Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Movie Releases in 2019

Feb 26, 2014
Glasgow
The list of movies they have coming for 2019 is ridiculous:

Lion King
Aladdin
Dumbo
Frozen 2
Toy Story 4
Avengers
Captain Marvel
Spider-Man: Far From Home (Although I think this is technically Sony?)
Star Wars: Episode IX

They're going to make an insane amount of money.

Lion King
Aladdin
Dumbo
Frozen 2
Toy Story 4
Avengers
Captain Marvel

Ehh some will underperform based, Dumbo, Aladdin, And Star Wars won't meet Disney internal figures. (China won't like Aladdin because Aladdin is a Chinese story and Disney is bastardizing it for no good reason, Dumbo mainly because it isn't a international film, and Star Wars because negative sentiments from previous films and Asia hates Star Wars).

Frozen 2 may have burned out its welcome with that short that aired before Coco really aggravating people. Toy Story 4 also went through a entire re-write so that also may cause some issues as well.

Avengers and Lion King are going to be the real money makers.

Ehh some will underperform based, Dumbo, Aladdin, And Star Wars won't meet Disney internal figures. (China won't like Aladdin because Aladdin is a Chinese story and Disney is bastardizing it for no good reason, Dumbo mainly because it isn't a international film, and Star Wars because negative sentiments from previous films and Asia hates Star Wars).

Frozen 2 may have burned out its welcome with that short that aired before Coco really aggravating people. Toy Story 4 also went through a entire re-write so that also may cause some issues as well.

Avengers and Lion King are going to be the real money makers.

I don't doubt it but even under performing, they're still going to make crazy money and as a collective, I think they're going to have the biggest year for a single studio of all time and possibly by a large margin. From what I can see, the biggest year for a single studio was $3 billion for Disney in 2016. Avengers and Lion King are pretty much guaranteed going to make over a billion each.

Lion King
Aladdin
Dumbo
Frozen 2
Toy Story 4
Avengers
Captain Marvel

And that's not even counting all of the exclusive original content coming via Disney+. 2019, on entertainment, is insane.

I would agree with Quinn though on Dumbo, Aladdin, and maybe even TS4 to some extent. The pure wildcard of 2019, is Artemis Fowl though.

But I do think Captain Marvel, Frozen 2, Avengers 4 and The Lion King is going to be something else, especially Avengers and Lion King.

There’s also an upper-bound on the number of movies that people will see in a given year. I could the marketplace being flooded and people self-selecting certain movies.

If all of those movies are hits, I find it hard to believe that any other studio will be able to have blockbuster movies in 2019. There just isn’t enough movie time to go around.

There’s also an upper-bound on the number of movies that people will see in a given year. I could the marketplace being flooded and people self-selecting certain movies.

If all of those movies are hits, I find it hard to believe that any other studio will be able to have blockbuster movies in 2019. There just isn’t enough movie time to go around.

Disney also have the luxury of promoting their own movies at the start of their own.

I’m not worried about Toy Story 4 being a flop, it’s Pixar’s crown jewel and if they’re prepared to nearly start again from scratch, then it can only be a good thing.

Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4 will have so much goodwill and hype from their previous movies that they won't flop even if they are stinkers thanks to families showing up out of curiosity. They probably won't gross a billion dollars for each, but they should net decent cash.

Dumbo will likely do around what Christopher Robin did.

Aladdin should do fine. Not Lion King figures, but $500 million WW.

And I think there might be a Lady and the Tramp remake coming to Disney+ as well.

Last edited:
Frozen 2 and Toy Story 4 will have so much goodwill and hype from their previous movies that they won't flop even if they are stinkers thanks to the . They probably won't gross a billion dollars for each, but they should net decent cash.

Dumbo will likely do around what Christopher Robin did.

Aladdin should do fine. Not Lion King figures, but $500 million WW.

And I think there might be a Lady and the Tramp remake coming to Disney+ as well.
Disney can't afford Dumbo to do Christopher Robin numbers. Christopher Robin had a lower budget so the lower returns were actually profit. For Dumbo, numbers like that would result in large losses.

Also, don't forget Disney will also have FOX's slate on it's schedule next year as the deal is to be completed by the end of this year. Alita: Battle Angel, Kingsman 3 and Dark Phoenix (should it stick to it's release date) are their big releases next year. New Mutants is also still on the schedule, but many don't expect that to be released.

Last edited:
Disney can't afford Dumbo to do Christopher Robin numbers. Christopher Robin had a lower budget so the lower returns were actually profit. For Dumbo, numbers like that would result in large losses.

Also, don't forget Disney will also have FOX's slate on it's schedule next year as the deal is to be completed by the end of this year. Alita: Battle Angel, Kingsman 3 and Dark Phoenix (should it stick to it's release date) are their big releases next year. New Mutants is also still on the schedule, but many don't expect that to be released.
Fox’s slate will have been figured out way before the Disney acquisition happens. I don’t think Disney will care at all about Fox’s schedule for the next couple years.

And they just moved Jungle Cruise off the schedule for 2019 so that was going to be yet another one. Regardless, Disney is going to have me in the theater a lot next year.

I wonder if Disney will ever hit a saturation in pop culture and an eventual contraction in interest. I know "Disney" is a generic concept but things are feeling more and more homogenized over the years; Disney Animation feels more Pixar and Pixar feels more Disney Animation than ever before.

I wonder if Disney will ever hit a saturation in pop culture and an eventual contraction in interest. I know "Disney" is a generic concept but things are feeling more and more homogenized over the years; Disney Animation feels more Pixar and Pixar feels more Disney Animation than ever before.

I feel like their portfolio is too broad now with their recent acquisitions. And they keep riding that nostalgia train hard which seems to be working for them as usual.