brick road, youre not just referencing James Franco and Mila Kunis.

I think we need to put down the notion of Potter "killers". Nothing will have the draw of Potter with the exception of potentially Star Wars (if done right). Nothing else can possibly match the draw of Potter.

No, it does not have nearly the pull and by the time Disney would finish building it Oz would be as irrelevant as Avatar is now.

the franchise is as iconic and timeless as Harry Potter, if not more. it'd get people interested definitely. it'd be like WWOHP, just in its own way imo.

No way Oz would be nearly as popular. Most people don't even know there is more than one book (some are realizing now), the original movie was released so long ago most kids have no clue what it is today. WWOHP is successful because all generations got into it. Children and adults have read the books and/or watched the movies. That is not the case with Oz. How many people do you know that have read the oz books? My husband is the only one I know of. I know I never did, neither did my parents, or any of my friends. And the only reason he read them was because one summer his mom paid him a penny a page to read books. So he was reading everything in the library for his age.

Yes, it is a classic movie. But that does not make a franchise and yes there are more movies to come. But the current one is getting mixed reviews and isn't beating out Potter in terms of gross sales domestic or world wide. So then there is the question will the next movie do better or worse, because you never know. People have to go see the movie or read the books first before they care about the theme park.

I don't even know if Star Wars will be a killer. I personally think it would be good and attract a lot of people (if done right), but would it kill WWOHP? Nope. Star Wars is more of a little boys type of thing and the older generations. But do little girls like Star Wars? Not nearly as much. I am not saying it won't be hugely popular, but it won't kill anything.

WWOHP appealed to multiple generations and both girls and guys when it was released.

I don't even know if Star Wars will be a killer. I personally think it would be good and attract a lot of people (if done right), but would it kill WWOHP? Nope. Star Wars is more of a little boys type of thing and the older generations. But do little girls like Star Wars? Not nearly as much. I am not saying it won't be hugely popular, but it won't kill anything.

WWOHP appealed to multiple generations and both girls and guys when it was released.

True, when used to say it will "kill" HP, nothing would do that. HP has it's own drawing power in its own right. I think for comparisons sake....the 2 things that would COMPARE to the draw of HP, and stand a chance at pushing it popularity-wise is Star Wars....and middle earth.

Oh god, middle earth :drool:

True, when used to say it will "kill" HP, nothing would do that. HP has it's own drawing power in its own right. I think for comparisons sake....the 2 things that would COMPARE to the draw of HP, and stand a chance at pushing it popularity-wise is Star Wars....and middle earth.

Oh god, middle earth :drool:

I think Middle Earth would do good, but will it be to the level of Star Wars? I don't think so. Mainly because kids under 13 probably won't have watched the movies. Star wars has cartoons and things like that for the younger kids. Again, both of these are more "guy" type films. I am a geeky tomboy girl (watched Stargate, huge football fan, role playing, computers, board games, played magic the gathering in college, etc) and I am not into Middle Earth stuff or Star Wars. I probably could get into Star Wars if I tried and probably will try some day, but tried with Middle Earth and it was boring too me.

To be like WWOHP and draw in huge number of people for many years to come it has to be something so mainstream that all ages and all genders like it and want to see it. Star Wars comes the closest, I will give you all that, but I just don't see Middle Earth.

I think Middle Earth would do good, but will it be to the level of Star Wars? I don't think so. Mainly because kids under 13 probably won't have watched the movies. Star wars has cartoons and things like that for the younger kids. Again, both of these are more "guy" type films. I am a geeky tomboy girl (watched Stargate, huge football fan, role playing, computers, board games, played magic the gathering in college, etc) and I am not into Middle Earth stuff or Star Wars. I probably could get into Star Wars if I tried and probably will try some day, but tried with Middle Earth and it was boring too me.

To be like WWOHP and draw in huge number of people for many years to come it has to be something so mainstream that all ages and all genders like it and want to see it. Star Wars comes the closest, I will give you all that, but I just don't see Middle Earth.

I think, if done right, Middle Earth would be absolutley gorgeous. The details, dragons, the characters, the orcs, wizards, ents, hobbits, the shire etc.

Even if the kids didnt know about it, they would want to go, and it could in-turn create new fans.

Not a chance I don't think anything could really stand a chance against WWOHP Star Wars maybe if done correctly, Middle Earth if done correctly but I dont think that would even be able to topple it.

the original movie was released so long ago most kids have no clue what it is today.

Really?!?!????? I pity any child that has not seen or heard of the 1939 version of the Wizard of Oz.

- - - Updated - - -

1. Star Wars
2. Harry Potter
3. Middle Earth

Nothing can really touch these 3. And I don't think that anything can "kill" Unis WWOHP.........but Star Wars would definitely be as big or bigger......depending how it is done.