Disney Foot Tracking Patent | Inside Universal Forums

Disney Foot Tracking Patent

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't get it. Anyone wearing a magic band has a unique identifier with long range tracking capability. If they hang sensors around the park they already know where each person is and who that person is with their location in the park at any given time.

I think this is just an effort to cover all their bases but my first thought was that they should use an odor sample if that is what this does, we are all unique in that regard, just ask any dog you know.

But seeing as we already have electronic noses maybe they wanted a patent all their own.

I don't get it. Anyone wearing a magic band has a unique identifier with long range tracking capability. If they hang sensors around the park they already know where each person is and who that person is with their location in the park at any given time.

I think this is just an effort to cover all their bases but my first thought was that they should use an odor sample if that is what this does, we are all unique in that regard, just ask any dog you know.

But seeing as we already have electronic noses maybe they wanted a patent all their own.
Plenty of guests do not use magic bands. Why get one if you are there on a one day pass?

I remember years ago looking at Google data about me. It had a pie chart accurately calculating how many hours I had been out of my home. I do not care to be tracked this closely by any company.

The thing is even if you don't have a Magic Band, all the tickets have the same RFID chips in them so they can all be tracked.

The thing is even if you don't have a Magic Band, all the tickets have the same RFID chips in them so they can all be tracked.

If you swipe them the cards are identifiers but the magic bands have both the passive like the cards and long range which requires them to have a battery in them.

considering Disney isn't even using the magic bands to track movement in the parks I doubt this is coming any time soon. companies do patents all the time that they don't use.

Reactions: JoeCamel
considering Disney isn't even using the magic bands to track movement in the parks I doubt this is coming any time soon. companies do patents all the time that they don't use.
I agree. But the very fact that they did the research and filed this patent means they are at least thinking about it.