Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

I have a feeling there will be a higher priced package option that will include Hulu w/o ads.
I believe they said there wouldn't. I know that the bundle we're doing right now, with Hulu and Spotify, does not give us that option.

I believe they said there wouldn't. I know that the bundle we're doing right now, with Hulu and Spotify, does not give us that option.
Maybe for now, but people would pay the extra money for no ads. The big difference between this bundle and Hulu + Spotify is that Disney owns all of these services whereas they don’t own Spotify.

remember this is starting price. I wouldn't expect it to last longer than 2 years before they do significant price increases.
Well obviously.

It makes complete sense why Disney+ is starting out at a low introductory price given the lackluster Day 1 (and likely full first year) lineup as they regain content from Netflix and also Amazon.

Had they started with 99% of their catalog, they would’ve had less justification for raising the price, especially if original content doesn’t hit like they want it to.

Well obviously.

It makes complete sense why Disney+ is starting out at a low introductory price given the lackluster Day 1 (and likely full first year) lineup as they regain content from Netflix and also Amazon.

Had they started with 99% of their catalog, they would’ve had less justification for raising the price, especially if original content doesn’t hit like they want it to.
They aren’t getting a lot of content (especially on the Fox side) for a long time.

Matthew Ball (great follow if you’re interested in the business side of streaming) pointed out that Disney will have the streaming rights to Avatar 5 before Avatar 2.

They aren’t getting a lot of content (especially on the Fox side) for a long time.

Matthew Ball (great follow if you’re interested in the business side of streaming) pointed out that Disney will have the streaming rights to Avatar 5 before Avatar 2.
That's gotta sting if you're Disney, especially since Avatar is a franchise I think they have a lot of faith will really stay big beyond just the first movie. I'd be surprised if an Avatar Disney+ show doesn't happen at some point, tbh.

Who has the rights to Avatar and Avatar 2 for streaming?

FXNow has Avatar for streaming.

I'd suspect, the film will eventually hit sooner than later on Disney+, but it won't be on the immediate.
Well, Disney owns FX so that really shouldn't be an issue. And I agree, probably not immediate, but when the Disney hype machine starts up for Avatar 2 in 2021, I think we'll see Avatar put on Disney+ for wider exposure in the lead-up to the movie. Although I think they're probably also likely to re-release the movie in theaters around that time (in which the film would pass Endgame for #1 worldwide once again in all likelihood).

Well, Disney owns FX so that really shouldn't be an issue. And I agree, probably not immediate, but when the Disney hype machine starts up for Avatar 2 in 2021, I think we'll see Avatar put on Disney+ for wider exposure in the lead-up to the movie. Although I think they're probably also likely to re-release the movie in theaters around that time (in which the film would pass Endgame for #1 worldwide once again in all likelihood).

I could easily see a re-release of the first film, but in a form of..limited approach with the Glasses-less 3D that's been rumored to be a big thing.

Then after the limited release, Disney+ releases the first film and perhaps a short film ala' the Alien Covenant Short to the streaming platform as exclusives.

That's gotta sting if you're Disney, especially since Avatar is a franchise I think they have a lot of faith will really stay big beyond just the first movie. I'd be surprised if an Avatar Disney+ show doesn't happen at some point, tbh.

Who has the rights to Avatar and Avatar 2 for streaming?
I want to say HBO does?

To the best of my understanding, TV/streaming rights go through a hierarchy, depending on how old/famous the movie is. As the movie gets older, it drops down the list.

* Theaters
* DVD / PPV streaming (iTunes, Google Play, Amazon)
* “Premium channel” (Netflix, HBO, etc)
* Cable (FX, AMC, etc)

Take the Harry Potter movies. They’re now all viewable on ABC Family (or whatever it’s called now) but they were on HBO for a couple years after release.

As for Disney having faith in Avatar...it’s Fox’s biggest future franchise. Disney just scrapped the entire Fox lineup. Compared to the rest, it might’ve been the only thing worth saving.

I want to say HBO does?

To the best of my understanding, TV/streaming rights go through a hierarchy, depending on how old/famous the movie is. As the movie gets older, it drops down the list.

* Theaters
* Cable (FX, AMC, etc)

Take the Harry Potter movies. They’re now all viewable on ABC Family (or whatever it’s called now) but they were on HBO for a couple years after release.

As per mentioning, then that's a means of through FX and FXNow, as they have streaming and broadcasting for the film.

I want to say HBO does?

* Theaters
* Cable (FX, AMC, etc)

The Potter movies were viewable on HBO last year while also available on freeform, before moving to SyFy as Universal was willing to pay a very high price for their extreme value. Potter is certainly not a good example.