Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Aladdin

2 concerns.

Lago’s Voice.
Genie’s Voice.

Both are beyond iconic and unique.

I have to think Lago won’t talk, which will ease that fear.

If Iago were to talk in the movie, I would think it will just be singular words and not complete sentences. Assuming they don't bring Gottfried back, the actor I want for him would be Paul Giamatti.

I got chills just seeing the Cave of Wonders. Can't wait!

This 2019 schedule is no joke:

Dumbo
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
The Lion King
Jungle Cruise
Frozen 2

Usually we're lucky if we get 2 of these size event films in a year.

I got chills just seeing the Cave of Wonders. Can't wait!

This 2019 schedule is no joke:

Dumbo
Aladdin
Toy Story 4
The Lion King
Jungle Cruise
Frozen 2

Usually we're lucky if we get 2 of these size event films in a year.

Not even mentioning others,

Episode IX (The finale to the Skywalker Saga)
Avengers 4 (The Finale to MCU Phase 3)
Artemis Fowl (The First of Disney Hyperion Adapatations)

It's a rather crazy year for Disney, which is saying a lot.

__

Back to Aladdin..I don't get the vibe that Iago will have a voice. If he is, they are keeping that from under the rug as of now (unintended Pun win).

Speaking of Hyperion adaptions, I really wish they would do a live action Peter and the Starcatchers.

9780786849079_p3_v4_s550x406.jpg

And I am looking forward to Aladdin. I think Smith will be great as Genie. More smart-a**, less manic. I think they'll let Smith be Smith like they let Williams be Williams. It will be different than the original, but they just can't try and redo Williams mostly impromptu performance.

Speaking of Hyperion adaptions, I really wish they would do a live action Peter and the Starcatchers.

9780786849079_p3_v4_s550x406.jpg

And I am looking forward to Aladdin. I think Smith will be great as Genie. More smart-a**, less manic. I think they'll let Smith be Smith like they let Williams be Williams. It will be different than the original, but they just can't try and redo Williams mostly impromptu performance.

they already did the musical based of the book but it wasn't good.

I'm still not looking forward for this. Guy Ritchie isn't that good of a director anymore and this will be focused grouped to death.

That play (with music) is wonderful. Whimsical and funny and touching. Saw it on Broadway and, more recently, a local production. It still stands up.

I’m satisfied with the play, but wouldn’t say no to a screen adaptation of Starcatcher either. Even better, order a full series for their new streaming platform. There are several books in that series, after all.

Also, I still haven’t decided if an adaptation of Kingdom Keepers is a good idea, or a very bad one.

Fun fact has been revealed...the writers of Disney animated films do not get paid royalties even if the new script is mostly theirs. So the original writers of Aladdin will not get paid for their work or get credit despite the script being over 40% of the original used previously.

Essentially, this film and all the live action remakes are saving Disney tons of money by allowing them larger shares of the back end, hints why they are being made.

"Aladdin" Scribe Not A Fan Of Remake - Dark Horizons

I'll be in the minority here. I hate the remakes. The original cartoons were basically classics that stood on their own. If they were going to make a live-action movie, base it on more of the source material and develop new music. Part of the problem is that I find myself comparing the live version to the classics and, when the voices don't align with how I think the character should sound, I become disinterested.

No matter how good Will Smith (and I genuinely like his movies), he cannot replicate Robin Williams. Still, I'll probably Netflix it when it comes out. I've split on how to view these movies. I saw Cinderella, Jungle Book, and BaTB in the movies. Each time, I walked out going "meh". I did like Maleficent and thought that the visuals were excellent. However, it wasn't just rehashing the old cartoon but changing the story completely.

My biggest problem is that these remakes often have so much CGI, I'm having trouble seeing how they're supposed to be "live-action."

Not even mentioning others,

Episode IX (The finale to the Skywalker Saga)
Avengers 4 (The Finale to MCU Phase 3)
Artemis Fowl (The First of Disney Hyperion Adapatations)

It's a rather crazy year for Disney, which is saying a lot.

__

Back to Aladdin..I don't get the vibe that Iago will have a voice. If he is, they are keeping that from under the rug as of now (unintended Pun win).
This seems strange. That’s twice as many movies as Disney puts out in a typical year. There’s diminishing returns to pumping out more event movies every year. People will triage which to watch. Most already do.

This seems strange. That’s twice as many movies as Disney puts out in a typical year. There’s diminishing returns to pumping out more event movies every year. People will triage which to watch. Most already do.

So-far, they seem..a bit more spaced.

March
- Captain Marvel (3.8.19)
- Dumbo (3.29.19

April
- Disneynature Penguins (4.19.19)

May
- Avengers 4 (5.3.19 [as of now])
- Aladdin (5.25.19)

June
- Toy Story 4 (6.14,19)

July
- Spider-Man: Far From Home {Sony Distributed} (7.5.19)
- The Lion King (7.19.19)

August
- Artemis Fowl (8.9.19)

October
- Jungle Cruise (10.11.19)

November
- Frozen 2 (11.27.19)

December
- Episode IX (12.20.19)

If you want to include Fox for Marvel, the only possible concern lies towards Dark Phoenix due to Toy Story..that said, I think we be detracting from talk on Aladdin.

Welp. I'm out.

I finally watched the live-action BatB last weekend and was honestly offended at how "lifeless" the whole thing felt. These stills aren't instilling any confidence that this will be much better...

I mean, on a certain level, we all know that trying to faithfully reproduce the animated version of the character in live action would probably not work. But, at least based on these initial images, they seem to have gone completely in the other direction and made him, basically, just a guy.

It's obviously possible there will be elements of the character and his appearance that will be more overtly magical in the final film, but to lead off with these looks at him is an interesting marketing decision.