Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney Springs Discussion

Feb 20, 2010
England
From DisneyParks Blog:

How about that? New dining, shopping and entertainment experiences are in the works for Downtown Disney and today we’re sharing a first look at what to expect in the future for the 120-acre complex. Look closely and you’ll see that Pleasure Island will evolve into a vibrant waterfront district called “Hyperion Wharf.”

The district will come to life with a nostalgic yet modern take on an early 20th century port city and amusement pier. By day, stylish boutiques and innovative restaurants will draw you in and by night, thousands of lights will transform the area into an electric wonderland.
Taking its name from Hyperion, the Greek god of light, as well as the street on which Walt Disney built his first major animation studio, the wharf district will also feature a relaxing lakeside park and enhanced pedestrian walkways. And its diverse eateries will expand dining availability at Downtown Disney by more than 25 percent.

Along with the new wharf district, other projects are underway at Downtown Disney, including:
An extensive renovation of Lego Imagination Center, which will increase its overall footprint by nearly 3,500 square-feet and add new Lego exterior models featuring scenes from classic Disney movies.
Enhancements at AMC Theatres that will take the movie-going experience at Downtown Disney to the next level with new digital technology, a Concession Stand of the Future and Florida’s first Fork & Screen Theater; and…
Numerous new or renovated retail shops and merchandise vignettes, as well as additional atmosphere entertainment, throughout Downtown Disney.
Construction on the district begins immediately and it’s scheduled to be completed in 2013.

Concept pictures can be found here:
http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/bl...P=SOC-DPFY11Q1TwitterDisneyParks18-11-10@0001

Definitely sounds good, I'm glad they're finally giving DTD some love and attention, not too sure on the name though.

Last edited:
hwd001223LARGE.jpg

hwd002556LARGE.jpg

hwd003445LARGE.jpg

Wow talk about quickening the pace of the death of such a creative and cool area.

It sucks that PI is gone, but let's face it... it's a ghost town now. This certainly looks like it will bring SOME life back to the area.

Its only a ghost town because WDW management made it so. Raglan Road is a great bar/pub/restaurant. I ate at Paradiso a couple of weeks ago and let me tell you it was FANTASTIC! BUUUUUT the nightclubs here especially Mannequins were innovative and different and gave Disney a somewhat of adult feel and a place for adults to get away for the night. Now if you want a club you have to go to City Walk, which isn't so bad either because they have great places too.

I ate at Paradiso a couple of weeks ago and let me tell you it was FANTASTIC!

Really? I thought it was terribly bland.

BUUUUUT the nightclubs here especially Mannequins were innovative and different and gave Disney a somewhat of adult feel and a place for adults to get away for the night. Now if you want a club you have to go to City Walk, which isn't so bad either because they have great places too.

The closure of the Adventurers Club will always be one of WDW's biggest mistakes. That place was quintessential Disney.

Really? I thought it was terribly bland.

The closure of the Adventurers Club will always be one of WDW's biggest mistakes. That place was quintessential Disney.

We ate the chips and salsa, the fried mac and cheese (which were freaking awesome) and we ordered the burrito on the menu which was chicken and veggies inside with rice and beans on the side. I noticed that our burrito plate had A LOT more food than other plates especially the churrasco dish. So it might be dependant on what you ordered, but to us it was great.

It's nice to see them at least doing something with the area. It looks like it has the potential to be a pretty nice place to walk around and enjoy. :shrug:

With their dropping attendance and lack in earnings they should of focused on revamping the idea of Pleasure Island with unique clubs and attractions, not destroying it and adding more of what the rest of Downtown Disney has.

They just turned it all into a hipster mall.

It's nice to see them at least doing something with the area. It looks like it has the potential to be a pretty nice place to walk around and enjoy. :shrug:

And creating jobs with it. 1,500 to be exact, so I'm glad there doing something with it as well.

I'm glad they're doing something, but it just doesn't have the same magic that Pleasure Island did, what with its back story and all. This just sounds like a Disney strip mall.
I am curious what "Concession Stand of the Future" is though.

May you explain what the back story was??
It was featured on Wesh 2 News. I think they watch this site, with all the interviews and such.

Awkward name aside, this sounds pretty awesome in my opinion. Glad to see them going for an entire new concept instead of just randomly opening a new shop or restaurant here or there.

Personally, I'm particularly excited to see this new AMC theater. The current theater has gotten pretty run down over the last few years (and smells really odd :lol:).

Best part: Fork & Screen Theater. Wurd.