COVID Related Ride Changes | Inside Universal Forums

COVID Related Ride Changes

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

BAC

Jun 22, 2016
Headed to Universal in May, first time in four years. Curious - What significant ride changes have been made as a COVID precaution? I wouldn't consider plexiglass as a significant change, although it does affect some sight lines. I would consider 'significant' to be the elimination of the elevator scene in Escape from Gringotts, or removing the water spray effects on rides like Kong.

I didn't see a thread on this yet, perhaps I missed it.

Headed to Universal in May, first time in four years. Curious - What significant ride changes have been made as a COVID precaution? I wouldn't consider plexiglass as a significant change, although it does affect some sight lines. I would consider 'significant' to be the elimination of the elevator scene in Escape from Gringotts, or removing the water spray effects on rides like Kong.

I didn't see a thread on this yet, perhaps I missed it.

There was a thread but it was removed due to some heated discussions....

Masks must remain worn on all rides, but you do have the option to remove them on water rides. The queues enforce social distancing, and most of the preshows are turned off so you don't congregate in big areas together. Before boarding, each person receives a squirt of hand sanitizer. Water effects have been 50/50.

Those are the basics.

There was a thread but it was removed due to some heated discussions....

Masks must remain worn on all rides, but you do have the option to remove them on water rides. The queues enforce social distancing, and most of the preshows are turned off so you don't congregate in big areas together. Before boarding, each person receives a squirt of hand sanitizer. Water effects have been 50/50.

Those are the basics.
Thanks for the response. Really looking for major ride changes that affect the experience. The two major examples I can think of are the Elevator at Gringotts and the Stretching Room (Dis). If most of the pre-shows are turned off, that's a pretty big deal. I'm thinking about Shrek and Minions. That's too bad. Hopefully they come back at some point.

And for those who claim the pre-shows are lame anyway, think about us that don't live in Florida and only get to the parks every 3-5 years. You want the whole experience. -BAC

Thanks for the response. Really looking for major ride changes that affect the experience. The two major examples I can think of are the Elevator at Gringotts and the Stretching Room (Dis). If most of the pre-shows are turned off, that's a pretty big deal. I'm thinking about Shrek and Minions. That's too bad. Hopefully they come back at some point.

And for those who claim the pre-shows are lame anyway, think about us that don't live in Florida and only get to the parks every 3-5 years. You want the whole experience. -BAC

I'll add that when it comes to pre-shows, it depends on what kind of ride it is and what is discussed in the pre-show. Motion simulators will still have you experiencing the pre show. Case in point you still experience the safety pre-show of Fallon, and the whole pre-show of the Simpsons. (I can't say anything for Shrek or Minions since I did not ride those.) You'll also see the pre-show for the Bourne Stuntacular (be it in the actual pre-show room, or in the queue due to social distancing, they play the pre-show video in the queue TV's.).

As for Disney (sans Epcot since I didn't go there.), the pre-shows you skip are Haunted Mansion, Tower of Terror, Rockin' Roller Coaster, Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway, Dinosaur and Smuggler's Run. 3-D shows like Muppet*Vision still play the pre-show, Star Tours still does the pre-show, Flight of Passage skips the 1st pre-show and shows you the 2nd one with the safety spiel.

Rise of the Resistance is the main outlier as it runs all the pre-shows...if they're operational.