1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Could Universal Add a Sports Experience like Disney with the NBA?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Universal' started by ThrillRideLover3214, Aug 18, 2018.

1. ThrillRideLover3214

ThrillRideLover3214 Rookie

Just asking out of curiosity WDW is slated to open their brand new NBA Experience at Disney Springs I believe sometime next year and was wondering since Uni likes to compete with Disney sometimes do you see them adding a similar sport experience to their already acquired land of about 500 acres? I was thinking like an MLS experience or something since Orlando has a Pro Soccer Team.

tankart150 likes this.
  2. GAcoaster

GAcoaster Veteran Member

I hope not! Total waste of space...

3. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

The only chance I'd see of something like that, is a resort next to (or collabing with) Rosen Creek and bringing something based off of The Golf Channel.

That said, I'd rather want something more Art of Animation-esque with DWA/Illumination for the Southern Property as opposed to a sporting destination. It'd just be a waste of space for doing something sports related.

4. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

They would’ve just updated NBA City if that were that case, or in any event done a similar experience already.

tankart150 and OrlLover like this.
  5. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

I think something like Grill Brew is destined for Site B...But that's the extent of it

6. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

The only sport that really has huge international appeal is Soccer (although Basketball is gaining momentum around the globe rapidly). I can totally see a Soccer/FIFA concept working and doing gangbusters considering the amount of international guests, but I think we need to keep expectations in check and expect a generic sports bar like Grill Brew.

Disneyhead likes this.
  7. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

Yes, the amount of foreign tourists standing out and watching the World Cup was surprising to me

8. Skold

Skold Rookie

Last year (2017) we went to NBC during the FA Cup final match (not on purpose) and both floors and the outside were *packed*. We typically stop by at night for a Stanley Cup finals game or two and it is really busy for that as well - both floors open and people cheering and yelling. There is definitely demand for a sports bar in CityWalk.

9. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

I swear. Just open a soccer centric sports bar, that has an English Pub vibe, and call it the "F.A."

You'd make a killing.

10. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

I... what? NBC *is* a sports bar.

AlexanderMBush likes this.
  11. Skold

Skold Rookie

Yeah, I meant to say that there is in fact a demand for this. Two? I don't know. But the one certainly seems to be working.

12. ThrillRideLover3214

just thought something similar to the former espn zones with a indoor sports arena could work including interactive games. The only espn zone operating is in Anaheim, California.

13. AlexanderMBush

Actually...that one is dead.

tankart150 likes this.
  14. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

I took it that people were talking about Site B.

Frogki likes this.
  15. IAmFloridaBorn

IAmFloridaBorn Veteran Member

No one is thinking outside the box like you are. So I'll answer and say yes they could and if they were smart they would do so. Unfortunately based on recent additions at Universal, it would seem they dont care about locals that much like they used too. Capturing the paying guest be it a local or tourist is all they care about. Same as Disney. But I like you , hope that changes one day.

tankart150 likes this.
  16. ThrillRideLover3214

Same I just thought of it because Disney is always trying to best universal in any possible way you know.

tankart150 likes this.
  17. AlexanderMBush

People always try besting one-another. Both Disney & Universal know this. However, one must acknowledge the past, to not repeat it.

Honestly, I don't get the vibe that we will see an sports-complex of any kind for the entertainment section popping up for UOSouth. I think it takes away space that be better suited to widen the current clientele that is coming to Universal Orlando Resort.

They already have something like that in the sports category, with NBCGrillBrew.

OrlLover and tankart150 like this.
  18. Legacy

Legacy Veteran Member

Disney has essentially cornered the market. Several national and international sports tournaments take place at ESPN already. There's multiple events occuring simultaneously there on a near weekly basis. There's simply not enough teams with the resources to support a similar facility a few miles away. Universal will let Disney have this.

AlexanderMBush likes this.
  19. RevFreako

RevFreako Member

If they do anything, I wouldn't be surprised to see a physical WWE hall of Fame, like was rumored for what is now Toothsomes.

20. JungleSkip

JungleSkip Premium Member

I don't see any chance of that happening, especially since WWE is no longer on NBC networks.