Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Walt Disney Studios Park €2bn Overhaul

Although it should be noted that Disney's deal with the French government says that that must have a Third Park started by 2030 (currently). I have a feeling that that date will be pushed back, as it has already in the past, since Disney is investing so much in WDSP.

As to questions on if there's room for a third park - yes, over by the Sequoia Lodge is where it would go.
Would the original deal still count? I thought that the deals regarding the hotel financing and third gate etc went out the window when the takeover happened.

Would the original deal still count? I thought that the deals regarding the hotel financing and third gate etc went out the window when the takeover happened.
I'm not 100%.

It makes sense that it would go out the window given that The Walt Disney Company now owns 100% of the company. They're certainly better off with two quality gates rather than going for three. The resort needs to prove it can turn a profit and continually see growth in attendance in order for them to even think about a third.

The simple fact is that unless the original deal is out of the window that DLP is unlikely to EVER make a profit.
I'll have to try and get clarification on if the deal still stands or not.

Anyway, Iger met with French President Emmanuel Macron to tout the investment to the French economy as they need the publicity simply to try to get people to want to think of Paris as a place to vacation... they are currently running a #ChooseFrance campaign on social media.

When asked about a third park, this was Iger's answer: “It’s too early to picture a third park at Marne-la-Vallée.”

Here's a full article from the Iger-Macron meeting from DLPToday:

I'm not 100% sure but I seem to recall the third park being part of a government clause allowing Disney build on the land. With the Disney having full ownership I guess its their call when/if they built another gate.

From what I remember the deal basically laid out a series of deadlines for hotels and parks. It was the conditions of the initial financing package to EURODISNEY SCA. Since they are no longer part of the equation I assumed that TWDC no longer had that financial millstone around their necks. Let’s hope that is the case or the servicing of the debt will still be killing them. Iirc they’ve been servicing debts for hotels that will probably never be built

Translation: Unlike TDR, Paris is owned by TWDC, so expect massive budget cuts. :)

That's actually no longer a very fair statement.

TDR in the last 5 years cancelled or delayed to the point they don't currently exist a dedicated Scandinavian (aka Frozen) port, a new multi-attraction Alice in Wonderland area, a total Small World rebuild and replacement of Tomorrowland Terrace with a highly adorned European village area with a dedicated fancy table service parade overlook restaurant...

With a Theatre, a Big Hero Six whip ride, a new Soaring and a Small World Refurb. Plus a dedicated Minnie Meet and Greet for completion sake. Not to mention most of the above paragraph was supposed to be opening this year.

None of TWDC's owned or co-owned park's plans, (that have been publicly announced) have been as dramatically slashed as what TDR has done. I acknowledge OLC is supposed to have more coming eventually.

Plus TWDC >> Euro Disney SCA

That's actually no longer a very fair statement.

TDR in the last 5 years cancelled or delayed to the point they don't currently exist a dedicated Scandinavian (aka Frozen) port, a new multi-attraction Alice in Wonderland area, a total Small World rebuild and replacement of Tomorrowland Terrace with a highly adorned European village area with a dedicated fancy table service parade overlook restaurant...

With a Theatre, a Big Hero Six whip ride, a new Soaring and a Small World Refurb. Plus a dedicated Minnie Meet and Greet for completion sake. Not to mention most of the above paragraph was supposed to be opening this year.

None of TWDC's owned or co-owned park's plans, (that have been publicly announced) have been as dramatically slashed as what TDR has done. I acknowledge OLC is supposed to have more coming eventually.

Plus TWDC >> Euro Disney SCA

Yeah. I haven't been to TDR in 10 years and I don't think much has changed in that time. I think just Monsters Inc, Toy Story Mania, Philharmagic, Fantasmic... is that it?

Yeah. I haven't been to TDR in 10 years and I don't think much has changed in that time. I think just Monsters Inc, Toy Story Mania, Philharmagic, Fantasmic... is that it?

Ya Monster's Inc squeaking in almost exactly 10 years ago as the biggest thing of substance. StormRider has been updated for Nemo, Jungle Cruise received a fairly substantial refurb. There is a Magic Carpet Spinner that is new.

Entertainment has been greatly redone in TDS: Big Band Beats, Mystic Rhythm and the Mermaid show. Plus the castle show and Dreamlights the parade gets updated it seems like semi-annually.

OLC is top notch in terms of park-ops, but TWDC capex seems to be flowing more freely recently.

That said, Beauty and the Beast from what I personally hear could very well be a top 5 attraction worldwide. Like WDW it was a 12 year E-ticket drought though. Far too long!

OLC is top notch in terms of park-ops, but TWDC capex seems to be flowing more freely recently.

Literally. I got to see Mickey Mouse Revue on my last trip and even that was in pristine condition. :lol:

The expansion plans look good, but I would say don't necessarily hold off if you are planing to visit. Disneyland Paris is a hell of a deal for people looking to make a trip over the next few years. Tickets are cheaper than the USA parks and flights from the east coast to Paris can sometimes be cheaper than flying to Los Angeles. Lots of cheap hotels offsite too. I'm trying to go just before the major season kicks in next year and hit up Puy du Fou which is apparently incredible.

Really?
From the UK, DLP is ridiculously expensive. It’s often cheaper to go to WDW for a week than to DLP.
Thats rubbish lol

You can do a week in for 2 at DLP for £1000, you can't do WDW for a week at that price!

Thats rubbish lol

You can do a week in for 2 at DLP for £1000, you can't do WDW for a week at that price!
Not rubbish at all
I’ve got 2 days/3 nights booked in DLP for later this year. Cost over £700 for 2. My daughter has booked a similar deal for 2 and hers is nearly £900. We did a week in CBR for a grand last year. You regularly see late deals with tui for under £700 for 2 weeks. We usually stay on I-drive and pay £700 ish for 16 nights, but could have changed to AoA for less than £50 pp. when booking I was always asked if I wanted to switch for that sort of figure. I paid over a grand to stay for a week in DLP over 20 years ago. From the UK DLP is crazy expensive, buying from the French or German sites is usually around 20% cheaper.

I'm assuming you're not taking park tickets into consideration.

I flew to DLP last year for £40pp flights, the cheapest I can get to Orlando is about £350pp on a horrendous flight.

There's no comparison.