Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Annual Pass Struture and Pricing Change

Jan 31, 2013
Disney is going for the gold digging.

New Annual pass structure looks like it was intended to reduce AP holders.

For the most common Florida AP this averages out to about a 15% increase from last year. Now with less discounts and new blackout dates.

It introduces blackout dates to all but the very highest pass level.

Disney Platinum Plus Pass
New: $829, DVC/Florida: $729. + tax. Renewal: $705, DVC/Florida $619. + tax.
Includes: Parking, Magic Band, 4 parks, PhotoPass DL, No Block Out Dates, Water Parks, Oak Trail Golf and ESPN WWOS

Disney Platinum Pass
New: $749, DVC/Florida $649. + tax. Renewal: $635 - DVC/Florida $549 + tax.
Platinum Pass Includes: Parking, Magic Band, 4 parks, Park Hopping, PhotoPass download, No Block Out Dates

Disney Gold Pass
New: Florida/DVC ONLY $549 + tax. Renewal: $466 + tax.
Gold Pass Includes: Parking, Magic Band, 4 parks, Park Hopping, PhotoPass downloads
Black Out Dates: December 17–31, 2015; January 1, 2016; March 19–April 1, 2016; December 16–31, 2016; January 1–2, 2017.

Disney Silver Pass
New: Florida Residents Only $389 + tax. Renewal $330 + tax.
Silver Pass Includes: Parking, Magic Band, 4 parks, Park Hopping
Black Out Dates: December 17–31, 2015; January 1, 2016; March 19–April 1, 2016; June 6–August 11, 2016; December 16–31, 2016; January 1–2, 2017.

Disney Weekday Select Pass
New: $259 + tax.
Weekday Select Pass Includes: Parking, Magic Band, 4 parks, Park Hopping
Black Out Dates: No Saturday or Sunday admission; December 17–31, 2015; January 1, 2016;
March 19–April 1, 2016; June 6–August 11, 2016; December 16–31, 2016; January 1–2, 2017.

Epcot After 4 Pass
New: Florida Resident Only: $249 + tax. Renewal: $211 + tax.
Epcot After 4 Pass Includes: Parking, Magic Band, Admission to Epcot only after 4PM

Parking went up to $20 (For comparison parking was half that at $10 only 8 years ago)

Tables in Wonderland went up $50

Disneyland prices went up even more.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think this is good, and I hope it does weed a significant chunk of people out. I'm sure I'm not alone in thinking I'd rather pay higher prices if it means a less crowded/more enjoyable experience. Hoping for a similar shift in HHN ticket prices soon too.

And still the "the real fans" will pay, and pay, and pay and tell themselves it's a good thing.
And it is a good thing, please dear Disney company, triple the prices before Christmas (or is it called the holidays), they will come and leave the rude, selfish, egocentric people out of your gates. Only room for nice, clean rich people who deserve you and your extra ticketed events, viewing area's and overpriced cup cakes. ;)

I wonder when people will stop going to the parks. And I mean both companies, Disney and Universal. Its cheaper to go on a 5 day relaxing cruise than to go on an Orlando vacation. You pay for hotel, parking, entrance, food, merchandise. Don't want to wait 60 min? Here buy express.

And paying for parking pisses me off. I would rather them just increase ticket prices. Charge me for leaving my car here to then charge me $100+ to enter your park.

Last edited:
You guys are being immature. Dont whine about things that are expensive being only for "rich people". Going to theme parks is a luxury, not a necessity of life. If you want to get a Disney annual pass, you do a thing called saving your money and prioritizing your budget. And it'll be all the more worth it when the parks are less busy all the time.

Here's the thing. I don't think going to the parks should be such a luxurious actitivity. What's luxurious about having to walk in the Florida heat all day waiting in lines. Sure it's fun but I won't be going as often and not because I'm broke, but because my money can be spent in better ways.

One thing is going by yourself and another thing is taking your family of four. I love the parks but feel like nowadays I can find more to do with my money instead of hitting the parks.

It seems like it's only a $5 monthly increase from what I'm paying already for what would now be considered a "gold" pass. I'm also gonna get free PhotoPass downloads from it, which is fine with me since they've added ugly watermarks over the photos.

You guys are being immature. Dont whine about things that are expensive being only for "rich people". Going to theme parks is a luxury, not a necessity of life. If you want to get a Disney annual pass, you do a thing called saving your money and prioritizing your budget. And it'll be all the more worth it when the parks are less busy all the time.

This is the same attitude that got Sony in trouble with the PS3. "We expect our fans to get a second job", etc. We're fans of theme parks, and raising prices out of sync of an increased quality or quantity of product is unacceptable. And using the philosophy that it'll price people out and that's ok is nuts. I love theme parks and want others to experience the fun and wonder I do, that's not acceptable. Is there a point where the price could be come unacceptable?

In addition to this, Tables in Wonderland has gone up 50% and major staffing cuts are hitting Epcot and DHS this coming week. This is not good.

Here's the thing. I don't think going to the parks should be such a luxurious actitivity. What's luxurious about having to walk in the Florida heat all day waiting in lines. Sure it's fun but I won't be going as often and not because I'm broke, but because my money can be spent in better ways.

One thing is going by yourself and another thing is taking your family of four. I love the parks but feel like nowadays I can find more to do with my money instead of hitting the parks.

It's something that is fun to do...in the same way going to the movies or going out to eat is. Just because something is a luxury of life doesn't make it a "luxurious activity."
And that's great for you if you find your money is spent better elsewhere. I was in a fraternity during my undergrad. It was absolutely NOT a necessity but I thought I would get a lot out of it and sacrificed other things in order to pay my dues. Some people think it's stupid, but it's how I prioritized my budget. And you know what? I would never complain that it was TOO expensive, because I was fully aware it was something that I WANTED to take part in, and that it was entirely up to me to be a part of it.

Believe it or not, people do not HAVE to go to Disney. It is not a priority of life. So if the demand is there, why not up prices? That's how the economy works folks.

It's something that is fun to do...in the same way going to the movies or going out to eat is. Just because something is a luxury of life doesn't make it a "luxurious activity."
And that's great for you if you find your money is spent better elsewhere. I was in a fraternity during my undergrad. It was absolutely NOT a necessity but I thought I would get a lot out of it and sacrificed other things in order to pay my dues. Some people think it's stupid, but it's how I prioritized my budget. And you know what? I would never complain that it was TOO expensive, because I was fully aware it was something that I WANTED to take part in, and that it was entirely up to me to be a part of it.

Believe it or not, people do not HAVE to go to Disney. It is not a priority of life. So if the demand is there, why not up prices? That's how the economy works folks.

Sure...

It's a sign of the times where being reasonably profitable is no longer ok. The game seems to demand gross profitability or close the division.
It's a sign of the times that people feel that organizations owe them something and that it's unfair that things don't come to them on a silver platter. You gotta work for what you want. If you feel that Disney ticket prices are steep, then you don't have to buy them...you also don't have to buy designer clothing, fancy cars, extravagant dinners, etc. I get that it sucks when people get priced out, but I'll never understand why complaining about it is the right thing to do. The fact is that millions of people still WILL pay these rates, and it's not a company's job to accomodate everyone.

This is the same attitude that got Sony in trouble with the PS3. "We expect our fans to get a second job", etc. We're fans of theme parks, and raising prices out of sync of an increased quality or quantity of product is unacceptable.

I respect what you're saying, and I get it, but it's not unacceptable at all. It's the basic laws of economics. It's supply and demand curve. Given Disney's insane crowds, their current price point clearly wasn't at equilibrium. So Econ 101 dictates that they up the price.

I respect what you're saying, and I get it, but it's not unacceptable at all. It's the basic laws of economics. It's supply and demand curve. Given Disney's insane crowds, their current price point clearly wasn't at equilibrium. So Econ 101 dictates that they up the price.

They already did. This year. The only parks that are crazy, consistently crowded are Magic Kingdom and Epcot during its events. I'm at the park right now and have some thoughts but I'll post later. The price hike is a double edged sword.

Money Saving Tip if you are a AAA Member: I checked the AAA site where you can buy the discounted Disney annual passes. The site is still selling the old type annual pass vouchers and annual pass renewal vouchers at the old discounted rates. I confirmed on a call to them that if you have a seasonal pass exchange certificate (what you're buying from AAA), they would still issue you a seasonal pass even though its no longer being offered and you wouldn't get the parking like you do with the Silver pass. I'm not sure how far in advance you can purchase a renewal exchange certificate. I'm debating on buying my renewal certificate on AAA now so I can still have a normal annual pass with no blackout dates for another full year. Online it only says you must redeem by 30 days past your pass expiration date. It doesn't say anything about buying these renewals in advance. This would be great if I could buy and stockpile 10 years worth of renewals. Don't think I'll do it but I wonder if it would work.