Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dolittle (2019 film)

It all depends on International markets (mostly China), which I think will save it from being a bomb.

It'll probably break even.

It all depends on International markets (mostly China), which I think will save it from being a bomb.

It'll probably break even.
I’m not even sure of that. The film cost $175M to make and then you have to add in marketing costs, which will normally be around half (or more) of of the film budget. This movie has to make at least $250M to even think of being in the black, so it’d be optimal if it made in $300M+ WW.

Even with China taken into account, I see this movie as doomed from the start.

No doubt about it, he has the talent but he hasn’t found a good project to showcase in a while.

With the vast sum of money he has made, he’s entitled to make passion projects like this but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be an enjoyable film. He needs to team up with a talented director.

The issue is he did get a great director, a two time oscar winning director....however Stephen Gaghan didn't understand animation at all which lead to a lot of reshoots because he didn't get things properly shot as well as the comedy wasn't coming through.

I’m not even sure of that. The film cost $175M to make and then you have to add in marketing costs, which will normally be around half (or more) of of the film budget. This movie has to make at least $250M to even think of being in the black, so it’d be optimal if it made in $300M+ WW.

Even with China taken into account, I see this movie as doomed from the start.

I guess we'll see. Big names attached. Family film. No real competition. It has the chance to leg out a decent run IF reviews are decent.

I guess we'll see. Big names attached. Family film. No real competition. It has the chance to leg out a decent run IF reviews are decent.
It may not have much competition, but that won’t matter too much if it opens at $28M as is currently being projected. The only thing to help it that weekend is that Monday is MLK day, so it’ll have a 4-day weekend.

He’s entitled to, but for how long? If this film flops in a big way (which seems likely considering the budget), no studio is gonna want to just make a movie for the sake of making a movie because RDJ wanted to. Just because he’s listed as a producer doesn’t mean the studio doesn’t lose money.

Until he realises that it’s detrimental to his career?

Until he realises that it’s detrimental to his career?
I think he's going through a weird phase right now. After being Tony Stark/Iron Man for 11 years, he's now looking to prove he can be successful outside of the MCU again. Chris Evans already has done this with Knives Out, Mark Ruffalo was great in Dark Waters and ScarJo put together a case for best leading female and supporting female this year with her performances in Marriage Story and Jojo Rabbit.

Dolittle was the film RDJ had lined up post-Endgame and if this was his pet project, then more power to him. But production issues lead to an inflated budget and what looks to be a fairly mediocre movie. Then all of that led to a January release date - a death sentence for any wide release movie that isn't nominated for awards. I also realized it's not a guarantee that this movie even releases in China. Isn't there a 20 film limit per year that China can release that aren't Chinese domestic films? The Chinese government chooses which films release there and this one may not make the cut.

It can be jarring going from incredible stability for so long to now having to once again prove yourself to Hollywood.

I think he's going through a weird phase right now. After being Tony Stark/Iron Man for 11 years, he's now looking to prove he can be successful outside of the MCU again. Chris Evans already has done this with Knives Out, Mark Ruffalo was great in Dark Waters and ScarJo put together a case for best leading female and supporting female this year with her performances in Marriage Story and Jojo Rabbit.

Dolittle was the film RDJ had lined up post-Endgame and if this was his pet project, then more power to him. But production issues lead to an inflated budget and what looks to be a fairly mediocre movie. Then all of that led to a January release date - a death sentence for any wide release movie that isn't nominated for awards. I also realized it's not a guarantee that this movie even releases in China. Isn't there a 20 film limit per year that China can release that aren't Chinese domestic films? The Chinese government chooses which films release there and this one may not make the cut.

It can be jarring going from incredible stability for so long to now having to once again prove yourself to Hollywood.
RDJ is 54 years old with a net worth of over $300 million. I would count that as incredible security. He never has to work another day in his life.

RDJ is 54 years old with a net worth of over $300 million. I would count that as incredible security. He never has to work another day in his life.
I'm not talking about "secure" in terms of monetary standards. Obviously he's loaded. But if this movie were to fail and say, Sherlock Holmes 3 under-performs, then why would he be a desirable person to put in your movie? As you said, he's only 54. I'm sure he doesn't want to retire now just because he's got a lot of money.

Life isn't all about money, it's about living it, too. And i'm sure he doesn't want to fall back into addiction, either.

From blacklisted to black face to national treasure.

Usually, it tends to go in the opposite direction.
It's amazing Tropic Thunder actually got released and RDJ got nominated for an Oscar for it. Really shows the difference between 2008 and 2020 in terms of what is socially acceptable. A white man playing a black man with an iconic line of "Never go full retard"? That would never get approved to even be made in today's world.

It's amazing Tropic Thunder actually got released and RDJ got nominated for an Oscar for it. Really shows the difference between 2008 and 2020 in terms of what is socially acceptable. A white man playing a black man with an iconic line of "Never go full retard"? That would never get approved to even be made in today's world.

It was very controversial at the time. After people saw the film the critics of the film saw that the film was taking a swipe at Hollywood for using mental handicaps (ie: Rainman, Gilbert Grape) and race (ie: any John Wayne movie) as platforms for exploitation. It was actually a very smart and funny film.

It was very controversial at the time. After people saw the film the critics of the film saw that the film was taking a swipe at Hollywood for using mental handicaps (ie: Rainman, Gilbert Grape) and race (ie: any John Wayne movie) as platforms for exploitation. It was actually a very smart and funny film.
I've seen it. That doesn't change the fact that this film was extremely risky and boundary pushing (which is something filmmakers love to do), however the point was it would never get a release today. Although with Jojo Rabbit, I guess there is still some hope for boundary pushing films.

I NEVER knew this was a thing and I wish it wasn’t a thing and I wish I never knew about it. Jesus Christ.
You didn’t know about Tropic Thunder?

It’s an amazing film, with some amazingly sharp satire. It’s still of its time, but the offensiveness is played in a way that is very aware of its offensiveness.

“What do you mean, ‘you people?’” is one of the greatest jokes put on film. On par with, “Nobody’s perfect.”

I’ve seen the trailer for this movie in front of every holiday movie this season. It’s absolutely terrible. I think the music is a big part of it. I also really hate the last shot of the trailer, with him going out a door. It holds no significance what so ever. It looks like POTC with talking animals.