Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dolittle (2019 film)

For context, "Land of the Lost" was a similar action adventure comedy with heavy CGI and an A-list star. It cost a reported $100 million and grossed something like $20 million for the weekend (against The Hangover, but hindsight is 20/20). It's considered one of Universal's most spectacular bombs.

This is projecting to gross $25 million on a $175 million budget.

For context, "Land of the Lost" was a similar action adventure comedy with heavy CGI and an A-list star. It cost a reported $100 million and grossed something like $20 million for the weekend (against The Hangover, but hindsight is 20/20). It's considered one of Universal's most spectacular bombs.

Remember too, that $25M is the high end and on the 4-day. It's only expect to pull around $17M for the 3-day.

That was waaaaay long before international grosses were a real thing though, which I suspect this movie will have okay numbers in. And that 100m is probably much higher than 175m when adjusted for inflation.

EDIT: im dumb I was looking at the 1974 movie woops.

Yeah not good optics at all, but still there's been lots of growth overseas, especially asia, and that might be a saving grace.

As in gross $1 billion WW? Cause I think we all know the answer to that question.

More like grossing just enough overseas to avoid embarrassment. So not AiW, but Alita or Pacific Rim 1.

Over the four-day Holiday weekend, it's projected to make only $20-25M and only a $17M 3-day. Bad Boys 3 is projected at around $38-40M. 1917 is expected to come in second place behind Bad Boys and ahead of Dolittle.

You are right though that it will be the only family film out there for about 3 weeks. However, if it starts off so low (Jumanji and TROS are going to make around almost half of what Dolittle will make a month into their runs), then it really has no legs to help it get anywhere.
Oh see I didn’t know the projections were that low. Ya I’d say that’s not good optics then. I thought it’d be closer to Bad Boys numbers for sure then it’s more of an issue of sustaining it. Ya, this actually may do very poorly. Man tough time for Universal pictures at the moment. They must be relieved knowing that Trolls 2 and another Jordan Peele film are upcoming.

Oh see I didn’t know the projections were that low. Ya I’d say that’s not good optics then. I thought it’d be closer to Bad Boys numbers for sure then it’s more of an issue of sustaining it. Ya, this actually may do very poorly. Man tough time for Universal pictures at the moment. They must be relieved knowing that Trolls 2 and another Jordan Peele film are upcoming.
More than those two films, i'd say they're probably looking forward to Fast 9 and Minions 2 which will probably both hit $1B.

]

I heard about this and it is indeed hilarious, if not slightly sad that RDJ has attached himself to such garbage.

I do recommend everyone listen to the latest Joe Rohan Experience podcast though. RDJ was on and it was just great conversation.

Dolittle received a “B” CinemaScore from audiences (which isn’t great), but the audience score on RT is 76%, much higher than the 19% critic rating.

To note though, the movie only has 771 verified audience reviews. Bad Boys 3 has 4,661 verified reviews and sits at a 97% audience score. With both movies having just come out and BB3 having so many more reviews, it seems that Dolittle is pacing far behind with little excitement.

I try to see the positive.
So that is 175 M for the movie and probably the same for advertising, that is 350 M down the drain. Compared to Super Nintendo Word that costs 433 M (probably 400 M when you divide it over 4 theme parks for research, development concept, design and software) than it's clear that return on investment will be much, much higher for many, many years for a theme park addition. Good news for us when the boardroom does the same calculation.

So this film wasn't as big of a bomb as it could've been. Certainly nothing like the Cats debacle. As I type this, the film has grossed $160M Worldwide (Cat's has still only grossed $71.9M WW). However, that's still a pretty big loss as the Production Budget was $175M. It's looking like Dolittle will end up covering that in the end, but the film will still come in the red due to the Marketing budget.

Overall, this could've been much worse, but they're still gonna lose money on it.

So this film wasn't as big of a bomb as it could've been. Certainly nothing like the Cats debacle. As I type this, the film has grossed $160M Worldwide (Cat's has still only grossed $71.9M WW). However, that's still a pretty big loss as the Production Budget was $175M. It's looking like Dolittle will end up covering that in the end, but the film will still come in the red due to the Marketing budget.

Overall, this could've been much worse, but they're still gonna lose money on it.
Dolittle actually beat Birds of Prey in the UK this weekend.