Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

Disney+ has officially launched on the website. I'm not sure about any phone apps, video game consoles, smart TVs or things like Roku, Apple TV, Fire stick, etc though. I'm currently logged in and about to watch The Mandalorian.

I find it weird Mandalorian reviews haven't dropped yet the rest of the Disney shows reviews have been released
I've heard that it was to keep a lid on spoilers. There was an extended preview of the show for fan sites a few weeks ago that generated positive buzz. Either way, lots of reviews and opinions will come out from the first episode today.

On that note, let's try to make sure we're keeping Mandalorian talk to it's dedicated thread from here on: The Mandalorian | Inside Universal Forums

Ive heard of lots of interest beyond our crowd, the question is if that’s enough to keep their lofty content goals and high cost of operation in balance.
Disney bought Fox for $80 billion just to get more content for Disney+.

They expect Disney+ to be at least $80B successful.

So far after spending some time looking through everything on Disney+, adding a bunch of stuff to my list and watching a few shorts, I have to say the highlights of the service so far for me are the depth of content, The Mandalorian, Nat Geo stuff (so much of that stuff looks fascinating) and the DVD/Blu-Ray Extras that come with the service! That was the only reason I bought blu-rays still so being able to through on Endgame and then watch the extras all from Disney+ is awesome.

Disney bought Fox for $80 billion just to get more content for Disney+.

They expect Disney+ to be at least $80B successful.
The Fox deal wasn’t only about Disney+. It was about an entire streaming package that includes Disney+, Hulu and ESPN+. It was also about getting Star India, which may not seem like a big deal to American audiences, but it’s a huge network in India.

Also, Disney has made back about $15-$20B from the Fox deal from things they’ve divested. If Disney+ were to ever be worth anywhere near the amount you said, they’ll be well into the green from that deal.

Last edited:
Has anyone been able to access the service on a Samsung smart TV? I only have it on my Apple devices right now. Didn’t see it on the X1 platform either

So some snap reviews of original content:

The Mandalorian - Looks like it has big time potential and Mando is a genuine badass who just doesn’t give a ****.

HSM:TM:TS - Not for me, but was sort of a Glee-lite. Had some charm, but I’m also unsure why it’s a mockumentary.

Pixar Spark Shorts - They’re Pixar shorts. That’s all you need to know.

Pixar IRL & Forky Asks a Question - Cute, but both seemed like something that belonged on YouTube.

The World According to Jeff Goldblum - Simply charming.

Haven’t gotten around to The Imagineering Story yet which I’m greatly looking forward to. Lady and the Tramp I really have no interest in. I heard it’s pretty meh so I’ll save myself the 90 minutes for now.

I definitely couldn’t live with just this service as it’s too sugary sweet for me to constantly use. I need a Netflix or Hulu in my life to balance things out. However, there’s just so much on this service that I really enjoy and like I mentioned earlier, the fact that bonus features are included is AMAZING. I could spend hours just watching bonus features I’ve never seen from different movies.

Worth noting Disney DIDNT censor Dumbo. They put a disclaimer at the beginning. They didn’t censor Bart’s bare penis in The Simpsons Movie either, although I do wonder how long that’ll last. The TS2 Stinky Pete end credits part was cut, but I had to really pay attention as there’s still plenty of content at the closing credits.

Speaking of, older episodes of The Simpsons that were made to be seen in 4:3 aspect ratio are being shown in wide screen, cutting off some of the animation.

I don't know that going in and re-editing older works (often without the input/participation/consent of the original creators) to conform to today's standards (whatever those may be) is a particularly ethical or worthwhile endeavor.

Almost any older movie could contain something that might offend someone. Scrubbing them from the record could be a dangerous path to go down.

Warner Bros. handled this sort of stuff the exact right way with their presentations of the various controversial Looney Tunes shorts by supplying historical context, modern analysis, and then the unedited piece of work.

I'd be way less concerned with self censoring if Disney made uncensored versions available, something they are clearly uninterested in doing. That's where my issue comes from.

These were the two best takes from the censoring talk, IMO.

Worth noting Disney DIDNT censor Dumbo.

I'm glad they didn't. That's a great song.

I always thought they were a bit reactionary towards that scene.

Going to sign up today or tomorrow most likely. Wanna get my Star Wars movie marathon going asap. I think they'll see a big jump in subscribers once The Mandalorian hits off and when the Marvel shows begin. Which I believe is not until next fall.

Signed up last night in Canada around 9PM as it came out for Android TV. Watched Imagineering Story, as it seemed the right place to start.

Simply wonderful. What a gem, cannot wait for more.

Interface is awesome. Love the “Through the Decades” section.