Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

My apologies, I thought she was just added on to the project.
It seems they mostly didn’t like the direction the writing was taking the show so if this is what they think they need to do to put out a quality product then I’m fine with it. They weren’t into filming like other Star Wars mishaps do I’m not as worried.

It seems they mostly didn’t like the direction the writing was taking the show so if this is what they think they need to do to put out a quality product then I’m fine with it. They weren’t into filming like other Star Wars mishaps do I’m not as worried.
Ya thats very fair. I read one "leak", not sure at all how verified or true it is, that basically said the series was Obi Wan taking control and care of young Luke/Leia. So basically The Mandalorian but with lightsabers and Obi Wan. Doesn't sound great to me so if true, I'm also thrilled they're re-doing it. Hoping for the best here. Maybe its because I'm more engaged with these things now than I used to be but there seems to just constantly be new writes coming in to these big projects, its honestly wild haha.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier is supposedly coming out in August. I had guessed this earlier in this thread simply based on WandaVision being moved into 2020.

I'm thinking F&WS runs from Early August, The Mandalorian comes out in November again and, since I think there may be some slight horror vibes to the show, i'm gonna take the leap in guessing WandaVision comes out in October, running right up to the premier of Mandalorian Season 2. I'm probably wrong, but that'd be the smart way to do it imo. It would be constant new and engaging content leading up to the holidays.

Falcon and the Winter Soldier is supposedly coming out in August. I had guessed this earlier in this thread simply based on WandaVision being moved into 2020.

I'm thinking F&WS runs from Early August, The Mandalorian comes out in November again and, since I think there may be some slight horror vibes to the show, i'm gonna take the leap in guessing WandaVision comes out in October, running right up to the premier of Mandalorian Season 2. I'm probably wrong, but that'd be the smart way to do it imo. It would be constant new and engaging content leading up to the holidays.

I think you got the right idea. Easy way for Disney to keep subscribers through the holidays.
F&WS - August thru early October
Wandavision - Mid October thru Thanksgiving
Mandalorian - First week of December thru the new year.

I think you got the right idea. Easy way for Disney to keep subscribers through the holidays.
F&WS - August thru early October
Wandavision - Mid October thru Thanksgiving
Mandalorian - First week of December thru the new year.
I’m expecting Disney to push up a Pixar show or something else to end of year as well.

All 3 of those shows go after the same demographic.

I’m expecting Disney to push up a Pixar show or something else to end of year as well.

Very true, maybe the Monsters Inc series? I haven’t followed the development of that project so I’m not sure if it’s on the table or not.

The Monsters at Work show is supposed to start this summer. Nothing else animation related really planned other than shorts from what I see. The thing about the demo for Pixar shows though is that you don't have to have constant new content for kids/family as families likely will be the most loyal subscribers, simply to have as a babysitter with how large the back catalog is.

The crowd Disney needs to keep happy and constantly have new content for is the Star Wars/Marvel crowd. They are much more likely to do a month-by-month sign up or use the free trial to binge and then wait for the next big thing. With how many streaming options are out there, you need to constantly be bringing it to stay relevant now. Netflix isn't going anywhere either with how much money they are pouring into new content.

The Monsters at Work show is supposed to start this summer. Nothing else animation related really planned other than shorts from what I see. The thing about the demo for Pixar shows though is that you don't have to have constant new content for kids/family as families likely will be the most loyal subscribers, simply to have as a babysitter with how large the back catalog is.

The crowd Disney needs to keep happy and constantly have new content for is the Star Wars/Marvel crowd. They are much more likely to do a month-by-month sign up or use the free trial to binge and then wait for the next big thing. With how many streaming options are out there, you need to constantly be bringing it to stay relevant now. Netflix isn't going anywhere either with how much money they are pouring into new content.
Well starting this summer they're sure gonna do that. After S2 of Mando ends in January I'm sure another Marvel series will be right around the corner so I think it'll just take until this summer really.

Well starting this summer they're sure gonna do that. After S2 of Mando ends in January I'm sure another Marvel series will be right around the corner so I think it'll just take until this summer really.
Loki I believe is Early 2021. And if they can ever get it off the ground, Obi-Wan should be around then, too.

Ewan has stated that Obi-Wan's production start date has been pushed to January of 2021.

Unless if they can do it earlier, I see this as a good roadmap.

Monster's at Work (Pixar)
My guess: 7-8 Episodes, begins in Late June and ends in Early to Mid August.

Marvel Studio's Falcon and The Winter Soldier
My guess: August 21st start date, ends on September 25th

Marvel Studio's WandaVision
My Guess: Mid-Late October Start Date with it capped off in Early December

The Mandalorian Season Two
Mid-Late December, acts as the big year release of Star Wars for Lucasfilm and is marketed in a larger format than prior due to the response of the show.

I think Disney's at a unique position, to have Marvel tentpole the service, and then to have their other group's such as Pixar and Lucasfilm (alongside the likes of 20th Century Pictures and 20th Century Fox Television) create exclusive and original programming, to help allow the service to shine. We're going to have a lot of things, and it'll be interesting to see when the return users come in.

I am betting once they start the promo run for Monster's at Work, more people will pay attention to the service's original content (especially if Monster's at Work is a proper MI sequel that is in the 3D Animated format).

Ewan has stated that Obi-Wan's production start date has been pushed to January of 2021.

Unless if they can do it earlier, I see this as a good roadmap.

Monster's at Work (Pixar)
My guess: 7-8 Episodes, begins in Late June and ends in Early to Mid August.

Marvel Studio's Falcon and The Winter Soldier
My guess: August 21st start date, ends on September 25th

Marvel Studio's WandaVision
My Guess: Mid-Late October Start Date with it capped off in Early December

The Mandalorian Season Two
Mid-Late December, acts as the big year release of Star Wars for Lucasfilm and is marketed in a larger format than prior due to the response of the show.

I think Disney's at a unique position, to have Marvel tentpole the service, and then to have their other group's such as Pixar and Lucasfilm (alongside the likes of 20th Century Pictures and 20th Century Fox Television) create exclusive and original programming, to help allow the service to shine. We're going to have a lot of things, and it'll be interesting to see when the return users come in.

I am betting once they start the promo run for Monster's at Work, more people will pay attention to the service's original content (especially if Monster's at Work is a proper MI sequel that is in the 3D Animated format).
Those are all the tentpole things, but we also have things coming to the service like the Love, Simon spinoff show, Ink & Paint, Cinema Relics, a new Phineas & Ferb movie, the Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge game show, and the Timmy Failure movie which comes out next week got a lot of positive buzz at Sundance, many reviews saying it's the best original content from Disney+ yet (yes, including The Mandalorian). This is all coming this year.

There's currently all the Star Wars and Marvel shows, but Willow, Turner & Hooch, True Lies, The Sandlot, and The Mighty Ducks all have series' in development. So Disney is definitely trying to use the Fox content. Especially on the film side where Night at the Museum, Home Alone, Cheaper By The Dozen, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and SpaceCamp are all being rebooted by 20th Century Studios for Disney+.

These first few years the growing pains are definitely going to be visible, but once the service really starts to hit it's stride in 2021-ish with constant new content, it should be in a better place. I do think they rushed getting D+ going, but they're able to get away with it because they're Disney. The theatrical movies being added is still a huge plus on my end as I didn't see either Aladdin or LK in theaters but have now been able to see both just because of my D+ subscription. I never got around to seeing Frozen 2 in theaters either because I heard mixed things (same reason I didn't see the other movies), but i'll gladly watch on streaming.

Those are all the tentpole things, but we also have things coming to the service like the Love, Simon spinoff show, Ink & Paint, Cinema Relics, a new Phineas & Ferb movie, the Star Wars: Jedi Temple Challenge game show, and the Timmy Failure movie which comes out next week got a lot of positive buzz at Sundance, many reviews saying it's the best original content from Disney+ yet (yes, including The Mandalorian). This is all coming this year.

There's currently all the Star Wars and Marvel shows, but Willow, Turner & Hooch, True Lies, The Sandlot, and The Mighty Ducks all have series' in development. So Disney is definitely trying to use the Fox content. Especially on the film side where Night at the Museum, Home Alone, Cheaper By The Dozen, Diary of a Wimpy Kid and SpaceCamp are all being rebooted by 20th Century Studios for Disney+.

These first few years the growing pains are definitely going to be visible, but once the service really starts to hit it's stride in 2021-ish with constant new content, it should be in a better place. I do think they rushed getting D+ going, but they're able to get away with it because they're Disney. The theatrical movies being added is still a huge plus on my end as I didn't see either Aladdin or LK in theaters but have now been able to see both just because of my D+ subscription. I never got around to seeing Frozen 2 in theaters either because I heard mixed things (same reason I didn't see the other movies), but i'll gladly watch on streaming.
Maybe I'm over thinking it, but I wonder if in the next year or two if this type of mentality will affect the box office at all? Cause I'm with you. Didn't need to bother with the crowds for Frozen 2, never saw Aladdin or Dumbo, and don't necessarily plan to see all their remakes in theaters anyways. I pretty much stick to Pixar, Marvel, and Searchlight when it comes to attending a Disney film in theaters. Glad D+ is going to give me a chance to catch everything else. Can't imagine it'll have drastic effects on the BO but hey, you never know.

That's not a bad thing. Most Disney films/shows at this point are really factory product. Auteur directors like Edgar Wright and Lord and Miller are awesome, but there's really no place in what is really work-for-hire for it. It's not a knock on them PR on Disney's product, just a bad fit.
I think manufacturing art as factory products is a very, very bad thing.

I think manufacturing art as factory products is a very, very bad thing.
I'm not saying you have to like it - although an art history class will tell you how many of the masters were just pumping out work for hire - but not recognizing the reality of the situation is unwise.

That's not a bad thing. Most Disney films/shows at this point are really factory product. Auteur directors like Edgar Wright and Lord and Miller are awesome, but there's really no place in what is really work-for-hire for it. It's not a knock on them PR on Disney's product, just a bad fit.
Except Disney has proven that they can work well with auteur directors in the MCU. Taika Waititi, Ryan Coogler, James Gunn and Payton Reed being among them.