Disney+ | Page 6 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney+

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
Reactions: tankart150
So I just found out that the NatGeo channel is majority owned by 21st Century Fox, which explains why it’s now going to be a part of Disney+.

As Disney + Is getting ready, Pixar has revealed one of their projects for the service; being dubbed as Pixar SparkShorts.

These will be special shorts airing on the service, featuring ideas not shown commonly in Pixar..and they premiered Purl to give a taste of what to expect.

As Disney + Is getting ready, Pixar has revealed one of their projects for the service; being dubbed as Pixar SparkShorts.

These will be special shorts airing on the service, featuring ideas not shown commonly in Pixar..and they premiered Purl to give a taste of what to expect.

Enjoyed the short. Slightly more adult than the average short from them in terms of subject they were tackling and it would probably be given a PG-13 rating weirdly for use of the word “ass”.

Overall I really can’t wait for Disney+ as I think there’s so much potential in their originals.

From an industry insider....Disney's home entertainment division has drastically cut back the amount of packaged goods (DVD's & Blu Rays) that are available on the market. They are limiting and only minimally fulfilling orders to vendors, thus create a shortage of product, which in turn will force consumers to subscribe to their streaming service if they want to experience the Disney magic.

New Muppets Series on Disney+ in the Works for 2020 /Film

Rumored that there will be a new show called "Muppets Live Another Day" revolving around the Muppets gathering together to solve the mysterious disappearance of Rowlf. It could work, and sounds more promising than the mockumentary, but I'm dismayed in what clearly should be a new Muppet Show with sketches. They've tested this format out in live venues a few times recently and it worked wonders. I get that Iger is probably pushing for something that people can binge, but variety (no pun intended) never hurts.

From an industry insider....Disney's home entertainment division has drastically cut back the amount of packaged goods (DVD's & Blu Rays) that are available on the market. They are limiting and only minimally fulfilling orders to vendors, thus create a shortage of product, which in turn will force consumers to subscribe to their streaming service if they want to experience the Disney magic.

I don't see the problem in that. The physical format isn't dead, but it's not looking healthy.

Cut back on unhealthy media+work on and release gamechanging service= profit :grin:

that's kind of their plan.....cut costs of producing/marketing packaged goods and costs of a sales force.....replace with less costly streaming services....the major caveat though is there's a large segment of the buying public that wants actual physical goods....it's a fine line to tow, and requires appropriate balancing to reach maximum profit.........and it makes sense for Disney to use the rarity of their product availability to drive customers to their new platform....it will be interesting to see how this plays out since actual movie streaming profits have so far been elusive for the movie studios, with streaming sales significantly under projections. It's hard to charge when customers are used to getting so much free and/or stolen on the internet....But if it could work for any company, Disney's probably got the best chance for success of any of the movie studios, due to their unique product.

Last edited by a moderator:
that's kind of their plan.....cut costs of producing/marketing packaged goods and costs of a sales force.....replace with less costly streaming services....the major caveat though is there's a large segment of the buying public that wants actual physical goods....it's a fine line to tow, and requires appropriate balancing to reach maximum profit.........and it makes sense for Disney to use the rarity of their product availability to drive customers to their new platform....it will be interesting to see how this plays out since actual movie streaming profits have so far been elusive for the movie studios, with streaming sales significantly under projections. It's hard to charge when customers are used to getting so much free and/or stolen on the internet....But if it could work for any company, Disney's probably got the best chance for success of any of the movie studios, due to their unique product.

I don't think anyone who prefers physical media will have any trouble getting hands on it. When is the last time there was any notable shortage on a given title?

I don't think anyone who prefers physical media will have any trouble getting hands on it. When is the last time there was any notable shortage on a given title?

But remember the good old Disney Vault. Who knows if they may want to bring it back and the only way to get "vaulted" titles would be D+.

The other concern is that with the Fox acquisition that's 2 studios of home entertainment to cut back on to make synergies. With less numbers of titles to push to retailers, they won't have to discount as aggressively.

I mean, there are ways that you can make a Variety show work really well. Netflix & Amazon have proved that quite well, so I would think they'd want to capitalize on something like that with an IP that has been proven great responses.

I'm hoping that this will be available as a rolling contract. I don't need to have Disney+ every month of the year but getting it for a few months when the big releases happen and then cancelling it again is probably the only way I'm going to get on board with it.

But remember the good old Disney Vault. Who knows if they may want to bring it back and the only way to get "vaulted" titles would be D+.

The other concern is that with the Fox acquisition that's 2 studios of home entertainment to cut back on to make synergies. With less numbers of titles to push to retailers, they won't have to discount as aggressively.

Neither of these qualify as problems to my view, or at least problems Disney is obligated, ethically or otherwise, to solve for consumers.

The Vault is brilliant marketing that, frankly, the rest of the media companies were foolish not to take up.

As for your second point, my only real response is "so?" I don't see the problem, honestly, beyond "we won't get so many discounts."

Reactions: SeventyOne
I'm hoping that this will be available as a rolling contract. I don't need to have Disney+ every month of the year but getting it for a few months when the big releases happen and then cancelling it again is probably the only way I'm going to get on board with it.

I don't think you'll see any major streaming service ever go to a long term contract, unless it's some sort of "pay six months, get x free" promo like Sling and their free Roku bix.