Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion) | Page 101 | Inside Universal Forums

Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion)

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.
I don't know how many of you have been to Disneyland Paris but they have a pretty fun Indy roller coaster that has flips. I rode it like 3 times when I was there. That would be a cool addition if they made a full land for Indy.

I don't know how many of you have been to Disneyland Paris but they have a pretty fun Indy roller coaster that has flips. I rode it like 3 times when I was there. That would be a cool addition if they made a full land for Indy.

I think something basically in that style, and heavily themed, could be a fun addition. I think having inversions would put it in a higher thrill category than I'd like, but the basic idea could work fine.

On a more grandiose scale, I'd still love to see a version of the mine cart chase sequence from TEMPLE OF DOOM get developed as a coaster, but I think it would require an absolutely gigantic showbuilding to really do it right.

Just to give you guys a look at where DHS is at right now regarding wait times, I walked into the park at 6:45 with a 9:30 close. Here were wait times of what I waited for:

TSMM: 15 mins (8:00)
ToT: 2x Walk-on (9:30)
RNRC: Walk-on (9:10)
Star Tours: 5 mins with FP+ (7:20)
Star-Lord M&G: 10 mins (8:30)

Now I know my experience isn't most people's, I didn't do the shows, went in last few park hours, etc. HOWEVER, it does show how dead this park is. Yes it rained tonight which helped a bit, but I was able to ride 4 of the 5 rides in the park, do a M&G, see the projection show and catch the fireworks while walking out.

The park is truly a joke in its current incarnation and it's only going to get worse before even TSL opens if they go forward with closing GMR this fall.

Just to give you guys a look at where DHS is at right now regarding wait times, I walked into the park at 6:45 with a 9:30 close. Here were wait times of what I waited for:

Now I know my experience isn't most people's, I didn't do the shows, went in last few park hours, etc. HOWEVER, it does show how dead this park is. Yes it rained tonight which helped a bit, but I was able to ride 4 of the 5 rides in the park, do a M&G, see the projection show and catch the fireworks while walking out.

The park is truly a joke in its current incarnation and it's only going to get worse before even TSL opens if they go forward with closing GMR this fall.
I'll echo that. Was there in May. Late afternoon Star Tours 2 had Stand By listed at something like 40 minutes. I would never wait that long for a ride but I noticed there was no one in the outside queue or in the indoor queue that I could see from my vantage point. We did three straight walk ons onto the ride. Half empty or more ride for all three. Nary a person in the queue. And it was a beautiful sunny day.

I think this also starts to confirm that if Pandora is pulling guests from anywhere, it's DHS.

DHS still SEEMS packed, but I believe much of that to be due to the lack of attractions and space in the park...it's considerably smaller than Animal Kingdom and Epcot, and has nowhere near the capacity of the Magic Kingdom.
I think their plan to just open Toy Story Land before Star Wars is a big mistake. They need A LOT more to do. This park is going to become a nightmare in 2019.

Quick armchair Imagineering. If we roughly consider Toy Story Land and Star Wars Land to be a “Phase One” of Hollywood Studios being “overhauled,” this is what a hypothetical "Phase Two" should look like, in my opinion.

I think the park would be in fantastic shape after all that. Most of it is unlikely to happen, however!

For Animation Courtyard, the Mickey E-ticket and a new version of Toontown (C-ticket Fantasyland-style dark ride, unique flat ride, Mickey/Minnie M&G, kiddie coaster) could be the bridge between it and Sunset. I'm not too particular on what goes into Mermaid or Disney Junior.

Love the Muppets idea. Essentially a smaller variant of the Springfield expansions. However, I'd retheme Star Tours to Pigs in Space and make a new Muppet-centric film for the Muppet Theater (no more Waldo!).

The Indiana Jones mini-land could be great! An E-ticket boat ride and a family coaster themed to Temple of Doom would be a much better use of the space.

For Sunset, the B&TB replacement could be something like Music of Pixar, but featuring classic film songs/scores (Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, Mary Poppins, Casablanca, Breakfast at Tiffany's, West Side Story, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, Fantasia, Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Swing Time/Top Hat). I'm pretty sure Disney has the theme park rights to all except Breakfast at Tiffany's and Sound of Music.

I'd also say a gangster dark ride could be a fun, less intense option for those not wanting to ride ToT or RnRC. I'd also change RnRC's soundtrack to be jazz/big band music so it could actually fit the 1930s/1940s vibe.

Of course, TDO wouldn't implement any of the ideas except maybe Mama Melrose's getting a Muppet theme and a Shanghai Pirates-style E-ticket themed to Indy.

For Animation Courtyard, the Mickey E-ticket and a new version of Toontown (C-ticket Fantasyland-style dark ride, unique flat ride, Mickey/Minnie M&G, kiddie coaster) could be the bridge between it and Sunset. I'm not too particular on what goes into Mermaid or Disney Junior.

I'd honestly love to see a clone of Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin come to that area as the C-ticket option. If the exterior was themed really well (to, say, Maroon Studios or the Acme factory), I think it could act as a great transition between the revamped Animation area and Sunset. Unfortunately, I don't think Disney sees much value in Roger anymore.

For Sunset, the B&TB replacement could be something like Music of Pixar, but featuring classic film songs/scores (Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, Mary Poppins, Casablanca, Breakfast at Tiffany's, West Side Story, My Fair Lady, The Sound of Music, Fantasia, Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Swing Time/Top Hat). I'm pretty sure Disney has the theme park rights to all except Breakfast at Tiffany's and Sound of Music.

I really like this idea. I don't think there's any way Disney would sacrifice a character-centric show for it, but it would be great if they could find a venue for something like this.

Reactions: Mr. EPCOT
I'd honestly love to see a clone of Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin come to that area as the C-ticket option. If the exterior was themed really well (to, say, Maroon Studios or the Acme factory), I think it could act as a great transition between the revamped Animation area and Sunset. Unfortunately, I don't think Disney sees much value in Roger anymore
Did you know this was originally planned for MGM? It was put off a year to speed up opening but Roger Rabbit popularity dropped off so they scrapped it. The cafe and gift shop by the production tour was themed as ACME warehouse and even had the original dip mobile and steamroller from the film on display.

I'd honestly love to see a clone of Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin come to that area as the C-ticket option. If the exterior was themed really well (to, say, Maroon Studios or the Acme factory), I think it could act as a great transition between the revamped Animation area and Sunset. Unfortunately, I don't think Disney sees much value in Roger anymore.
Totally on board with the Roger Rabbit idea. That is exactly the type of ride that MGM needs. Plus it's just a fantastic attraction.

Reactions: belloq87
I'm honestly not thinking DHS will get anything besides SWL and TSL. Disney's already planning on spending a ton of money in DHS. Instead of building too much in DHS, I think Epcot will be getting rides instead.

Reactions: Alicia
I'm honestly not thinking DHS will get anything besides SWL and TSL. Disney's already planning on spending a ton of money in DHS. Instead of building too much in DHS, I think Epcot will be getting rides instead.
There's between 2-4 unannounced projects for DHS.

Did you know this was originally planned for MGM? It was put off a year to speed up opening but Roger Rabbit popularity dropped off so they scrapped it. The cafe and gift shop by the production tour was themed as ACME warehouse and even had the original dip mobile and steamroller from the film on display.

I was aware of several Roger Rabbit ride proposals for the park, but not that Car Toon Spin was among them!

Forever heartbroken that Roger Rabbit's Hollywood/Maroon Studios never happened.