Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Del Toro Signs Fox, DWA Film Deals

Nov 23, 2013
Seattle, WA!
With the massive success of The Shape of Water, Guillmero Del Toro, the creator of films like Pans Labyrinth, Crimson Peak, the first two Hellboy films, and more, has fully signed on for two major contractual deals.

The first, is continuing his collaboration with Fox Searchlight, to Write, Produce, and Direct all new genre films for Fox Searchlight, and the second, is a deal with DreamWork's Animation to Write, Produce, and Direct family animated films.

This will mark the next stage of collaboration between Del Toro and the two companies, following the success of Shape of Water at Searchlight, and the hit Netflix series, Trollhunters from DreamWorks Animation.

What do you think? Can't get enough of Del Toro, or are you tired of his work? Comment below!

Sources:

Guillermo del Toro Signs With DreamWorks Animation for Family Films – Variety

Fox Searchlight Makes Major Overall Deal With ‘Shape Of Water’s Guillermo Del Toro | Deadline

His animated stuff does much better commericallly than his live action so I think DreamWorks won. I think Del Toro will run into trouble with Fox Searchlight as all the products they do are 20 million dollars and less. That was the biggest issue he had with Universal was the budget for his products were super high.

His animated stuff does much better commericallly than his live action so I think DreamWorks won. I think Del Toro will run into trouble with Fox Searchlight as all the products they do are 20 million dollars and less. That was the biggest issue he had with Universal was the budget for his products were super high.
I mean, The Shape of Water cost just under 20 million and looks like many movies that have double or even triple the budget. Searchlight also has no problem giving Wes Anderson 30-40M budgets to play around with.

I mean, The Shape of Water cost just under 20 million and looks like many movies that have double or even triple the budget. Searchlight also has no problem giving Wes Anderson 30-40M budgets to play around with.

Shape of Water also used a setting that allowed for cheap set pieces and costumes.

Crimson Peak was $55 million with Universal telling Del Toro to cut the budget and Madness of Mountain or something like that which didn't happen was going to cost 122 million and got cancelled after Del Toro insisted it remain R rated.

Also the only film Fox Searchlight gave above 30 Million to produce to Wes Anderson was Fantastic Mr Fox. The rest of his films were 25 million and less. The one film where he broke $50 million dollar budget (The Life Aquatic) was released by Disney.

Shape of Water also used a setting that allowed for cheap set pieces and costumes.

Crimson Peak was $55 million with Universal telling Del Toro to cut the budget and Madness of Mountain or something like that which didn't happen was going to cost 122 million and got cancelled after Del Toro insisted it remain R rated.

Also the only film Fox Searchlight gave above 30 Million to produce to Wes Anderson was Fantastic Mr Fox. The rest of his films were 25 million and less. The one film where he broke $50 million dollar budget (The Life Aquatic) was released by Disney.
Isle of Dogs has to be more expensive than Fantastic Mr Fox was; that budget might be close to 50 million.