1. Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Make sure to sign up and join the community! It's fast, free, and easy! DO IT!

Disney's Current Approach to Theme Parks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Disney' started by belloq87, Jan 4, 2019.

1. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

The middle ground between light and shadow...
    I know specific little details of this are being discussed elsewhere, but Bob Iger had some quite illuminating things to say about how he feels about theme parks in a broad sense, and I think it's worth considering in the larger context of what Disney is doing with its theme parks...

Disney’s Bob Iger Talks Streaming, Park Plans, and Learning From Kodak - Barron's

To his credit (sort of), I think he very clearly and openly spells out his approach to the parks (and it's something we've been able to surmise for a while). Under the remainder of his regime, any new attractions are to feature IP, and any older attractions that don't feature IP are, essentially, second-rate and generic. What he indirectly says about Expedition Everest, in particular, is actually kind of infuriating.

Needless to say, I think this mindset is catastrophically wrong-headed for the creative future of the parks, but I think this is a subject worth talking about, even on these Uni-centric boards. As someone who loves both resorts, I'm deeply troubled by this mentality.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2019
  2. AlexanderMBush

AlexanderMBush Legendary Member

It seems to me, that they will try to invest into things that would potentially bring the most amount of profit into the park's, but what they aren't accounting for in the larger projects; is the outcomes of fast-tracking with bloated budgets.

Pixar Pier & Toy Story Land notably come to mind real quick for just 2018 alone.

tankart150 likes this.
  3. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

That's an interesting point. I think there are certainly projects (with bloated budgets or not) that they believe they have to nail, creatively (Pandora and Galaxy's Edge), but I also feel there are projects where they think they can just coast on the IP value without really going the extra mile (while still spending a ton of money).

twebber55 likes this.
  4. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

This quote should send Disney fans into a meltdown

tankart150 and Frogki like this.
  5. belloq87

belloq87 Veteran Member

It has.

Justifiably.

6. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

I appreciate Iger's honesty, but I'm also shocked he came out with it - considering how sensitive he knows the Disney fanbase is with certain elements.

I'll post more when it's not 1am. :lol:

7. bob albert

bob albert Veteran Member

Meh nothing really surprising there.

8. Brian G.

Brian G. Staff Member Administrator

The quotes aren't surprising, it's the admitting it.

Fallow, truejonas, SeventyOne and 3 others like this.
  9. mainejeff

mainejeff Rookie

I'm surprised that Disney hasn't made an Expedition Everest movie yet.....that could cure Iger's ill will toward the "generic" ride.

10. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

I find it all pretty hilarious. You can also thank the successes Harry Potter and UOR for this IP heavy theme park plan.

The chances of Disney making a “non-IP” driven ride or land are slim to none. Those days are over.

11. mainejeff

mainejeff Rookie

That might be true but the words "shelf life" come into play with these new IP attractions. Hope they plan on spending more $$$ in the future to replace attractions because what's hot today won't be hot tomorrow.

truejonas, SeventyOne and tankart150 like this.
  12. rhino4evr

rhino4evr Veteran Member

They just opened an entire land to an IP no one really cares about. Lol.

13. mainejeff

mainejeff Rookie

Yes, they did. And I'm as shocked at anyone as to how awesome it is. They lucked out with that one. It won't always be the case though.

JM-BENT, truejonas and tankart150 like this.
  14. twebber55

twebber55 Veteran Member

i think for the most part he doesnt care what the online community thinks
    sometimes a good thing

RevFreako likes this.
  15. Nick

Nick Staff Member Moderator

I’m surprised he’d come out with that quote about Everest, but other than that, about what I expect.

16. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

This could be me reading too much into it, but I feel Universal/Comcast has really shaken up the way Iger thinks about the parks....For good or for bad, its gotten them to get moving

The comment about Everest is probably justified as it was overhyped from the beginning....Actually, he could have made that comment about Animal Kingdom as a whole

Mad Dog likes this.
  17. Nick

DAK is probably the best themed park in Florida (although Dino-Rama May put it behind IOA). The only thing holding it back is the need for more rides.

18. Joe

Joe aka TestTrack321 Staff Member Moderator

I think the quote isn't really what he means. Here's why.

The whole quote requires added context added by the writer to lead us to think he's talking about Expedition Everest. I think he's talking about a generic coaster and the choice of India was poor as it lined up with an offering the parks had already*. So yes the MO from here on out is exactly what we think it'll be: character based additions to ground the parks. Problem is it's the non-movie or TV show based attractions that also receive such praise and waits to this day, like BTMR, HM, Space, Soarin, and more.

*This also says a lot about how he views the park if one of the headliner attractions in a park that just received $1bn in investments.

19. Nick

I just wish they would give Space Mountain the love it deserves. Hopefully after Tron opens.

tankart150 and therock like this.
  20. shiekra38

shiekra38 Veteran Member

I feel he is in the headspace that if you're coming to Disney or Universal you're expecting to be immersed in IP driven lands...Where as certain other parks from around the world can create their own stories from scratch...That's how I read it anyway

@Nick I appreciate the theming and ideas for Animal Kingdom, I feel it could use a more diverse line up of attractions...It could be the best Disney park if they expanded it even more...For me it's still behind Magic Kingdom and yes, even Epcot