Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland Paris Resort

We're looking into going this summer, has anyone stayed at the Disneyland Paris Hotel? It seems like such a cool place to stay but seeing some reviews saying it hasn't been kept up and is dilapidated in areas.

We're looking into going this summer, has anyone stayed at the Disneyland Paris Hotel? It seems like such a cool place to stay but seeing some reviews saying it hasn't been kept up and is dilapidated in areas.

I went in 2012 so it’s been a while but yes The lack of upkeep was evident across the resort. If I’m not mistaken the Newport resort was undergoing a remodeled this year.

Other than location it really does not have much going for it. Newport is newly remodeled, lovely and fresh, sequoia is even rather nice both have the benefit of being one of the three around the lake so a short walk to the parks.

For those that have been, where would you recommend staying?

We're thinking a day or 2 in London, then at DL for like 2 or 3 days and a couple days just going around Paris.

I did a similar trip but only did one day at DLP. I did both Disneyland and the studios in one day during Christmas week and got to ride space mountain over 10 times. It was that empty. I stayed in Paris and just took the train over to the resort.

For those that have been, where would you recommend staying?

We're thinking a day or 2 in London, then at DL for like 2 or 3 days and a couple days just going around Paris.

We always tend to stay in one of the hotels around the lake (sequoia, new port or New York [soon to be Marvel]) these have the least walking and are just generally nicer.

If you are on a budget however Cheyenne and Santa Fe are still good enough but you may want to get the bus.

It’s all dependent on what you want to do in London I live in London and even I could find enough to fill up a few days if I was visiting.

Disney, it’s really dependant on what rides you want to do and whether or not you are a re-rider people. Some rides such as Ratatouille, Toy Story, Crush’s Coster and ToT (especially with the lack of rides at the moment) get quite lengthy queues. We usually do a minimum of three days but we like to take our time and do re-rides. Space mountain isn’t the best example in the years I have been going I have never queued longer than 15 minutes and yes it’s very easy to do 10 plus times :lol:

We spent a day in Paris and wouldn’t really do more than this, if you’re planning on doing museums perhaps do a little longer as the queues can be lengthy.

I don't personally think the Disneyland Paris hotels offer much of anything special. I think it's more worthwhile and possibly cheaper to find a hotel or Airbnb on the train line. That's what I did at least.

Disney renegotiated with the French government so that they aren't contractually obligated to build a third theme park at DLPR until at least 2036. This is from a deal made with the French Government when Disney bought the land. From the article: "The agreement may continue to be renegotiated until the theme parks reach an annual attendance of 22 million. As of publish time, the parks have about 15 million annual visitors."

Disney renegotiated with the French government so that they aren't contractually obligated to build a third theme park at DLPR until at least 2036. This is from a deal made with the French Government when Disney bought the land. From the article: "The agreement may continue to be renegotiated until the theme parks reach an annual attendance of 22 million. As of publish time, the parks have about 15 million annual visitors."

The average "European" has at least 4 weeks paid vacation. also extra holiday days like first (and second) day of Christmas are free and paid (there are more). Most also buy vacation days (I went up to 2 weeks and I wasn't an exception). It won't be a surprise that "Europeans" aren't willing/able to spent more than a 1000 euro for a week vacation(depending on income). The demographic who goes to a theme park aren't the rich but lower and middle class people.
Disney has a ton of promotions going on all year to try to get their parks filled but it will never, ever make as much money as the US parks.

This is definitely good news. Gives them more time to fix the Studios and add to the main park. They certainly don't need a token cheap 3rd gate just to fulfil contractual obligations.

The average "European" has at least 4 weeks paid vacation. also extra holiday days like first (and second) day of Christmas are free and paid (there are more). Most also buy vacation days (I went up to 2 weeks and I wasn't an exception). It won't be a surprise that "Europeans" aren't willing/able to spent more than a 1000 euro for a week vacation(depending on income). The demographic who goes to a theme park aren't the rich but lower and middle class people.
Disney has a ton of promotions going on all year to try to get their parks filled but it will never, ever make as much money as the US parks.

True, but it has been the most visited European tourist attraction since it opened so it's not doing too badly, it was just crippled with debt.

The biggest setback for a Disney (or Universal) park in Europe is they don't buy souvenirs and they bring their own food and drink as they don't wantr to be fleeced for lunch. The opposite is true in the US and Japan which is partly why the parks there do so well.

True, but it has been the most visited European tourist attraction since it opened so it's not doing too badly, it was just crippled with debt.

The biggest setback for a Disney (or Universal) park in Europe is they don't buy souvenirs and they bring their own food and drink as they don't wantr to be fleeced for lunch. The opposite is true in the US and Japan which is partly why the parks there do so well.
Yes it is Europe's most visited theme park resort. In 2019 that was for Disneyland Park (9.8 million) and Walt Disney Studios Park (5.3 million). It are the only theme parks in Europe who have a budget to advertise in all countries in the EU. When you look at Europa park in Germany they have 5.72 million visitors and Efteling in my home country is doing 5.4 million, both on a fraction of the budget and costs of the Disney parks.
Even WDW in Florida isn't the main attraction for most European travelers. They do all the theme parks, shopping and some sightseeing.
(source: 20 most visited theme parks in Europe revealed | News | ThemeParks-EU)

I wonder if an indoor/outdoor Water Park would qualify. Like Rulantica at Europa. I know they have the Nature place, I stayed there for two nights but that is small.

62 Acres.

By comparison the main Disneyland park is 126 acres and Disneys Hollywood Studios in Orlando is supposedly 135 acres (I'm guessing they must count the parking lots!)

By the Numbers: A Comparison of Disney's Theme Parks | Theme Park Tourist
Good point. Yeah, part of it's kind of all in what non public walking areas they include.DHS, for example, always seemed very small since the public walking areas were, in reality, pretty small. But when Disney talked about the size of the park, they were speaking of the backlot tour areas, Fantasmic and other back of the park areas. It's like that at Universal too. The other week someone on this site posted a map of the normal public areas of USF, and that equaled apx. 80 acres. BUT, Universal does use other areas, like the sound stages for HHN and the tents for HHN, that probably take it over the 100 plus acres for the park that most list it as being . AND, then there's the areas used for support operations. So, for the real feel of a park's size, a description really needs to differentiate on whether that size computation is normal walking and attraction areas, inclusion, or exclusion, of areas used for special events and festivals, and back of house operations. So, when I look at some of these figures, I do so with a jaundiced eye, realizing that they need to better quantify what they define as 'actual' park.

Insider on Magic just said he heard Disney Execs. are meeting on this, They may close as early as Weds., or wait until Friday. Guess they're monitoring attendance. If it drops quickly they may as well close for a while.

Insider on Magic just said he heard Disney Execs. are meeting on this, They may close as early as Weds., or wait until Friday. Guess they're monitoring attendance. If it drops quickly they may as well close for a while.
I'll be there (or not) on the 26th.