Disney CEO Asks Employees to Chip in to Pay Copyright Lobbyists | Inside Universal Forums

Disney CEO Asks Employees to Chip in to Pay Copyright Lobbyists

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Leave me get this right. So Iger makes $45 million a year plus stock options, and he's asking Disney employees, many who only make a $10 an hour and probably need food stamps to help feed their family, and are now suffering work hour cutbacks due in large part to bad decisions on Iger's part, to contribute some of their meager wages so he can, in the long run bottom line, as the stock price advances with a positive ruling,make more money. The world is surely turning upside down. :ack:

^ Tag team:

The Disney company at its core is another scum big business. But Walt was an SOB too, so what should we expect. Until I moved to Orlando, I would have never had an idea how poorly they treat their employees or how low their wages are. On the other hand, I also would have never known how well Universal treats their employees, and now that has rocketed to the moon under Comcast. There's almost loony good will there today.

I know there are other issues with Comcast, but treatment of employees at NBC Universal and Universal Parks is top notch.

^ Tag team:

The Disney company at its core is another scum big business. But Walt was an SOB too, so what should we expect. Until I moved to Orlando, I would have never had an idea how poorly they treat their employees or how low their wages are. On the other hand, I also would have never known how well Universal treats their employees, and now that has rocketed to the moon under Comcast. There's almost loony good will there today.

I know there are other issues with Comcast, but treatment of employees at NBC Universal and Universal Parks is top notch.
Can't agree with this more. People constantly start at Disney, get demoralized, go to Universal and then get rejuvenated.

The jobs are hardly much different, but it's all about how the company treats the employees, the perks they get and being made to feel WANTED.

I couldn't read the whole article but this is absolutely disgusting, sorry entering rant mode.

The Micky Mouse Law is one of the most damaging laws that has been put on the books and the fact that it came from these hypocrites is insane. To then say hey amazing employees who put up with torture from one side or another just to hopefully make a kid's day special, "we totally need to do this for 'reasons' but don't really want to pay for it so do you wanna go halfsies on it?" Their entire film business for at least the last 20 years has pretty much relied entirely on the thing that this law specifically prevents.

If their entire business relies on one character to make work maybe they should either
A) Actually use that one character for something important
B) Try creating some new ones

I love the people working the front lines at Disney World who make the place absolutely wonderful but these people running the show are the terrible.

This doesn't sit well with me at all. I work for a large company in the travel industry as well and the only time we're ever asked or we ask our employees to open hearts/wallets is for charity. And that's it.

Reactions: Mad Dog
Leave me get this right. So Iger makes $45 million a year plus stock options, and he's asking Disney employees, many who only make a $10 an hour and probably need food stamps to help feed their family, and are now suffering work hour cutbacks due in large part to bad decisions on Iger's part, to contribute some of their meager wages so he can, in the long run bottom line, as the stock price advances with a positive ruling,make more money. The world is surely turning upside down. :ack:

Darden did the same thing once and they have minimum wage employees. This doesn't shock me. Companies do this all the time. And as much as we would like to think theme parks are for the fans, they are not. It is a business in the long run and they will all do anything to make a buck.

Now I will say I am not for what Disney did lobbying and getting copyright rules changed. That was a scum move and our government should be ashamed of themselves for allowing this to happen.

This is really sickening to read. One of the biggest issues is that people fall in love with the idea of being a CM and are prepared to make a few sacrifices to work their 'dream' job. Disney know this and fully exploit it.

Here's a nice little video that helps explain a little more about what the Mickey Mouse Laws actually do. Notice included in this is scientific papers, meaning that any scientific ideas could actually be detrimental to a company could be purchased by said company and then left to rot for far longer making these advancements amount to nothing. Think stuff that would be possibly harmful to the oil, auto, or medical industries etc.

Here's a nice little video that helps explain a little more about what the Mickey Mouse Laws actually do. Notice included in this is scientific papers, meaning that any scientific ideas could actually be detrimental to a company could be purchased by said company and then left to rot for far longer making these advancements amount to nothing. Think stuff that would be possibly harmful to the oil, auto, or medical industries etc.

Yes, this show is how I found out about this and also what made me realize how bad this was and really needs to change. Stupid corrupt politicians.

Reactions: bob albert
Do we have a problem here?
mr-mouse.png

Yes, this show is how I found out about this and also what made me realize how bad this was and really needs to change. Stupid corrupt politicians.
I like this show quite a bit, and I thought they did a pretty good job of breaking down the nuances of how far it reaches in a pretty entertaining and simplified way. I've been following it for quite awhile, I want to say since the second time Disney got copyright extended.

Reactions: Mad Dog