Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney+

Sounds to me like Disney just doesn't allow much creative control whatsoever and directors are all finally getting fussed over it and leaving.

That's not a bad thing. Most Disney films/shows at this point are really factory product. Auteur directors like Edgar Wright and Lord and Miller are awesome, but there's really no place in what is really work-for-hire for it. It's not a knock on them PR on Disney's product, just a bad fit.

High Fidelity (too adult), High school musical the musical (reshot because too adult), Lizze Mcguire reboot (creative differences)...I get the feeling that Disney doesn't know what they are doing with these shows that aren't marvel/lucasfilms
High Fidelity isn’t really fair to include bc it actually was allowed to go more adult - they simply moved it from D+ to Hulu because of it.

Also, HSM may have had reshoots bc of that, but it was bc Disney wanted it to hit their core 8-12 Disney Channel demo. It also has nostalgic appeal and on the whole isn’t that bad of a show (although you can tell it was limited in how adult it was allowed to go).

So I just started watching Marvel’s Runaways since all 3 seasons are now on Disney+. I never watched it when I had Hulu so I like that Disney brought it over. Only a few episodes in and the show already sticks out as one of the most Adult-leaning on the service as far as content goes.

That’s not saying a ton, but at the same time if this can be the bar for what’s acceptable on at least a few of the D+ series then I hope we get it this. Some stronger language and sexual situations here and there is all I ask, and this show has it at the right level.

I know none of this is likely to happen, but let me dream :lol:

So I just started watching Marvel’s Runaways since all 3 seasons are now on Disney+. I never watched it when I had Hulu so I like that Disney brought it over. Only a few episodes in and the show already sticks out as one of the most Adult-leaning on the service as far as content goes.

That’s not saying a ton, but at the same time if this can be the bar for what’s acceptable on at least a few of the D+ series then I hope we get it this. Some stronger language and sexual situations here and there is all I ask, and this show has it at the right level.

I know none of this is likely to happen, but let me dream :lol:

I'm actually surprised they put it on Disney+. It also probably because not many people were watching it on Hulu.

I'm actually surprised they put it on Disney+. It also probably because not many people were watching it on Hulu.
Hulu's interface is not very user-friendly, which is part of the problem. Both ESPN+ and Disney+ use the same interface so I wouldn't be surprised if they change to something similar. At the same time, the interface also separates Hulu from being just another Disney streaming service (at least visibly).

I cancelled my Disney+ nothing on it I really want to watch. I'll sign up again when a new show gets talked about on my Facebook feed.

Disney+ is doing exactly what it needs to for its intended audience (mostly kids). My 11 y/o sister has drastically cut time from watching YouTube and spends a ton of time with D+ now with a lot of what she watches being originals (HSM:TM:TS, Encore!, Imagineering Story specifically)

Right now, I’m finishing up watching Runaways, but after that I’ll probably put the service down for a bit to catch up on Netflix shows until something else catches my eye.

Im not sure what people expected with Disney+ at the start until the Marvel shows get put out constantly. The entire premise of it was to have complete access to the entire (or right now like 90% of) the Disney catalog. For Disney fans, who mainly live off nostalgia of the company, THAT is the sell. The Mandalorian, Marvel shows, and any other original content right now I find more to be a (no pun intended), plus. Its the first few months if their own streaming service, they aren't going to be as built up or fleshed out like Netflix is in its current state. Needs to take time and make profit before they can invest more than they are already for a relatively non proven entity.

Going from 6 episodes to 4 episodes, hm? Interesting. I wonder if they are going to have longer run time than Mandalorian OR if they are going to play this mini-series like a 2 hour movie - 4 episodes at roughly 30 minutes each. If you binge it, it plays as the Obi-Wan movie people were asking for for years.

I respect the fact they’re willing to wipe the slate of scripts if they want to make sure it feels different enough from The Mandalorian. Having multiple Star Wars series of people who are fearful of the Empire protecting a force-sensitive child.

I hope this doesn’t mean a cut in the hours of content though. Maybe they’ll go the Sherlock route and have movie length episodes?

Last edited:
I respect the fact they’re willing to wipe
The slate of scripts if they want to make sure it feels different enough from The Mandalorian. Having multiple Star Wars series of people who are fearful of the Empire protecting a force-sensitive child.
I hope this doesn’t mean a cut in the hours of content though. Maybe they’ll go the Sherlock route and have movie length episodes?
I highly doubt movie length episodes.