1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Disneyland Paris

Discussion in 'Worldwide Disney Parks' started by knokout1, Jan 19, 2013.

1. knokout1

knokout1 Premium Member

After doing some searching to find a place to post something, I saw that there was no official thread for this park. So I figured I could start this for any Disney Paris related discussion.

To start, I found this video, giving a great tour of the park, it is truly beautiful, and quite a long video.

[video=youtube_share;q7O0LO3gUDo]http://youtu.be/q7O0LO3gUDo[/video]

2. UK-Trigg

UK-Trigg Veteran Member

Thanks for posting this video, will enjoy watching this over the weekend.

I have been a few times to DLP so thought I would share my 2 cents.

[​IMG]

DLP is a real pretty park, the castle and Main street are just stunning. Thanks to Eddie Sotto.

[​IMG]

With France being famous for castles (le chateau) Disney decided they had no choice but to go all in on the castle as it was deemed they couldn't build a "cheap" castle in "there own back yard" (France).

The park for all it good looks has been plagued with troubles since day one and was Eisner's biggest headache during his reign. A lot of troubles were down to differences in cultures, the French were up in arms over no booze in MK, staff would often strike and a lot of the things that made the US parks so special just didn't cut it with European culture, namely the French. It had a name change (Euro Disney)and has been riddled with debt and a third park, which was in the original deal with the french government, set to be up and running by 2017 has been shelved.

2 good reads
    http://homepages.which.net/~ian/history.html
    http://homepages.which.net/~ian/historybaxter.html

So it DLP has had a tough beggining but with Disney recently restructuring the debt the future looks a lot brighter.

Personally I like the park but the smoking everywhere, the pushing and shoving (Europeans do not know how to queue, it's a free for all at a M&G) and generally rude people take the shine off it, for me. WDW or DLR it ain't.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  3. ThemeParks4Life

ThemeParks4Life Veteran Member

They finally announced Ratatouille. From the Disney Parks Blog:

Oh yeah, and people are already complaining how DLP and WDW get everything and DL gets nothing. Things are going alot better for you then both WDW and DLP, so I wouldn't complain.

4. Miketheboss

Miketheboss BANNED

Its not all screens!!! Yay.

[video=youtube;gQ16SiMHkoQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ16SiMHkoQ[/video]

5. TylerDurden

TylerDurden Veteran Member

DLP is the reason we got DCA instead of WestCOT

6. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

It looks great. I really want to get over to Paris soon to experience those two parks.

7. neoshinok

neoshinok Rookie

This would be a great addition in Epcot's France or Pixar Place

8. Felipe

Felipe Premium Member

Agreed! I love EPCOT, but it could definitely use more rides.

9. illumination

illumination Rookie

I'm dying for some Ratatouille updates. Can't wait for a full ride video to come out this summer.

10. illumination

illumination Rookie

11. illumination

illumination Rookie

12. UNIrd

UNIrd Premium Member

The review was positive but I read it as underwhelmed for some reason.

13. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

[video=youtube;hAPKF6zKCqE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAPKF6zKCqE[/video]

This is a really suprising Dark ride and I love the idea and how it was done.

14. illumination

illumination Rookie

Based on the POV video, it looked great but not quite what I expected. It seems there are longer bits where you are just in a video projection dome, but the few times you are out in the full sets it's spectacular--I love all the oversized kitchen items they built.

The only critical thing I would say is that the video screens are so bright and they have that black and white floor tile, which doesn't blend in at all to the actual set that has a solid gray floor and is dark. If they made the animation more seamless to the actual set it would be perfect. Of course, every ride (even at Uni) has it's ups and downs.

15. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

Pretty neat ride the only gripe I have (well two really) is that the floor reflects the heck out of the projection and kind of takes you out of the illusion..and the ride appears to have no movement in the projection scenes which really kills it, but without a height restriction..that's probably not what they wanted...granted I was viewing it from home on YouTube but that is what I see

16. Skipper Justin

Skipper Justin Veteran Member

I missed it by a few weeks when I was in Europe. I am very jealous! It looks amazing.

17. UK-Trigg

UK-Trigg Veteran Member

You'll have to plan another trip :thumbs:

18. Cole

Cole Veteran Member

"Ughh universal only uses screens, they'll never get Disney magic" bah!!! So this ride is a mix of Spider-man and Antarctica and overall I'm not impressed from what I see. I thought it would have a lot more AAs and sets. Didn't think there would be one screen but it looks as screen heavy as transformers. I take back what I said, let Euro Disney take this one and keep it far from Epcot

19. Jon84

Jon84 Have you tried turning it off and on again? Premium Member

Personally I think it's difficult to judge anything made by any park from a video.

I am looking forward to seeing this in a couple of years, it's a much needed attraction in WDS

From what I saw of the areas theming when I was there I december it looks solid. Also photos of the resturant look great too

20. illumination

illumination Rookie

On the plus side, the Ratatouille physical sets are impressive. Tall ceilings with huge oversized kitchen props going all the way up. They even look good with the lights on, based on a few pictures I've seen. Not a very good blending between the screens and the sets though.