Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

Disney posted an article on Facebook about Disneyland's newly reopened Rivers of America attractions and you're hard pressed to find a single comment relating to the article. Disney FB moms are furious and deeply offended by Disney's new streaming service announcement. I imagine DisTwitter is the same?

Personally, I'm surprised this didn't happened years ago. I'm really not too upset by Disney leaving Netflix as their selections were pretty slim anyway. I never banked on them putting up any good, non-sequel movies, so I could be pleasantly surprised when they did.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 7.03.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-09 at 7.03.27 PM.png
    160.8 KB · Views: 15
I actually thought this happened a while ago.

The Disney/Netflix deal was always super weird. They signed a deal in 2012 to start streaming Disney movies in 2016. That's weird. I can't think of another streaming deal that had that long of a lead time.

Since that deal was signed, Disney became the biggest studio in Hollywood by far. This was absolutely inevitable. I always knew the deal would never get renewed.

You know what will destroy steaming? Fragmentation. Netflix is successful because of the smorgasbord it offers. If everyone has their own streaming it just becomes cable again.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Its like the whole cable cutting thing is backfiring now. There are so many "subscription" services that to have everything is starting to cost more than cable.

I got a survey a while back in The Netherlands. They asked if I would like it, how much it should cost and if Marvel and Star Wars should be included. I think the whole thing is a bad idea. Netflix in Europe will continue to offer Disney movies. I guess the response was negative and that is a good thing.

Not completely on topic but has anyone seen Ducktails and do you also hate it as much as I do? Why does the Disney company goes for the artsy fartsy graphical style they used for the new mickey shorts?!
I only suffered 10 minutes through the first episode but I didn't like anything.

They're in negotiations for Netflix to potentially keep them. It's not for sure yet though.

It's probably not a bad move to have some titles on Netflix. Keep the first few MCU titles on Netflix, get the customer interested in it and then if they want to continue, the easiest way to keep watching is get Disney Life.

It's probably not a bad move to have some titles on Netflix. Keep the first few MCU titles on Netflix, get the customer interested in it and then if they want to continue, the easiest way to keep watching is get Disney Life.
The first few MCU movies aren't even there now lol. Only the newest.

Everyone keeps talking about the Marvel films, but are ignoring the most obvious and important part to Netflix - The Defenders. Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and the currently in production The Punisher. The whole point of Netflix getting these characters was because it's the only venue to do more mature, darker Marvel characters like these. They're not Disney material at all and that's the point. They're also Netflix exclusive (although I think season one of Daredevil is on blu-ray and iTunes). Personally, Daredevil is one of the biggest reasons I subscribe to Netflix.

Disney seems to be gunning to get their ESPN streaming service off the ground first. Their streaming plans may change depending on how ESPN does.

If ESPN doesn't do well, I think the movie streaming service will be less like Netflix and more like HBO Go. A premium channel on your cable service (so big premiums for Disney!) with an app that has the entire catalog.

Pretty smart from their point of view.

It will be interesting when the subscription starts. If it starts once your vacation is over, you'll have kids watching it non stop for a year and where else are they going to want to go on holiday?

you are given a code to use by a certain date. We booked May this year, and had till December to use it :)

Not completely on topic but has anyone seen Ducktails and do you also hate it as much as I do? Why does the Disney company goes for the artsy fartsy graphical style they used for the new mickey shorts?!
I only suffered 10 minutes through the first episode but I didn't like anything.
I agree with you on this. I can't stand the art, it is so anti Disney art. Mickey looks like he is on something and for goodness sake can someone get him a belt for his pants?