Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disneyland Paris Resort

Disney do love a 'Hidden' Mickey.
Think this is the first time they have coevred a parking lot in solar panels too? Lets hope it makes the resort more profitable.

Yea this would be a no brainer for the WDW parks. Not only would it help with the energy, it would make your car not be 700000 degrees if you decide to leave in the middle of the day

Yea this would be a no brainer for the WDW parks. Not only would it help with the energy, it would make your car not be 700000 degrees if you decide to leave in the middle of the day

I'm just assuming that everybody in Orlando has one of these by now:

On a more serious note, as electric cars continue to increase sales, something like this is going to be essential to future parks if they can incorporate charging into the structure. The parks are charging 25 bucks a day, it's ridiculous how it's currently done.

Every parking lot that can should have some sort of shade/solar system. Even the elementary school, middle school in my hometown have them now, along with a high school five minutes down the highway.

EDIT: I suppose one of the primary issues for Disney is they have massive surface parking lots, but they might want to use that area in the future for park development. But if a school can erect them over a summer, I don't see why Disney can't dismantle and relocate them if needed.

I bet this has all to do with the European Union who wants to reduce Carbon emissions with 55% in 2030. There are incentives for comanies (and individuals) to do this. With Trump as president every positive effort that was made by Obama is killed off.

Even with the incentives, it is a huge spend upfront. For a public company with a mindset like Disney (eg. No spend unless it has an ROI), they won't build it. I don't believe that this is a Trump/Biden thing. It's more about cost allocation. The Cincinnati Zoo put in covered parking with solar panels. It's just a matter of where you want to spend. This is an enhancement to the guest experience and saving on electric. Plus, they did put in the solar plant. I don't know why they put it there instead of over the parking area where they had hardscape. Another thing is that maybe they don't want a ton of accidents from people hitting the support posts or running over people because it was darker underneath the canopy.

Even with the incentives, it is a huge spend upfront. For a public company with a mindset like Disney (eg. No spend unless it has an ROI), they won't build it. I don't believe that this is a Trump/Biden thing. It's more about cost allocation. The Cincinnati Zoo put in covered parking with solar panels. It's just a matter of where you want to spend. This is an enhancement to the guest experience and saving on electric. Plus, they did put in the solar plant. I don't know why they put it there instead of over the parking area where they had hardscape. Another thing is that maybe they don't want a ton of accidents from people hitting the support posts or running over people because it was darker underneath the canopy.
But if schools five years ago could do it, then I don't see how it would be much of an expense to Disney (unless costs increase exponentially due to the size of the concerned area but still).

Also I think concerns about it being 'darker' under the canopy would either be overstated or concern trolling. It's less obtrusive than going from outside into a parking lot. If people can't be trusted to drive under a shaded canopy, then they wouldn't be trusted to drive under trees, at night, to park, or to exhibit any basic maneuvering skills.

But if schools five years ago could do it, then I don't see how it would be much of an expense to Disney (unless costs increase exponentially due to the size of the concerned area but still).

Also I think concerns about it being 'darker' under the canopy would either be overstated or concern trolling. It's less obtrusive than going from outside into a parking lot. If people can't be trusted to drive under a shaded canopy, then they wouldn't be trusted to drive under trees, at night, to park, or to exhibit any basic maneuvering skills.

To be fair, I was trying to think of any reason why they wouldn't want it and, beyond cost, that was the only one I could come up with on short notice. Maybe hail damage from storms to the panels. I haven't found the panels at the zoo to be overly dark underneath and, with that nice free energy (after it is paid off), you can have some LED lights for everyone. Admittedly, it was a reach and not a risk that I myself would be concerned with. People negotiate parking garages without any issues, after all.

I'd rather have the left one in Florida due to the sun, but there are 2 options and both are equal regarding how much energy they produce.
It's kind of disturbing Disney touting to be green (AK), cutting a forest to "plant" solar panels and don't cover their parking lots in WDW.
1603436022799.png

Last edited:
So strange....I wonder why now? When they new film is coming out and I feel like Disney could let you redo the whole ride.

It looks fine but in no ways fixes the issues with the ride in my opinion, to me the ride needs an update like alice or Snow white is getting and feel like it was made within the last few years and not 50 years ago