Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread | Page 27 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney/FOX Acquisition Thread

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
CNBC posted an article by the British news-site Reuters and this is the only source I found before others got up as well. I'm not sure what news article you want me to link from, CNBC isn't Fox News here, pretty much independent, and is the only "legit" site along with Disney's ABC. Off course, for me personally and from other sources, Comcast is out for blood, they're aggressively wanting to acquire Fox's key assets from Disney since the Disney/Fox was announced in December 2017. There's nothing you can dispute that.
Oh you can link whatever site you want. I was more saying as a word of caution. CNBC is obviously going to be more biased than other, non-associated sites was my only point.

I do agree however that this is going to get interesting.

Oh you can link whatever site you want. I was more saying as a word of caution. CNBC is obviously going to be more biased than other, non-associated sites was my only point.

I do agree however that this is going to get interesting.

you do know CNBC put out anti-Sky purchases articles? They have a main purpose which is to give the best financial advice out there including turning on their own company.

Really? After all of the CNBC articles being posted here for some time, now you're coming up saying it's "obviously" gonna be "biased"? I'm sorry to say, but that almost sounds like CNBC is somewhat equivalent to Fox News and thereby should not be posted, which is insulting and is ridiculous.

Really? After all of the CNBC articles being posted here for some time, now you're coming up saying it's "obviously" gonna be "biased"? I'm sorry to say, but that almost sounds like CNBC is somewhat equivalent to Fox News and thereby should not be posted, which is insulting and is ridiculous.
I just told you you can post whatever you want. This isn't some mod thing or and I don't want to make a big deal of this bc I honestly don't care.

I was just saying i'd personally lean towards news outlets that aren't involved because I don't know if there are any motivations behind what they are putting out there. But that's me. I could care less otherwise and was more/less just making an offhand comment.

CNBC's sources are typically Comcast execs in any merger related matter involving Comcast (same was true back when they tried to buy TimeWarner Cable).

WSJ's sources are typically Fox/News Corp execs in any merger related matter involving the Murdochs.

Reuters and the other news sites that aren't aligned with either will be more trustworthy and likely to get a more representative picture in a matter like this.

Regardless, there's going to be tons of speculation flowing on both sides until mid-June. Comcast's offer isn't likely to come until around June 15, so we'll hear a lot of speculation over the next month, but it doesn't mean anything until 1) the judge rules on the AT&T-TW merger, 2) Fox gets its ruling from the British Competition authority on Sky, and 3) Comcast gets its ruling from the European Competition authority on Sky.

Those 3 things all happen around June 10-15. Assuming #1 and #3 go smoothly (i.e. AT&T can take over all of TW with minimal restrictions and Comcast can take over Sky), then Comcast will give a new bid.

David Faber was saying on CNBC that the Fox shareholder vote would be in mid-July.

That would give Comcast roughly a full month between mid-June when they find out the AT&T-TW result with which to place a higher offer.

Either way, it doesn't sound like Fox will rush the vote to try to force through the Disney offer.

David Faber was saying on CNBC that the Fox shareholder vote would be in mid-July.

That would give Comcast roughly a full month between mid-June when they find out the AT&T-TW result with which to place a higher offer.

Either way, it doesn't sound like Fox will rush the vote to try to force through the Disney offer.

Time will play a factor one way or another. If Fox does turn to Comcast, then you're setting the clock back another 12-18 months and basically starting over on getting a deal done. I'm sure that will factor into things.

Looks like the Comcast-Fox deal will not be done until late 2019 or early-2020, the same years Super Nintendo World opens at Universal Studios Japan. I have a feeling that the Murdochs might have some sort of grip on their power to prevent the Comcast/Fox deal from taking place. Disney will get a $2.5 billion breakup fee if Fox drops the House of Mouse in favor of Comcast, and would use the money to buy some of Fox's IPs or around them. Disney already signaled they were willing to drop Sky if it means to maintain a grip-hold of Fox's entertainment-related assets in the U.S. So it seems like Disney is put in a tight situation here and I may have a feeling Comcast might win over this one.

SO I might not get to see my avengers and my X-men holding hands and fighting Galactus?

You won't know that until the final stages. That'll be the messiest part since no one has the contract. You'll get all kinds of answers, but nobody in the public really knows right now.

Fox doesn't own the characters, so some say the rights aren't there's to sell. So if you break up/dissolve Fox the rights go back to Marvel. But if you continue to operate Fox in its current state, you may be able to hang onto the rights. But there could be language in the deal that negates that possibility too. Nobody really knows.

We only knew Disney was getting the rights because the rights either reverted or got absorbed. The logisics didn't matter.

You won't know that until the final stages. That'll be the messiest part since no one has the contract. You'll get all kinds of answers, but nobody in the public really knows right now.

Fox doesn't own the characters, so some say the rights aren't there's to sell. So if you break up/dissolve Fox the rights go back to Marvel. But if you continue to operate Fox in its current state, you may be able to hang onto the rights. But there could be language in the deal that negates that possibility too. Nobody really knows.

We only knew Disney was getting the rights because the rights either reverted or got absorbed. The logisics didn't matter.
So there’s some weird possible future where the fantastic four Butt heads with the avengers but Disney doesn’t become even More of a giant media monopoly.
Strange.

So there’s some weird possible future where the fantastic four Butt heads with the avengers but Disney doesn’t become even More of a giant media monopoly.
Strange.
Strange indeed.

Doctor-Strange-2.png

Reactions: Magic-Man
Strange.

Yes. No clue how likely it is. But it's one of the 14 million outcomes.

And probably best. Chances are slim that Universal will be successful with Marvel films. We've seen too many franchises fall (including the Dark Universe so far) to think they'll succeed. Marvel has the factory to make it happen. And then Disney doesn't get into business we probably don't want them in.

Reactions: AlexanderMBush
Yes. No clue how likely it is. But it's one of the 14 million outcomes.

And probably best. Chances are slim that Universal will be successful with Marvel films. We've seen too many franchises fall (including the Dark Universe so far) to think they'll succeed. Marvel has the factory to make it happen. And then Disney doesn't get into business we probably don't want them in.

Food for thought, could Universal have the bargaining power if they get Marvel characters, to make a deal ala MS/Sony?

Food for thought, could Universal have the bargaining power if they get Marvel characters, to make a deal ala MS/Sony?

That could happen. But Sony is on its last legs. They needed the help. I know Universal did the whole Oswald-Al Michaels trade... But that feels like a lifetime ago now.

But what does Universal have outside of Fast and Minions that can do a billion? Maybe that want in on that action.

Universal does have something Disney/Marvel wants, which is the distribution rights for an Incredible Hulk movie.

If Marvel wants X-Men and Universal want successful superhero movies, that could be the piece that pulls the strings in such a situation.

Of course, if Disney fails to get X-Men rights, I’m not sure how much they would care to pursue them hard afterwards. I mean, Comcast is gonna be the one that screwed this up from Disney’s POV so not a great working relationship.

No, Universal isn't going to bargain for any deal with the House of Mouse ever. They're already a rich movie studio in the world, mainly thanks to the backing of Comcast willing to invest in NBCUniversal's assets. It's impossible for Comcast and Disney to come up with an agreement because they are bitter rivals in the theme park and film industry arenas. They both want to be powerful and rather not agree to something that would benefit one side over the other.

Sony, on the other hand, is struggling; they have no true good franchises for a long time aside from Spider-Man. Their latest Ghostbusters movie bombed badly in the BO and critics alike, along with other strings of other Sony movies. With the exception of Jumanji, most of Sony's films just plain suck.