Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Disney's Mulan (2020)

So..let's talk about Mulan, shall we?

With the COVID-19 affecting China, it's seeming incredibly possible that Mulan may not even be released in China--amidst's the COVID-19 effectively ceasing operations of the entirety of China's film theaters.

With Mulan releasing in less than a month--amidst's the slew of controversy that has been coming to Disney..what do you think will happen with the film? It seems fated to bomb heavily, regardless of the film's quality, due to reasons both that could've been controlled, and out of control.

So..let's talk about Mulan, shall we?

With the COVID-19 affecting China, it's seeming incredibly possible that Mulan may not even be released in China--amidst's the COVID-19 effectively ceasing operations of the entirety of China's film theaters.

With Mulan releasing in less than a month--amidst's the slew of controversy that has been coming to Disney..what do you think will happen with the film? It seems fated to bomb heavily, regardless of the film's quality, due to reasons both that could've been controlled, and out of control.
Disney can release Mulan a year from now in China if they have to wait (or do a Chinese re-release). I really don’t think this will be as big of a problem as it’s being made out as once as is said and done.

Theatres will close next week, with A Quiet Place and these films not playing they’ll be nothing to show
Either that or Onward is gonna have a really long run of being the only thing to see lol. Definitely won't surprise me if theaters shut down at this point. Nothing will surprise me at this point.
My wife and I were just discussing this very subject because she is in the movie theater business for a major national chain. Lately business has dropped off dramatically with less than 100 people coming all day. It’s inevitable that theaters will close as well, just a matter of when IMO.

It's time we just started boycotting China in general. The only way they will change is if the world comes together against them.
The West allowed China into the world Banking System theorizing that China would change her ways and become a responsible nation, as Germany & Japan did after WWII economic assistance. If China was not assisted by the world banks , she would have remained a backward third world country. There was some progress being made towards that end, though China remained protectionist in business practices and a maverick in stealing IP & technology. But then, it became worse about eight years ago when China took a path backwards with Xi's ascension to power and the return of hardcore Central Party rule at the expense of the influential business people in the country. China has, for the past eight years, been considered by the American Intelligence community to be the largest threat to USA security.

The West allowed China into the world Banking System theorizing that China would change her ways and become a responsible nation, as Germany & Japan did after WWII economic assistance. If China was not assisted by the world banks , she would have remained a backward third world country. There was some progress being made towards that end, though China remained protectionist in business practices and a maverick in stealing IP & technology. But then, it became worse about eight years ago when China took a path backwards with Xi's ascension to power and the return of hardcore Central Party rule at the expense of the influential business people in the country. China has, for the past eight years, been considered by the American Intelligence community to be the largest threat to USA security.

But the inteligence community think Russia is fine though?!? :shrug: Putin is on his way to being president for life just like Xi.

We are now at a point where I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one day and find that China has invaded India or all the smaller asian countries around the South China sea.

With all this push back against the leading actress in Mulan, maybe Disney should just sit on this movie a couple of years.

But the inteligence community think Russia is fine though?!? :shrug: Putin is on his way to being president for life just like Xi.

We are now at a point where I wouldn't be surprised to wake up one day and find that China has invaded India or all the smaller asian countries around the South China sea.

With all this push back against the leading actress in Mulan, maybe Disney should just sit on this movie a couple of years.
The general intelligence community consensus, dating back eight years, also has had Russia listed as a threat 'militarily', mostly due to their nuclear capability,. But due to Russia's very weak economy, they are not considered an economic and supply system threat also, whereas China is. Russia economically, is almost third world status.

My wife and I were just discussing this very subject because she is in the movie theater business for a major national chain. Lately business has dropped off dramatically with less than 100 people coming all day. It’s inevitable that theaters will close as well, just a matter of when IMO.
I hope everything is ok with you and your wife re: her job. :toast:

I hope everything is ok with you and your wife re: her job. :toast:
Thanks for asking, everything is good I have been back to work since May (pool business never shut down, but I started late because of an injury.) The theaters shut down shortly after I posted that message and she got furloughed. She is also eligible for unemployment and the extra $600 so that’s been helping a lot. Her job is guaranteed when they do reopen so that’s nice.

Why would Disney advertise the date that Mulan is going on D+ included with subscription? Who’s going to pay $30 knowing it will be included at no extra charge on December 4th?

Strange, the date doesn't appear on my page. Still going to end up on Disney+ for free anyways, whether that's three months or a year from now.

Capture.JPG

Strange, the date doesn't appear on my page. Still going to end up on Disney+ for free anyways, whether that's three months or a year from now.

View attachment 13124
The screenshot in the tweet shows the UK Price, so i'm assuming maybe it's showing internationally?

EDIT: Now i'm not sure. This is what I see using my VPN for the UK:
sCZ7NPS.jpg

Last edited:
So the Premium Access period for Mulan is now confirmed to end on November 2nd on Disney+. It will be coming to Disney+ included with membership on December 4th as noted above. I'm assuming they are going to use the month window between Premium Access ending and the movie going up on Disney+ for everyone to try to capitalize on the Holiday shopping crowd and put the movie out to own on Blu-Ray, itunes, etc.

It will be REAL interesting how much Disney reports Mulan to have made whenever they do. I'd assume if numbers are good, they'd put out a hype release after this weekend, if numbers are sub-par, they may just wait until the next quarterly earnings call to report any numbers. I had very little interest before, but now that I know that it'll be up and on Disney+ shortly after Thanksgiving? Absolutely no interest.