Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Hollywood Studios (General Discussion)

I would love an Incredibles dark ride. I never thought Disney would ever demolish a coaster, but the parks are going to have a lot of coasters by the 50th. I think Disney could lose this coaster and keep the parks balanced.
I don't think they have to lose the coaster to gain a dark ride. Plenty of expansion land to the left of RNRC. Would just have to shuffle backstage areas.

FWIW, the CM cafeteria between Sunset Blvd. and Animation courtyard is slated to receive upgrades soon. Obviously, plans can change, but it seems they expect that backstage to remain as is for a time.

FWIW, the CM cafeteria between Sunset Blvd. and Animation courtyard is slated to receive upgrades soon. Obviously, plans can change, but it seems they expect that backstage to remain as is for a time.
I think it will eventually happen (it will be necessary for park expansion) but probably not for awhile still.

I would think the next big project will be around the Echo Lake area.

I read today that Disney’s rights for Aerosmith are about to expire. Will they renew it, or retheme it to maybe an incredibles coaster, monsters ink, a Pixar property or maybe a new acquired property from Fox?

I read today that Disney’s rights for Aerosmith are about to expire. Will they renew it, or retheme it to maybe an incredibles coaster, monsters ink, a Pixar property or maybe a new acquired property from Fox?
This year the contract is in its 20th year, so it certainly stands to reason that it’ll expire this year.

I’m expecting something Cars or Incredibles, but this seems like something we’ll hear about at D23.

This year the contract is in its 20th year, so it certainly stands to reason that it’ll expire this year.

I’m expecting something Cars or Incredibles, but this seems like something we’ll hear about at D23.
If they didn't do an indoor Incredicoaster, I could see it remaining Rock 'n Rollercoaster, but without any specific band attached and just randomized music they can afford or have the rights to. Nothing fancy, just a stripping of all Aerosmith overnight to hold them over until a few years pass and they can actually close it to re-do it completely.

Or, they get a temporary contract extension through 2022, and hope Steven Tyler remains in good health.

Planet of the Apes Coaster is my guess ;)

When is the entrance supposed to be done? That’s a hot mess.

It’s amazing to me how Disney could handle a giant expansion so well (Avatar) by preparing the Animal Kingdom two years in advance for it with wider walkways, new restaurants and bars, new nighttime shows, nighttime safari, the list goes on and on. It was stress free and the park handled the larger crowds wonderfully.

Then there’s DHS. It’s like they forgot they were having a giant expansion. It’s a freakin’ mess and they’re pushing everything to the time limit here. It’s truly unbelievable.

Planet of the Apes Coaster is my guess ;)

It’s amazing to me how Disney could handle a giant expansion so well (Avatar) by preparing the Animal Kingdom two years in advance for it with wider walkways, new restaurants and bars, new nighttime shows, nighttime safari, the list goes on and on. It was stress free and the park handled the larger crowds wonderfully.

Then there’s DHS. It’s like they forgot they were having a giant expansion. It’s a freakin’ mess and they’re pushing everything to the time limit here. It’s truly unbelievable.
Yes, the GESWL opening almost looks like it was totally 'unplanned'.

Looks like the tram drop-off will be opening within a matter of weeks, but then the current security area will go behind walls so they can finish the final portion of the project, which is to extend the new security structure all the way across the walkway no matter where you enter from.

I agree, but DHS is also a very oddly designed theme park. There are a few projects inside the park going on to widen walkways currently, but tbh, DHS doesn't have a ton of space in most areas to actually expand their walkways. I'd argue the park is in worse shape than Disneyland when it comes to available space for widened walkways. My personal opinion is that the Frozen/Sounds Dangerous building complex needs to be razed and just put some landscaping in there and let it stay nice and open. The alley where ABC Commissary is located is extremely tight because of those buildings.

So essentially, they're potentially planning to do a trackless, media-based, flex-attraction; that can go under with it coming back up in the short span of a week or two, that can be changed to suit the IP.

So it'd be a larger scale use of the concept of Flex-Venues, but for attractions.

That's... actually incredible. A major theme park getting a "new" attraction every few months based on the new popular flavor (IP) of the week just sounds awesome and if true, I think that this could very well be where the theme park industry is going next.

That's... actually incredible. A major theme park getting a "new" attraction every few months based on the new popular flavor (IP) of the week just sounds awesome and if true, I think that this could very well be where the theme park industry is going next.

We've all heard this before. They'll claim it can be changed within days and will be switched up constantly. 8 years will pass without anything changing.

So essentially, they're potentially planning to do a trackless, media-based, flex-attraction; that can go under with it coming back up in the short span of a week or two, that can be changed to suit the IP.

So it'd be a larger scale use of the concept of Flex-Venues, but for attractions.

I wonder when theme parks still stop chasing this white whale.

Everybody underestimates how much it costs to create the new content for their black box (very expensive!) and there's basically no ROI to switching out the show. How many times has Disney added new content to Star Tours or Midway Mania (hint: not as much as they said they would)?

Best case this becomes some kind of advertising vehicle for whatever blockbuster is coming out next.

I wonder when theme parks still stop chasing this white whale.

Everybody underestimates how much it costs to create the new content for their black box (very expensive!) and there's basically no ROI to switching out the show. How many times has Disney added new content to Star Tours or Midway Mania (hint: not as much as they said they would)?

Best case this becomes some kind of advertising vehicle for whatever blockbuster is coming out next.

Honestly, I think it's a good idea to bring up that Universal also has this in many ways.

They use Osaka quite often as an example, with their 4D Theater, Space Fantasy, and Terminator 2 complexes to be converted for the sake of attractions that take periods of months. Now, it's not as lavish as say, this potential Black Box concept; but I don't see it as..an impossibility as some may think.

And if I'm not mistaken, those have mentioned who were at USH during the time of the project, that Dreamworks Theater is designed with the intent of changing it up for new IP's to come in.

__

I think what's going to happen in this case, is more to the Osaka 4D theater than anything else, where they could potentially have two rides that switch over the course of the day (so say, an animated property in the morning, cut then halfway through operations with a live action property for the rest of operational hours).

Honestly, I think it's a good idea to bring up that Universal also has this in many ways.

They use Osaka quite often as an example, with their 4D Theater, Space Fantasy, and Terminator 2 complexes to be converted for the sake of attractions that take periods of months. Now, it's not as lavish as say, this potential Black Box concept; but I don't see it as..an impossibility as some may think.

And if I'm not mistaken, those have mentioned who were at USH during the time of the project, that Dreamworks Theater is designed with the intent of changing it up for new IP's to come in.

__

I think what's going to happen in this case, is more to the Osaka 4D theater than anything else, where they could potentially have two rides that switch over the course of the day (so say, an animated property in the morning, cut then halfway through operations with a live action property for the rest of operational hours).
Osaka is a really interesting comparison.

I've always assumed that it's a locals vs. tourists divide. The Japan parks seem to be very locals-driven, so there's a need for new / seasonal things to keep people coming back. USH seems to be similar as LA is the largest metro area in the country.

Disney World is much more tourist driven, which is usually the excuse why Disney doesn't do seasonal overlays. Unless Disney decides that Disney World needs to attract locals more, I don't see them having the incentives to change what's inside this ride.

Now, changing the ride up every night for a nightly party... that's an interesting idea.

Osaka is a really interesting comparison.

I've always assumed that it's a locals vs. tourists divide. The Japan parks seem to be very locals-driven, so there's a need for new / seasonal things to keep people coming back. USH seems to be similar as LA is the largest metro area in the country.

Disney World is much more tourist driven, which is usually the excuse why Disney doesn't do seasonal overlays. Unless Disney decides that Disney World needs to attract locals more, I don't see them having the incentives to change what's inside this ride.

Now, changing the ride up every night for a nightly party... that's an interesting idea.

I'd argue that if we really want to see an Asian Universal park be the "local", it's Singapore unfortunately.

Since Comcast's purchase of the Osaka park, they've been investing a lot into that park; and are aiming to have the first major round of SNW begin, right as the Tokyo Olympics come in. I do agree a lot of it is, Local. But I do think they're also touristic in many ways (but that also comes down to how they handle special events in the first half of the year).

With the potential of the Black Box, it could be a way for Disney to get people away from Galaxy's Edge during both the day and evening periods.

It might also be an easy way for them to add something for 2021, that automatically resorts to it being something that they know would be profitable.

bUt ThE sCrEeNz

lol just kidding it only applies to Universal.