Disney+ | Page 54 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
lol 30 bucks

Good Luck with that Disney

Well, for a family, $30 to watch this is actually much cheaper than it would have been taking the family to see it in a theater. Will I pay $30 to watch it? No. But if I had a family of small children, sure why not.

I'm not saying this will 100% work out for them but I can see their logic.

As a guy who would traditionally go see movies on $5 Tuesdays, there's no way I'm paying $30 for every new major movie. Every once in a while, maybe, and for very specific titles that are of interest to me (I'd happily pay $30 for NO TIME TO DIE if the alternative was waiting another year to see it in theaters, for example, even though that might not be a healthy decision for the future viability of the Bond franchise, theatrically).

But for families, that price point feels pretty fair.

Reactions: SpyderDan
Well, for a family, $30 to watch this is actually much cheaper than it would have been taking the family to see it in a theater. Will I pay $30 to watch it? No. But if I had a family of small children, sure why not.

I'm not saying this will 100% work out for them but I can see their logic.
Yeah, for families it's a great deal. The problem is you're leaving out the solo movie goer or even the couples that do a movie night in the dust. I still think, as I said in the PVOD thread, that $30 is probably about right for a AAA title though. These studios really need to figure out a way to give the solo movie goer a cheaper option though.

Also - West Side Story CAN'T go to PVOD as it's a Fox movie and there's contraction obligations to release theatrically.

I don't know, my family's pretty on-board. They were pretty excited for this though, and I've personally been excited for this movie.

However, if this is successful, than Disney will be setting a bad precedent for future PVOD Blockbuster prices. 30 is unsustainable if each of your movies follows this model (imagine if Black Widow, Soul, and West Side Story all released with that price).

Obviously, in real terms, and depending on the size of your family, 30 dollars is a bargain, but it psychologically feels worse to pay a single large price for one movie versus smaller prices for multiple tickets.
Sure enjoy.....just not for me.

Especially since it's a remake not a new film

There could perhaps be ways around this, as THE WOMAN IN THE WINDOW appears to be going to Netflix.
What I guess I more meant and forgot to mention is West Side Story I think maybe could be a PVOD release (the the theatrical thing was a New Mutants thing), but HBO has streaming rights to Fox movies. So can Disney technically put West Side Story on Disney+ at an extra cost? That's interesting and gets a bit sticky, but they actually might at an extra cost. But once it would be done with PVOD, it goes to HBO.

Reactions: belloq87
So two things to point out:

- Disney+ has already reached the low end of where they hoped to be in 2024 as far as subscribers (they said they hoped to be at 60-80M by 2024)

- Disney+ has lucked out big time from theaters being closed. They had a rough slate for most of this year, then all of a sudden Artemis Fowl drops (granted that sucked, but it was content), Hamilton, The One and Only Ivan, and now Mulan at an additional cost. For the first time I think in the entire time the service has existed, there's a solid content flow in July/August with Hamilton, Rogue Trip, Black Is King, and then in August, there's a new movie/documentary every week, starting with Howard, Magic Camp, The One and Only Ivan, Phineas and Ferb: Candace Against the Universe, and now Mulan in September.

The service got incredibly lucky with this content considering the Marvel series' have been pushed back. Speaking of the Marvel series'....

Maybe they'll call it Disney++ ;)
I could see a sub-section called Disney+ Premium. Not even joking.

Reactions: ThemeParks4Life
I want to see end of next quarter though - I think a lot of people did a month just to get Hamilton. Even minus the free trial, I'd totally pay $6.99 just to see that.

I want to see end of next quarter though - I think a lot of people did a month just to get Hamilton. Even minus the free trial, I'd totally pay $6.99 just to see that.
I have to think the 60.5M includes a lot of those who have already left from Hamilton as we're more than a month past Hamilton's release.

Reactions: Legacy
Guest analysts on CNBC, since Disney's earnings call, have been saying the success of Disney plus is what's driving the stock price increases, comparing it to the Netflix investment effect.

There are way too many films -- especially in the Fox library, but also still in Disney's catalog -- that deserve high-quality restorations on physical media.

Hopefully they license out titles to boutique labels. They'd literally have to do nothing other than provide the access to the prints, and then collect a percentage. Even Chapek -- who worked in the home video department -- should be able to see that as easy money (especially as a lot of the Fox titles will never end up on Disney+, so it's not as if they'd be cannibalizing that service, or providing an incentive for consumers to not sign up for it).

And there is precedent for Disney licensing titles to other outfits; they had an arrangement with Anchor Bay in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

Reactions: Scott W.
There are way too many films -- especially in the Fox library, but also still in Disney's catalog -- that deserve high-quality restorations on physical media.

Hopefully they license out titles to boutique labels. They'd literally have to do nothing other than provide the access to the prints, and then collect a percentage. Even Chapek -- who worked in the home video department -- should be able to see that as easy money (especially as a lot of the Fox titles will never end up on Disney+, so it's not as if they'd be cannibalizing that service, or providing an incentive for consumers to not sign up for it).

And there is precedent for Disney licensing titles to other outfits; they had an arrangement with Anchor Bay in the late 1990s/early 2000s.

I don't think it really matters how easy it is. Disney is controlling with all of its assets and just seems to have nothing but contempt for consumers. You will subscribe to Disney+ and you will watch what they want you to watch.