Disney+ | Page 12 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I feel so sick to my stomach.
I hadn't watched the clip until now. I actually enjoyed it until about the last 5 seconds or so. Shoving Dumbo in there and then Maggie taking off like Tinkerbell was just too much.

It sure is a way to get the point across that they are now owned by Disney though. Just putting them on Disney+ is actually a big statement towards making sure people realize they own them since only Disney owned media will be on the service.

I hadn't watched the clip until now. I actually enjoyed it until about the last 5 seconds or so. Shoving Dumbo in there and then Maggie taking off like Tinkerbell was just too much.

It sure is a way to get the point across that they are now owned by Disney though. Just putting them on Disney+ is actually a big statement towards making sure people realize they own them since only Disney owned media will be on the service.

Maybe The Simpson’s won’t end anytime soon with Disney in charge of them.

Maybe The Simpson’s won’t end anytime soon with Disney in charge of them.
Well Simpsons still has a few more years regardless, I believe. I'm sort of more interested in the Bob's Burgers of it all, though. There's supposed to be a movie happening, hopefully that doesn't change with Disney in charge.

So many announcements. So many. I feel like I have to bullet things because they announced so much.

• UI doesn’t look half bad but also looks like a exact clone of the old Apple TV UI
  • Disney wants 60-80M subscribers by 2024. (That would be 420M-560M a month, 5.4B-6.7B a year). Netflix is at 140M subs today. That actually doesn’t seem that ambitious.
  • Phineas and Ferb is coming back!!
  • I don’t fully understand how they decide which shows go on Hulu and which on Disney+
  • The Marvel shows sound like limited series. I don’t see them getting season 2s.
I want to bring up the Netflix comparison again. Disney wants to be making 5-6B a year by 2024. Netflix is currently making 15B a year.

This venture only works if Disney assumes that Disney+ will only cannibalize their home video sales and their streaming/TV rights sales. Even then, there’s a decent chance that come 2024, Disney realizes that they’re making less money post-steaming than pre-streaming.

If Disney+ starts to cannibalize their theater sales (why should I go to the movies when Disney+ will for sure have it in a couple months?), this could be a really bad financial move for them.

So many announcements. So many. I feel like I have to bullet things because they announced so much.

• UI doesn’t look half bad but also looks like a exact clone of the old Apple TV UI
  • Disney wants 60-80M subscribers by 2024. (That would be 420M-560M a month, 5.4B-6.7B a year). Netflix is at 140M subs today. That actually doesn’t seem that ambitious.
  • Phineas and Ferb is coming back!!
  • I don’t fully understand how they decide which shows go on Hulu and which on Disney+
  • The Marvel shows sound like limited series. I don’t see them getting season 2s.
I want to bring up the Netflix comparison again. Disney wants to be making 5-6B a year by 2024. Netflix is currently making 15B a year.

This venture only works if Disney assumes that Disney+ will only cannibalize their home video sales and their streaming/TV rights sales. Even then, there’s a decent chance that come 2024, Disney realizes that they’re making less money post-steaming than pre-streaming.

If Disney+ starts to cannibalize their theater sales (why should I go to the movies when Disney+ will for sure have it in a couple months?), this could be a really bad financial move for them.

I don’t think it will effect the box office much. They still wouldn’t get the films until after the standard home video release time period ends.

It certainly won't cannibalize blockbusters, but movies like, say, live-action Dumbo? That under-performed at the box office as-is? Yeah, you can probably expect less films like that on their slate. They probably will want their film slate to be almost all blockbusters/must-see-movies while some of the lesser movies start to get made as Disney+ originals.

Reactions: natespf
I don’t fully understand how they decide which shows go on Hulu and which on Disney+
Seems to me that PG-13 and under go on Disney+. PG-13 and above go on Hulu.

PG-13 seems to be the grey area where Disney has to decide which platform the movie/show is best suited for. Now that may seem confusing given that The Simpsons may seem out of place on Disney+, but obviously they want it on D+ to get subscribers from that subset of fans and they feel that the IP has enough pull the bring in a different demographic.

The packages they'll be able to do for Hulu Live TV & Disney+ will be really hard to beat. Honestly, I think Comcast is gonna HAVE to sell their stake in Hulu. Right now, all they are doing is helping Disney by being owners because they are contractually obligated to provide their channels by being owners. If Comcast sells, they can get out and stop helping Disney for little to no gain.

Disagree...Hulu is giving Comcast way more information on how Disney plans to operate as 3 NBCU members are on the board of Hulu and all the data collection they can obtain. Also the way Hulu is set up even if Disney as a majority owner and more seats they can't do much to the minority owners. So Comcast can make it rough for them and neuter some effects.

Disagree...Hulu is giving Comcast way more information on how Disney plans to operate as 3 NBCU members are on the board of Hulu and all the data collection they can obtain. Also the way Hulu is set up even if Disney as a majority owner and more seats they can't do much to the minority owners. So Comcast can make it rough for them and neuter some effects.
Maybe, we'll see. I just think if Hulu wasn't able to offer the Comcast or AT&T owned channels, yeah, Disney might be a theoretical 100% owner, but what does that do to Hulu Live TV? That has to hurt it's stock no? If both AT&T and Comcast left, that's a ton of channels they'd be losing and then audiences have to question, what exactly are they paying for at that point. I think Hulu is in a better position right now being at 60% majority Disney ownership than it would be at 100% ownership by someone.

Reactions: natespf
Maybe, we'll see. I just think if Hulu wasn't able to offer the Comcast or AT&T owned channels, yeah, Disney might be a theoretical 100% owner, but what does that do to Hulu Live TV? That has to hurt it's stock no? If both AT&T and Comcast left, that's a ton of channels they'd be losing and then audiences have to question, what exactly are they paying for at that point. I think Hulu is in a better position right now being at 60% majority Disney ownership than it would be at 100% ownership by someone.

Its a symbiotic relationship. They both require each other right now. Comcast won't sell Hulu stock until Disney neuters Netflix a bit. Also Comcast has a vested interest as Hulu gets all Dreamworks properties starting next year including a lot of originals. As well as it's thanks to Universal, Hulu finally got there first subscriber boosting hit even more so than Handmaid's Tale.
‘The Act’ Crime Anthology Sets New Subscribers To Series Record For Hulu – Deadline

Reactions: Nick
It’s definitely a symbiotic relationship.

On another note, I feel like the UI seems to be a bit dim. I was watching the demo they did and when the colors get darker, it Gets very dim. As a matter of fact, it seems as though there isn’t much color at all.

Depending on what it is and how many screens it’ll allow. I’m curious what the tiers are (if any).

I’m so used to the word “Disney” being an interchangeable word for “expensive” that $7 seems way too cheap. If they start at $7 , my guess is it won’t stay there for long. If HBO and Netflix can charge $15, so will Disney.

I think I'll be using the US version over the UK version.

It's also a little odd that Disney are making a service that seems cheap?

$7 could be an intro rate to get people to subscribe. I think the gamble is that they get people hooked on the service and increase the cost on an annual basis. At $7 even i would probably jump in, while I probably would have been more reluctant if it opened up at $14.99.

I think they are expecting people to subscribe a year for $69.00 and forget their renewal date. (Subscribing for a year locks you into a certain price and prevents you from getting hit from random hikes)