Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dining Pass

Sep 20, 2009
Isla Nublar
Here is a "best kept secret" that could be a great treat for your next Universal vacation.

This past weekend I went to Universal Orlando with my sister and grandparents. I had my annual pass, my sister had a 1-Day/@-Park pass, but my grandparents each had a 1-Day/1-Park pass. I figured they would enjoy Universal Studios much more, but I wanted them to enjoy my favorite restaurant at Islands of Adventure, Mythos.

I read in a Universal Orlando guidebook of the Universal Dining Pass. The Dining Pass enables guests to enter one of the two Universal Orlando theme parks essentially for free to eat.

To do this, you must first have a reservation at Mythos or other restaurant of your choice (this may work for the other full-service restaurants or even the quick-service restaurants, but c'mon, we all know Mythos is the best). You may call in the reservation, or you can do what we did, and have one member of the party run in and make the reservation that already has admission. Then go to Guest Services, and tell the assistant you would like a Dining Pass. They will then ask for a credit card, and they will get your card information, but they will not charge you (more on that later). Then they will print the pass that looks quite like an admission ticket, and you may proceed through the entry gates to your meal. You then have about 2 1/2 hours to eat and return to the Guest Services building. If you overstay your welcome in the park however (i.e. ride rides), they will charge your card for a day of admission. However, if you are back in time (which is quite simple to do because Mythos has blazing fast service), you can enjoy a meal at Mythos without ever paying park admission.

Hope this helps on your next Universal Orlando vacation!

I read about this. If I'm ever in the area with my mom, I'll definitely want her to try Mythos. It's my favorite restaurant ANYWHERE.

What kind of food do they have there guys? I might try to convince my family to try this out...given that we've never eaten at Mythos.

The menu is pretty selective, with only about ten to fifteen entrees to choose from. Aside from that there are soups and salads and appetizers as well. Mythos is treated just like most full-service restaurants outside of theme parks, where the head chef has very much freedom with cooking. The menu changes often, and nearly every item is very unique. For instance, I ordered the Buffalo BBQ Fried Chicken Wrap, which was about the yummiest thing I have ever tasted. It was fried chicken strips, brushed with barbecue sauce, surrounded with leafy greens and cheddar mashed potatoes in a green tortilla. I'll include a picture.

photo-3-2.jpg

This picture was taken when I was very nearly done with my meal. This was the last of 3 wraps I was served, and here is about 2/3rds of the fries as well. Towards the top-left of the plate you can see what was a nice sauce (possibly ranch dressing) that was drizzled on the plate. Not pictured was the quite tasty honey mustard that I dipped my french fries in, and some of the best sweet tea I've ever tasted (which is almost blasphemy coming from someone raised in the South).

To anyone doubtful, I highly recommend going to Mythos, as will anyone who has eaten there. And of course beyond the food, the atmosphere is fantastic. The inside of the restaurant is beautiful, with an open kitchen, and a large window with a great view across the Great Inland Sea. Sometimes when the table conversation slows (or even when it doesn't), I will find myself drooling at the sight of Hulk across the water. :drool5:

^ That wrap is outta hand. I usually get the Risotto of the Day or the Pastabilities, depending on what they are for that day but it's always amazing.

The wrap is awesome, as is the one mushroom brioche with a brandy? sauce...it was TO DIE FOR!!! If you ever see that on the menu (appetizer) and you like mushrooms order it!

An edit to the original post: You don't have to have a reservation already to get the dining pass. You can just go to Guest Services and they will call ahead for you.

What is the pricing of Mythos like?

Also, does a team member go with you to make sure your going to Mythos? If not, would it be possible once you get to Mythos, to simply walk back out & than into the park for those 2 hours, or do you have to some how "prove" that you did actuallly eat there? I mean, what are the "official" rules here, if any, that you would have to follow in order to not get charged or get in trouble.

For example, my family of 4 has annual passes. So what if we wanted to bring a friend & use this technique to get them into the park for free. After the friend would go to guest services to get the "dining pass", & we all walked into the park together up tp Mythos, would they really keep an eye to make sure they are going to Mythos/eating at Mythos? Or would they be able to walk in & make it "look like" they are going to eat, wait a few minutes, than simply walk back out?

But, if worse case scenario, if our friend had to eat there, paying for a meal for them to get in vs full price for admission, I'm sure iwould still be a hell of a deal if the food isnt too expensive. Just getting ideas here. Does this also work for USF?

Last edited:
Ok, just looked at prices. So, would getting just a dessert at $1.75 count as eating there? &, even better, would you be able to take it to go? If so, paying less than 2 bucks to bring someone else without paying for a full day ticket would be AWESOME & I would have no problem paying that.

What is the pricing of Mythos like?

Also, does a team member go with you to make sure your going to Mythos? If not, would it be possible once you get to Mythos, to simply walk back out & than into the park for those 2 hours, or do you have to some how "prove" that you did actuallly eat there? I mean, what are the "official" rules here, if any, that you would have to follow in order to not get charged or get in trouble.

For example, my family of 4 has annual passes. So what if we wanted to bring a friend & use this technique to get them into the park for free. After the friend would go to guest services to get the "dining pass", & we all walked into the park together up tp Mythos, would they really keep an eye to make sure they are going to Mythos/eating at Mythos? Or would they be able to walk in & make it "look like" they are going to eat, wait a few minutes, than simply walk back out?

But, if worse case scenario, if our friend had to eat there, paying for a meal for them to get in vs full price for admission, I'm sure iwould still be a hell of a deal if the food isnt too expensive. Just getting ideas here. Does this also work for USF?

I think you have to return to Guest Services with your receipt before the 2.5 hours are up in order to avoid your card being charged for a day's admission.

OK, this sounds too good to be true, so I want to make absolutely sure there wont be a problem if I want to take someone else without paying for an extra ticket.

As an AP holder, whenever I go to IOA, THE MOST time we ever spend is 2 hours anyway most days, & that's without rushing, as we pretty much only ride FJ, Spiderman, & maybe a coaster or two, easily done in less than 2 hours if you know how to do it right.

So your pretty much telling me I could bring someone else, they get the dining pass, get an ice cream for less than $2, we do everything in less than 2 hours, they come back with the receipt, & they wont get charged???

If so, that would be AWESOME!!!!!! I have a few friends Id love to bring, but couldnt afford to otherwise, & this would be GREAT option.

Last edited: