Daredevil: Born Again | Inside Universal Forums

Daredevil: Born Again

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Nick

Staff
Sep 22, 2011
Orlando

Obviously Cox and D’Onofrio are coming back, but it’s still unclear about the rest of the main cast who portrayed characters like Foggy, Karen, Vanessa, etc, along with others like Punisher and Elektra. I’m sure Echo will be in this show as well.

Also of note, the writers are new which is slightly of concern, but I guess not surprising since I’m not expecting this show to be any more violent than Moon Knight.

I was thinking and I wonder if this show will sort of be like a soft reboot of the Netflix series and this series will sort of act like a quasi-Daredevil S4 (and maybe even a bit like JJ 3.5).

To me, it doesn’t matter if it’s not as gritty as long as the main cast of Charlie Cox, Debrah-Ann Woll, and Elden Hensen are there as the glue and we know D’Onofrio will be there, too. Others to come back could include Rosario Dawson, Kristen Ritter, Jon Bernthal, Peter McRobbie (priest), etc.

It would be set post blip so obviously things with these characters would be different anyway and I feel like it would be cool to catch up on where the characters are now, as long as they don’t completely neuter them. I’m not going to say my hope for that is extremely high, but I’ll wait to judge.

I'd be down for DD and Jessica working as a team. Will give this season something new

Rumors are Bulleye might come back in Echo show...so maybe he will finally get a costume and get to fight DD in season 4 full costume

Born Again is my favorite arc of ALL TIME. Across any medium of comics. This is their second attempt at doing it, and I hope hope HOPE they finally get it aligned mostly right. I want Ben Urich. I want an end of her rope Karen Page. A completely depressed and devoid of humanity Murdock. I need to know Disney is willing to prove they can do his stories, not just these characters, right,

Reactions: Nick
I'm don't want to get my hopes dashed, so i'm not expecting anything more than what we saw in Moon Knight violence-wise. However, I would absolutely love it if they went all the way with this project and gave it the green light for TV-MA.

I have to think they are aware of it. With Zombies being TV-MA, they are wanting to begin to go into the matter of TV-MA/R-rated content; and if they're going to go accurate to what Miller did, then TV-MA is the way to go for Murdock.

Reactions: Nick
I watched a video of the announcement of this series at SDCC and Feige was VERY clear with his words. He said "Rounding out Phase 5, we have a series on Disney plus, this is very special, it is going to be an 18 episode first season. 18 episodes!"

Note that he said 18 episode "first season" instead of miniseries. Seems like this might be a multi-season show...

I have to think they are aware of it. With Zombies being TV-MA, they are wanting to begin to go into the matter of TV-MA/R-rated content; and if they're going to go accurate to what Miller did, then TV-MA is the way to go for Murdock.
The only difference I guess is that Zombies is animation whereas Daredevil is live action. I hope we get some clarification on this at D23 because I feel like Blade is one that could go either way between PG-13 or R (and if it goes R, it would actually beat Deadpool 3 in being the MCU's first R-rated movie).

Just because Deadpool is going to be R i'm not getting excited that suddenly they're going to be willing to let a bunch of stuff go that way. Deadpool HAD to be R or else at least half of the core audience - the only people that care to pay to see a Deadpool film - wouldn't even go to see the movie just out of protest.

Reactions: Jerroddragon
I should be really excited for this knowing how amazing season 3 was, but seeing how the completely shafted Kingpin's character, I'm really scared how they're going to screw this up. Like, LEGIT scared this is going to suck. This is what I predict:

-Will probably be TV-MA but will have just enough blood to pass as such and try to make it close to a TV-14
-Will probably shove Kate Bishop and/or Echo in there and let them have more screentime than DareDevil. You know, like how Hawkeye became the Kate Bishop show?
-Will probably have Kingpin continue to wear that ridiculous Hawaiian shirt and make him a scared pansy constantly begging for his life while being thrown around the room like a Looney Toons character.
-Will probably shove more jokes and humor in there.

I really, REALLY hope none of this come to fruition and would be glad to be wrong. This show doesn't have to be quite as good as season 3. If they maintain the seriousness and grit of the past three seasons, I'll be happy. Please PLEASE do not screw this up. If this turns into Echo season 2 or Daredevil Love and Thunder, this will turn me away from the MCU.

I should be really excited for this knowing how amazing season 3 was, but seeing how the completely shafted Kingpin's character, I'm really scared how they're going to screw this up. Like, LEGIT scared this is going to suck. This is what I predict:

-Will probably be TV-MA but will have just enough blood to pass as such and try to make it close to a TV-14
-Will probably shove Kate Bishop and/or Echo in there and let them have more screentime than DareDevil. You know, like how Hawkeye became the Kate Bishop show?
-Will probably have Kingpin continue to wear that ridiculous Hawaiian shirt and make him a scared pansy constantly begging for his life while being thrown around the room like a Looney Toons character.
- That means literally nothing. Worrying about a rating more than quality of the show is like people who were mad The Batman wasn't rated R before it came out only to still love the movie.

- I'm in no way convinced it's going to be great, but the Hawkeye show was always about introducing Kate Bishop... aka Hawkeye. Feige won't do that to Daredevil as he genuinely loves the Netflix show and also knows how much this means to people and he has to get it right. Yes, Echo will probably be in it, but more in a recurring role. It's an 18 episode season, i'm fine with her popping in every now and then.

- They're playing out a Kingpin comic book arc currently where Echo shoots him to kill, but he survives as a blind man. They seem to have scrapped most of Kingpin's arc from Netflix and Hawkeye and Echo are his MCU origin and based on the direction the comic goes and I see things going, he'l be full rage by the time Daredevil comes around in 2024.

- I'm hoping they keep this sort of like the original show in tone, but even if it's toned down a little in terms of blood/gore, I want the feel of the show to feel like one of those Daredevil seasons felt. Netflix Daredevil wasn't a comedic free show either. Foggy Nelson is the comedic relief. Matt Murdock, Claire Temple, Stick, and even Father Lantom. All in their own ways, they provided some comedic relief.

The Punisher coming to the MCU it seems. I assumed as much already, but hearing it from Claire Temple is getting to be as close to a confirmation as we'll get before something like D23.

Last edited:
I'm gonna take a bet Born Again will be the "Reboot" for not just Daredevil, but Jessica Jones, Kilgrave, Luke Cage, and Punisher (alongside small role characters).

Punisher alone could work really well as a show that can headline TV-MA content for D+, especially if they tackle the controversies of his emblem being marred by real world situations.

I'm gonna take a bet Born Again will be the "Reboot" for not just Daredevil, but Jessica Jones, Kilgrave, Luke Cage, and Punisher (alongside small role characters).

Punisher alone could work really well as a show that can headline TV-MA content for D+, especially if they tackle the controversies of his emblem being marred by real world situations.
With 18 episodes, there's plenty of time to dig into a lot of those characters. It's too bad if they ever do Cottonmouth again they'll have to recast. Mahershala Ali was menacing in that role.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush

sighs

Look the Kingpin as presented in Hawkeye was a bore and a waste regarding his role, but AGAIN, if you rewatch the fight scene he was beating the crap out of Kate Bishop who only won out of sheer dumb luck.

I presume you didn’t watch Moon Knight; which shows that Feige does know when to pull his punches regarding Marvel humor.

sighs

Look the Kingpin as presented in Hawkeye was a bore and a waste regarding his role, but AGAIN, if you rewatch the fight scene he was beating the crap out of Kate Bishop who only won out of sheer dumb luck.

I presume you didn’t watch Moon Knight; which shows that Feige does know when to pull his punches regarding Marvel humor.
And also, like, forget the shirt he was wearing or some stupid humor. I like to think he was wearing a Hawaiian Shirt because he had hung it up. This is him coming out of retirement rusty.

What matters is where they were going with him character wise, which is this storyline right here from the comics:
daredevil-15-2.jpg

daredevil-15-5.jpg

Reactions: pumpkinbot343
I wonder if Born again will also refer to DD villains like Bulleyes and Kingpin

Kingpin will be "blind" but use that to step out into the public for sympathy and Bulleye will dawn a costume and become who he really is

Really hoping Bulleye is back because he would make a lot of sense in the Thunderbolt movie