Disneyland Expansion | Inside Universal Forums

Disneyland Expansion

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Brian G.

Editor-in-Chief
Jan 21, 2008
Orlando, FL
From Screamscape

(10/22/10) The popular rumor going around is that WDI may have been given the green light to move ahead with more development plans for possible two major new additions to Disneyland in the future. One of the long rumored (see below) revamp of Tomorrowland again, rumored to include a new PeopleMover, move the Rocket Jets back to where they belong, and build something new and GOOD where Innoventions stands. The second plan is also one long rumored... mainly because it’s about the only place in Disneyland that still has some undeveloped property. Yep... an expansion of Frontierland is on the table again. No one seems to know what attractions are being talked about this time, as previous efforts have included all kinds of ride ideas, including a Frontierland version of Tower of Terror once long ago themed as Geyser Mountain. There’s no telling what may be coming up this time, but I’ll see what I can dig up.

The major success of DCA and the impending arrival of Potter at Universal Hollywood has DLR expansion plans back in motion.

First, Disneyland currently has 2 E-Tickets on the fast track to be greenlit and built in Tomorrowland and Frontierland. Al Lutz says Big Thunder Ranch is the site for the Frontierland E-Ticket, and in Tomorrowland, the subs, Innoventions, and Autopia are on the chopping block. I think we may see the Tron E-Ticket in Tomorrowland.

Second, blue sky work has begun on a 3rd gate for DLR based completely on Marvel and thrills. The park will be aimed at teens and adults. Expect this project to have legs as long as Iger and his cronies are in power.

Third, parking and DVC will need to be added even if the 3rd park doesn't happen as long as DCA keeps going strong. Parking at DLR is at max capacity on most days. DCA success exacerbates that problem.

Reactions: Brian G.
The mere idea of a third gate that's Marvel-based is getting me more excited than anybody should be this early on a Tuesday... noon? Which is like 6AM on teenage summer schedule.

Why would they put the subs on the chopping block? They just pumped a bunch of money into them.

Why would they put the subs on the chopping block? They just pumped a bunch of money into them.

They are in the way, costly to maintain, and have very low capacity. If Autopia goes, so goes the subs. And would anyone really be sad if it's replaced by a TRON E-ticket?

Ok, this is just another of the 1000's of rumors heard in the last decade? Isn't Iger leaving soon? Everyone seems to be putting a lot of stock into this.

Possibly. But he could get it going as his last decree or something. I'd love for it to happen.

Where would the 3rd park even go?

I believe on another parking lot like DCA did. Meaning they'd have to build more parking garages.

Anything that gets rids of Innoventions is great for Tomorrowland.

I'd be interested to see a Marvel 3rd gate. They'd have big shoes to fill. Most of MSHI is pretty beatable, but even in a post-RSR world I don't see Disney being able to pull off something similar to Spiderman.

Heres an overhead view of the Disneyland Resort property. Although a member modified it with his own ideas on Micechat it still gives a general sense of an idea of how the resort is layed out. The "Third Park" outline is the Strawberry Fields where the Toy Story lot is currently located. I do believe when the Third park is ever built that Disney will buy the Struggling Garden Walk mall and create like a Downtown Disney East for guest to walk to when hopping to the third park. There will also be a few more parking structure built and i'm sure even more Disney owned Hotels. It will be interesting to see if any of these rumors play out in the years to come.

resort.jpg

So if this does actually happen does everyone think they could actually theme the entire park to the Avengers??? I mean I could see a large area or two revolving around the characters but to build an entire park seems like over kill. I mean how many Disney fans do you see ripping Universal because there adding another Potter land but there ok with adding an entire park on the Avengers??? Now before you get all like what...with me. Let me say I would actually enjoy it, but don't think it would be in the best interest of Disneyland to build a third gate based on one concept that has a limited audience. And I don't care how much money it made, it still only appeals to some people.

So if this does actually happen does everyone think they could actually theme the entire park to the Avengers??? I mean I could see a large area or two revolving around the characters but to build an entire park seems like over kill. I mean how many Disney fans do you see ripping Universal because there adding another Potter land but there ok with adding an entire park on the Avengers??? Now before you get all like what...with me. Let me say I would actually enjoy it, but don't think it would be in the best interest of Disneyland to build a third gate based on one concept that has a limited audience. And I don't care how much money it made, it still only appeals to some people.

Where have we seen that it would be an Avengers Park? A Marvel park means we'd also see the Fantasic 4, X-Men, and the rest of the Marvel Universe. In the scope of the entire Disneyland Resort, I think it could appeal to a wide enough audience.

Yeah I had Avengers on the mind, but I did mean Marvel as a whole. I know its a lot of stories but even Universal realized when developing IOA they could not do an ENTIRE park off of just cartoons let alone one type of cartoon.