1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Disney+ (Streaming Service)

Discussion in 'Games, Movies & Sports' started by Coasted, Aug 9, 2017.

1. Frankyg123

Frankyg123 Rookie

So seeing as Disney has been pretty candid so far with the Imagineering documentary. I hope they come around and releases The Sweatbox on Disney+ at some point.

2. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

Random thought, but I have to wonder if Indiana Jones will ever come to Disney+. Paramount owns the distribution rights so this is a similar situation as the Sony-made MCU Spider-Man movies not being on the service.

Of course I know Indy is currently on both Amazon and Netflix, but once those deals are up I have to think Disney will be interested.

It’s not a Disney-made documentary.

RevFreako likes this.
  3. Frankyg123

Frankyg123 Rookie

They didn’t make it but I believe they own the distribution rights to the documentary. Not 100% sure. Good point on Indy. I would imagine they could reach a deal with paramount if they wanted to.

Nick likes this.
  4. Nick

Paramount is sure to be cautious though, they've been burned by Disney before when it comes to Distribution. Shortly after Disney bought Marvel, they also swooped in and bought the distribution rights to Iron Man, Iron Man 2 and Captain America (all of which were released by Paramount). Disney didn't pay all that much in the grand scheme for those rights and what Disney DID pay pales in comparison to what they're worth today.

Frankyg123 and RevFreako like this.
  5. RevFreako

RevFreako Premium Member

Fun trivia: Disney paid zero dollars to t
    I also wonder if Paramount has any bad blood with Disney over Indy, as to my understanding, the Indy IP was literally a throw-in with the Lucasfilm sale, meaning it was not even considered w/r/t the Lucasfilm valuation.

6. Frankyg123

Frankyg123 Rookie

Oh absolutely. It’s still insane to think Disney only paid paramount $115 Million for the distribution rights to Iron Man 3 and The Avengers. The only way I see Disney pouring money into the Indy distribution rights is the next movie does well. Otherwise what’s the point. I’m sure Paramount is gonna want something big in return through.

7. Nick

I mean, Paramount never owned the IP so if they wanna have beef with someone, it should be with George Lucas for giving away the IP at such an undervalued price.

Yeah, totally forgot to mention IM3 and Avengers distribution rights as well. Paramount has to be kicking themselves for ever making that deal. Just between those two films, Paramount gave up $2.7B in box office revenue for $115M. This is one of those examples of what a truly great deal-making CEO Iger has been. He has his flaws, but this has never been one of them.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2019 at 11:29 PM
    Frankyg123 likes this.
  8. Frankyg123

Frankyg123 Rookie

Paramount must still be keeping themselves for that mishap which is the only reason why they would probably play hard ball with Disney for the distribution rights. The thing about Indy is the last film wasn’t that good and while a new film has been announced it’s still in development hell. Disney doesn’t really have any incentives to try and get those rights at the moment. This could all change with a new film however.

9. Paulio

Paulio Member

My understanding is that Paramount financed the four Indiana Jones movies and a 1992-93 TV show, unlike Fox's Star Wars sequels. That's why they want to continue retaining the distribution rights to the four films and a TV show and only agreed on ceding the future film rights to any Indiana Jones film.

10. Nick

So.... I watched One Day at Disney. Go in with low expectations and you’ll be fine. It’s very similar to a travel channel special as far as being a puff piece. Sterling K. Brown’s narration seems off, lots of sappy music, etc. I can’t say I recommend this documentary because of how it’s presented, but at the same time there was enough interesting things sprinkled here and there that it’s a good time waster at the very least.

My biggest thing I noticed was how much Iger is in this or is brought up. This isn’t a Disney documentary as much as an Iger one imo - he’s in this A LOT telling stories that make him seem “relatable” and basically his entire life story and history with the company. It also tries to push things like how diverse Disney is and how great it is to work there blah blah. Lots of eye roll moments.

The difference between this and The Imagineering Story though is night and day and that couldn’t be clearer.
    —————————-
    For the worthwhile moments...
    • There’s some Galaxy’s Edge footage (most is B-roll, but some of what is talked about is interesting)
    • A fun test Genie animation set to one of Robin Williams’ comedy routines
    • train geeks may like a DL railroad segment
    • footage of Iger as an anchorman :lol:
    • WDI segment showcasing the Roaming droid that tested in Tomorrowland. They say they are still trying to make him more reliable.
    • Veterinary stuff at Epcot and DAK
    • Marvel Visual Development/Costume segment

SeventyOne, Fallow and belloq87 like this.
  11. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    That's kind of all I need to know! I don't think I'll be spending time on something so fluffy and manufactured.

Nick and Fallow like this.
  12. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

AW HELL YEAH PUT IT IN MY VEINS

SeventyOne, Frankyg123 and MrBlonde like this.
  13. Scott W.

Scott W. Premium Member

It sounds like a recruitment tool.

Nick likes this.
  14. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    Nice that they're putting Ahmed Best in there. I can't stand Jar Jar, but Best got a raw deal. Like with Hayden Christensen's Anakin, the issues with the character stem (primarily) from George Lucas' writing and direction.

RevFreako likes this.
  15. Nick

Much of it is certainly company orientation material.

RevFreako likes this.