Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion)

People still call it MGM studios, change it again and we won't have a clue what movie related theme park people are going too.

Its a shame they didn't pick Hollywood Adventure when they dropped MGM branding.

I have to think after Disney gets a look at the HP coaster over at IoA, that we will soon see an answer to that from Disney a la Cars/Pandora : Hogsmeade.

What Disney franchise would be better than Indiana Jones for a coaster in the vein of what we believe the HP coaster will be. It'd be a perfect fit.

It was a name that was under consideration for quite awhile when they were thinking of changing the name.

To be fair, it was the best option out of a garbage list, at least based on what was made public.

The entrance pictured above is the old main entrance to DHS when the park first opened. Now it will be a Cast Member only entrance. The other existing entrance will become a bus only entrance.

The new entrance is as seen here:

They really posted that as if it was newsworthy?

Wow. Universal's social media team should be ashamed of themselves. They've rerouted the entrance so many times over the years... and no one knew.

They really posted that as if it was newsworthy?

Wow. Universal's social media team should be ashamed of themselves. They've rerouted the entrance so many times over the years... and no one knew.
I mean, when the two existing entrances are there one day and gone the next for a completely new entrance in a different place, I think it's important to make sure people know, especially with as sprawling of a property as WDW is. GPS systems won't have updated overnight.

I wonder why they haven't taken the opportunity to build parking garages and free up more space for future expansion?
The expanded parking lot goes right up to the back of Indy/Star tours and I would have thought that would be the next expansion plot.

I wonder why they haven't taken the opportunity to build parking garages and free up more space for future expansion?
The expanded parking lot goes right up to the back of Indy/Star tours and I would have thought that would be the next expansion plot.
They haven't closed themselves in from future expansion at all... that's actually why they went against the parking garages for the moment. Much of the parking lot is actually considered park expansion.

Think of it this way: Asphalt can be dug up quickly for a park expansion, but Parking garages are a serious commitment. You have to be 100% sure that you are ok with those things being where you're going to put them for a LONG time to come. Those aren't cheap to maintain nor are they cheap to demolish. Not building a parking garage left them much more open to expansion than actually building one for now.

I mean, when the two existing entrances are there one day and gone the next for a completely new entrance in a different place, I think it's important to make sure people know, especially with as sprawling of a property as WDW is. GPS systems won't have updated overnight.

I'd love to know the percentage of guests you think are checking the Disney Parks Twitter for information related to their upcoming vacation.

Or.. they can you know.. just follow the signs.

I'd love to know the percentage of guests you think are checking the Disney Parks Twitter for information related to their upcoming vacation.

Or.. they can you know.. just follow the signs.
...a blog post isn’t hurting anyone and only potentially is informing. No need to make it into a bigger deal than it is.

Does anybody know what they plan on doing with the old entrance/toll booth area? Seems like they could put several cast member buildings back there just like they moved the costume building over there. Could free up much needed space elsewhere in the park.

While I was never a fan of the old parking lot, the new system is somehow worse. Much more driving too and from, then after you park, the tram still leaves you a good 5-minute walk from the entrance. Not sure why they bothered running it, only took us a couple hundred yards. Meanwhile, the park's one and only exit remains a mish-mash of four lanes headed in three separate directions. Still a fan of the Christmas decor--this year even better than last year--but not inclined to visit very often in December if I have to deal with that lot.

While I was never a fan of the old parking lot, the new system is somehow worse. Much more driving too and from, then after you park, the tram still leaves you a good 5-minute walk from the entrance. Not sure why they bothered running it, only took us a couple hundred yards. Meanwhile, the park's one and only exit remains a mish-mash of four lanes headed in three separate directions. Still a fan of the Christmas decor--this year even better than last year--but not inclined to visit very often in December if I have to deal with that lot.
It's definitely still very much a mess, I mean work in progress. Once the new tram drop-off loop is complete hopefully it will be better. For now, it's still a painful walk of death to start your day, and not a great way to kick off the day.