Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland Paris Resort

knokout1

Premium Member
Jun 25, 2009
Tampa
After doing some searching to find a place to post something, I saw that there was no official thread for this park. So I figured I could start this for any Disney Paris related discussion.

To start, I found this video, giving a great tour of the park, it is truly beautiful, and quite a long video.

[video=youtube_share;q7O0LO3gUDo]http://youtu.be/q7O0LO3gUDo[/video]

knokout1
After doing some searching to find a place to post something, I saw that there was no official thread for this park. So I figured I could start this for any Disney Paris related discussion.

To start, I found this video, giving a great tour of the park, it is truly beautiful, and quite a long video.

Thanks for posting this video, will enjoy watching this over the weekend.

I have been a few times to DLP so thought I would share my 2 cents.

DLP2011_047.jpg

DLP is a real pretty park, the castle and Main street are just stunning. Thanks to Eddie Sotto.

DLP2011_135.jpg

With France being famous for castles (le chateau) Disney decided they had no choice but to go all in on the castle as it was deemed they couldn't build a "cheap" castle in "there own back yard" (France).

The park for all it good looks has been plagued with troubles since day one and was Eisner's biggest headache during his reign. A lot of troubles were down to differences in cultures, the French were up in arms over no booze in MK, staff would often strike and a lot of the things that made the US parks so special just didn't cut it with European culture, namely the French. It had a name change (Euro Disney)and has been riddled with debt and a third park, which was in the original deal with the french government, set to be up and running by 2017 has been shelved.

2 good reads
http://homepages.which.net/~ian/history.html
http://homepages.which.net/~ian/historybaxter.html

So it DLP has had a tough beggining but with Disney recently restructuring the debt the future looks a lot brighter.

Personally I like the park but the smoking everywhere, the pushing and shoving (Europeans do not know how to queue, it's a free for all at a M&G) and generally rude people take the shine off it, for me. WDW or DLR it ain't.

DLP2011_228.jpg

Last edited:
They finally announced Ratatouille. From the Disney Parks Blog:

This new family-focused attraction will open at the resort’s Walt Disney Studios Park in 2014. The film tells the tale of Remy, a cuisine-loving rat, who dreams of becoming a talented French chef. According to Gas, Disneyland Paris is the perfect setting for such an attraction:

“By developing this new ‘Ratatouille’ attraction, we continue to ensure our guests can experience their favorite Disney stories in memorable ways that only Disney can provide,” he said. “The theme, which is very français, is a tribute to the capital and the unforgettable characters that make ‘Ratatouille’ the ideal choice for an attraction that fits perfectly at Disneyland Paris.”

Oh yeah, and people are already complaining how DLP and WDW get everything and DL gets nothing. Things are going alot better for you then both WDW and DLP, so I wouldn't complain.

Its not all screens!!! Yay.

[video=youtube;gQ16SiMHkoQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQ16SiMHkoQ[/video]

It looks great. I really want to get over to Paris soon to experience those two parks.

The review was positive but I read it as underwhelmed for some reason.

The review was positive but I read it as underwhelmed for some reason.

Based on the POV video, it looked great but not quite what I expected. It seems there are longer bits where you are just in a video projection dome, but the few times you are out in the full sets it's spectacular--I love all the oversized kitchen items they built.

The only critical thing I would say is that the video screens are so bright and they have that black and white floor tile, which doesn't blend in at all to the actual set that has a solid gray floor and is dark. If they made the animation more seamless to the actual set it would be perfect. Of course, every ride (even at Uni) has it's ups and downs.

Pretty neat ride the only gripe I have (well two really) is that the floor reflects the heck out of the projection and kind of takes you out of the illusion..and the ride appears to have no movement in the projection scenes which really kills it, but without a height restriction..that's probably not what they wanted...granted I was viewing it from home on YouTube but that is what I see

"Ughh universal only uses screens, they'll never get Disney magic" bah!!! So this ride is a mix of Spider-man and Antarctica and overall I'm not impressed from what I see. I thought it would have a lot more AAs and sets. Didn't think there would be one screen but it looks as screen heavy as transformers. I take back what I said, let Euro Disney take this one and keep it far from Epcot

Personally I think it's difficult to judge anything made by any park from a video.

I am looking forward to seeing this in a couple of years, it's a much needed attraction in WDS

From what I saw of the areas theming when I was there I december it looks solid. Also photos of the resturant look great too

"Ughh universal only uses screens, they'll never get Disney magic" bah!!! So this ride is a mix of Spider-man and Antarctica and overall I'm not impressed from what I see. I thought it would have a lot more AAs and sets. Didn't think there would be one screen but it looks as screen heavy as transformers. I take back what I said, let Euro Disney take this one and keep it far from Epcot

On the plus side, the Ratatouille physical sets are impressive. Tall ceilings with huge oversized kitchen props going all the way up. They even look good with the lights on, based on a few pictures I've seen. Not a very good blending between the screens and the sets though.