Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

DC's Bird's of Prey

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
Warner Bros. has revealed their first poster for Bird's of Prey (and the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn).

T
hey have had a preview of Birds of Prey attached to screenings of IT: Chapter 2. The film stars Margot Robbie, Ewan Mcgregor, Mary Elizabeth Weinstead, and Jurnee Smollett-Bell; as the film is written by
Christina Hodson (Bumblebee) and directy by Cathy Yan (Dead Pigs, According to My Mother) with the film releasing on February 7th.

Looveee this poster and can't wait for this film. Ive read that the action in this is expected to be similar to a Tarantino action comedy, SIGN ME UP.

Damn. I didn't realize Mary Elizabeth Winstead was in this.

Favorite movie of the year.

Love it, they filmed some scenes in my neighborhood earlier in August. I'm so excited, especially since Black Canary is one of my fav DC heroines. Also, that shot of Black Mask in front of the hanging bodies with one of 'em decpaitated... love it. Love how ruthless Gotham's underworld is.

Watching it again, and I am going to restate my initial feelings: This film looks like it's going to be a surprise, and I really think script wise; we're going to see some greatness from Hodson.

Early reviews got this around 83% on RT. Seems like everyone agrees that its entertaining as hell throughout. Im so excited to catch this film over the weekend, seems like a non stop blast honestly.

Edit: Okay reviews embargo JUST lifted, like 30 min ago haha. Didn't realize. Keeps flucuating between 82% and I saw it as high as 93%. Lets give this another hour or 2 to fully judge the RT score, not that it really means anything in the big picture of things. Anyways, these brief reviews are making me thrilled I pre bought my ticket.

2nd Edit: After 55 reviews, currently sitting at 92%. Wouldn't expect it to raise or go much lower, should stay right around here. Overall I think its sounding like its just an utter blast from beginning to end. I am SO excited!!!!

Last edited:
Movie was solid. It definitely had entertaining action pieces, but the ending was very anti-climatic and it did drag at parts. I get why the movie did the story cuts all out of sorts as an allegory to Harley's erratic and chaotic behavior - but as a viewer, it was a bit jarring. Otherwise, McGregor was great as Black Mask and Robbie was born to play Harley. The young girl who played Cassandra did not work for me. Her acting was too wooden.

7/10

Showings are packed where I am tonight so I may hold out on this until Monday, but if I can catch it this weekend I will. Friend saw it last night and he said its "The most bat Sh!it crazy comic movie" he's seen. So I'm ready haha

So...despite opening at #1 at the box office in the US, the movie only pulled in $33 million. That’s a huge underperformance, even with the lower budget.

I guarantee you if the movie’s title was “Harley Quinn & the Bird’s of Prey” the movie would’ve done better simply on the fact that the title tells people it’s a Harley Quinn movie.

Nobody cares about or knows what Birds of Prey is outside of those that read the comics.

I guarantee you if the movie’s title was “Harley Quinn & the Bird’s of Prey” the movie would’ve done better simply on the fact that the title tells people it’s a Harley Quinn movie.

Nobody cares about or knows what Birds of Prey is outside of those that read the comics.

Agreed - and considering how the movie turned out, it was very much a Harley Quinn movie. They didn't need the Birds of Prey in the title.

Considering it's a Harley Quinn movie, and it seems you're not into her, I'd probably just skip it...
I like the character. It’s just the accent. I know that’s the character but I actually liked it in the cartoon. It’s like if somebody made a really good cheese cake and topped it with mushrooms.

My fiance and I loved the movie. Surprisingly great specific humor with flashes or strong dark undercurrents/violence, this movie felt like it had a distinctive voice and story, which felt refreshing for a comic book movie. Ewan McGregor was fun hamming it up and the world building felt like Gotham has come to life. 8.5/10

I like the character. It’s just the accent. I know that’s the character but I actually liked it in the cartoon. It’s like if somebody made a really good cheese cake and topped it with mushrooms.

Tough call but I'd say go just see it. It's a very creative, but by-the-numbers film. I've seen Deadpool comparisons and I can see it, just not as funny. Ultimately, Harley and Black Mask are the best parts and take a lot of screen time between the both of them.