Disney Acquiring Lucasfilm | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Acquiring Lucasfilm

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

ReelJustice

V.I.P. Member
Aug 6, 2008
Universal City
Bob Iger just announced that The Walt Disney Company is acquiring Lucasfilm – the global entertainment company founded by George Lucas and the home of the legendary Star Wars franchise. In addition to getting the rights to one of the greatest family franchises and epic stories of all time, Disney is also acquiring all of Lucasfilm’s operating businesses – including Industrial Light and Magic and Skywalker Sound.

http://thewaltdisneycompany.com/disney-news/press-releases/2012/10/disney-acquire-lucasfilm-ltd

Last edited:
Wow that's pretty huge news . . . . . . . bring on Star Wars land :saber:

"Fans can expect a new feature film, Star Wars Episode 7, in theaters worldwide in 2015" I dont know how I feel about this one. You would think though, with a new movie coming out and the huge huge fan base Star Wars had they would for sure try to capitalize and do something huge with this.

Here comes the Mickey Jar Jar Binks I have always dreamed of :bang:

Last edited:
From Iger's statement: "The last Star Wars movie release was 2005's Revenge of the Sith – and we believe there's substantial pent up demand. In 2015, we're planning to release Star Wars Episode 7 – the first feature film under the "Disney-Lucasfilm" brand. That will be followed by Episodes 8 and 9 – and our long term plan is to release a new Star Wars feature film every two to three years. We're very happy that George Lucas will be creative consultant on our new Star Wars films and that Kathleen Kennedy, the current Co-Chair of Lucasfilm, will executive produce."

Well... I don't condone this on the boards; but HOLY **** !

Best news: George Lucas will serve as Creative Consultant to the film.

tumblr_lnm804yPw91qbopag.gif

Words cannot describe how happy I am right now. This is the BEST move Iger has made. More so than Pixar, more so than Marvel.

Now...give me Indy land and Star Wars land

Well, as myself and many have been saying all along, to compete with Potter there is really only one franchise to armor in and this is it. I am STOKED! Please make Star Wars a land with Cantina restaurant and bar!! Star Wars weekends will be a great platform to release expansion news, assuming there are any on the horizon :)

Wow.....just. Wow.

As if acquiring them isn't enough, they dropped a whole new movie on us. If they have faith in the new series/it's huge like it probably will be, they have to add SOMETHING to DHS.

Here's your Harry Potter killer. While it makes more sense than the Marvel acquisition (based on the existing relationship and extensive merchandising), I'm absolutely stunned by this move. Never thought Lucas would let it go.