Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

Getting this tonight, likely going to start with either The Mandalorian or Imagineering Story. Excited to begin!! Can’t wait to see all the content. Any suggestions for new content beyond the 2 I mentioned?
Waking Sleeping Beauty is a fantastic documentary about Disney Animation. Great companion to the Pixar Story (which is on Netflix, but will probably hit Disney+ eventually)

Waking Sleeping Beauty is a fantastic documentary about Disney Animation. Great companion to the Pixar Story (which is on Netflix, but will probably hit Disney+ eventually)
It’s still quite awhile until Disney gets The Pixar Story back. November 18, 2021 to be exact.

ECB98F31-2BA4-4BF1-B9A5-40D88E449C6A.png

If the Imagineering Story ends up being a giant hit, I’m assuming Disney will pay to get early access to the Pixar Story (since it’s the same creators)
I doubt it. Nobody (or at least very very few) will be subscribing to Disney+ bc they want to watch The Pixar Story.

Depending on how Disney perceived that The Imagineering Story did for the service, I see the more likely scenario being them hiring Leslie Iwerks to do another docuseries. One on Marvel would be cool.

They aren't necessarily wrong...
‘The Mandalorian’ Ending Reveals A Core Problem With Disney Plus

The Mandalorian had me hooked in a big way... now there's really no must-see new content on Disney+ as far as the eye can see from my perspective. I know some Star Wars fans will definitely want to watch Season 7 of Clone Wars when it starts in February, but in order to enjoy that, you've really got to have watched the first 6 seasons, so that will have much less overall appeal. There are a few more docuseries that i'm excited about (there's a NatGeo one about the behind the scenes of DAK and Epcot's (Seas) wildlife program). There's that Star Wars game Show coming later this year. These are all quick and cheap things to produce and churn out.

The next big series to hit Disney+ though seems to be Falcon and Winter Soldier and that won't be until Late Summer/Early Fall. The Mandalorian Season 2 will likely be Late Fall. That's a long time between now and the next marquee series. Now Disney has me since I got the 3-year deal, but with that it means my per month price is only about $5. I know a lot of people were gifted Disney+ memberships for Christmas and such, but people going month-to-month I think will be canceling as soon as they are done with Mandalorian.

I will say the Magic Camp movie coming to the service sounds interesting, if potentially controversial as I believe this will be Jeffrey Tambor's first on screen appearance since his scandal (although it should be noted this movie was actual cast back in 2016 and filmed in 2017... seems Disney shelved this movie once the controversy came to light). The movie does have a story credit by Steve Martin though with Adam DeVine and Gillian Jacobs (Netflix's Love) in leading roles.

I’m not even a fan of The Simpsons and yeah, it’s pretty soft by adult animation standards, but you guys are way off base.

I think where Disney miscalculated, if they even did, was thinking that it would be popular with the average, four-quadrant “Disney viewer”.

Problem with hitching your wagon to the Simpsons is there is no good new content coming. There may not even be much watchable content coming by fans' standards. There's no Mando season 2 or Loki show on the horizon, just the same tired 'member berries that get diluted with each forced new season of mediocre content.

Problem with hitching your wagon to the Simpsons is there is no good new content coming. There may not even be much watchable content coming by fans' standards. There's no Mando season 2 or Loki show on the horizon, just the same tired 'member berries that get diluted with each forced new season of mediocre content.
:eek:O:

I literally said that in the lengthy post above yours I wrote in which you clearly saw since you liked it.

I said this to my roommate yesterday. Mandalorian was amazing. But now I have no use for Disney+ until season two. There just isn't enough compelling new adult content. Lets be honest, a lot of the content on Disney+ is old nostalgic movies. Most of which, until recently, was available on other platforms.

I said this to my roommate yesterday. Mandalorian was amazing. But now I have no use for Disney+ until season two. There just isn't enough compelling new adult content. Lets be honest, a lot of the content on Disney+ is old nostalgic movies. Most of which, until recently, was available on other platforms.
I wouldn’t say most. Only parts of the ‘Vault’ would open up on Netflix at a time and then go away for something else. Nothing has ever all been available at one’s fingertips whenever they want literally almost anything Disney has made.

That said, it’s gonna be a rough first year getting to Falcon and Winter Soldier and then Mandalorian 2. Once we get there though, I think the service will be in a lot better place. They will likely alternate between Marvel and Star Wars shows as the main draw with some content aimed at a younger audience that older ones can still enjoy sprinkled in (like the Monsters at Work and Muppets show).

The way I see things playing out is sort of like this:
The Mandalorian - Fall 2019
The Clone Wars (Season 7) - February 2020
(Big gap of a lot of nothing)
Falcon and Winter Soldier - Late Summer/Early Fall 2020
The Mandalorian (Season 2) - Fall 2020
WandaVision - Early 2021
Obi-Wan - Early/mid 2021?
Loki - Early/Mid 2021
What if...? - Mid 2021
Hawkeye - Fall 2021
The Mandalorian (Season 3) - Fall 2021
Cassian Andor series - Early 2022
Other Marvel shows like Ms. Marvel, Moon Knight, She-Hulk, etc.

So basically it’s gonna take until 2021 until Disney+ truly hits it’s stride.

To me, the purpose from the get go for Disney + was to have access to the entire Disney Vault which was Nick said, was not ever available in full anywhere. Yes it plays a lot on nostalgia but that’s kinda part of Disney and why I got it. Tons of Pixar films that I’ve never re watched, some movies from my childhood, Mandalorian, Imagineering story (just saw 1st episode, incredible!!!), Star Wars animated shows, BF hasn’t seen any Marvel films, so for us, this is perfect. By the time we get through all that season 2 of Mandalorian will have debuted and we’re into the Marvel shows. I’m loving it so far though for what I’ve paid totally feel it’s worth it.

And our subscription is canceled.

The fact that we tried SEVEN DIFFERENT TIMES to simply bundle our commercial-free Hulu and ESPN+ with Disney+ and it failed every time.

We’ll resubscribe for season 2.

I’m quite enjoying the service thus far. I’m oddly not loving the Mandalorian, liking it, not loving it or super invested. I’ll finish it for sure though, and the production value is great.

Imagineering Story is fantastic, just cannot recommend enough for people who haven’t seen it yet. Not at all a commercial for the parks like I feared it would be.

Bf loves Chris Pratt and has never seen Guardians so we are watching that this evening. No complaints about the service yet.

Having never seen the animated Star Wars shows, are they for adults? Clone Wars sounds interesting hypothetically but no idea if it’s worth the watch or not.

It doesn’t work. It treats us like its a 7-day trial every time.

It’s not a big deal. We want(ed) Disney+ strictly for The Mandalorian and the new Marvel shows.
Yeah, as I said, this first year is gonna be rough as far as original content goes, but for me, there’s so many movies on here I haven’t seen (There’s lots of Disney animation and live action stuff I know a lot about bc of the parks, but have never seen) so I’m cool with having it just to pop one of those on every once in awhile.

Once the Marvel and Star Wars show really start coming in one after another, the service will seem a lot more lively. I’m gonna predict Avatar will get a series eventually (or possibly some sort of Indy spin-off?). Disney seems to want to be capitalizing on literally every brand they have with shows. I mean, there’s a True Lies show in development :lol:

They need more original adult content. Outside of the Mandalorian, everything seems like a Disney Commercial masquerading as a documentary or a rehash of old IP's. I'm not someone that gets wrapped up in Nostalgia.

For me, I treat streaming services as a replacement for television not a replacement for rent a movie night. I need fresh and compelling new shows, by great writers and good reality TV shows sprinkled in. I need a lot of content like that. I don't care to watch old movies I've already seen and the Marvel shows coming up seem to rehash what we've seen in the movies on a low budget.

There’s also a Monsters Inc show debuting next year I believe. That should have a little more adult appeal than the typical Disney show because they’re bringing back the movie cast and I think Pixar will be animating it.

There’s also a Monsters Inc show debuting next year I believe. That should have a little more adult appeal than the typical Disney show because they’re bringing back the movie cast and I think Pixar will be animating it.
Yes, Monsters at Work. I’d say it will have nostalgic appeal for adults.

Personally, I’m more looking forward to The Muppets variety show.