Inside Universal Forums

Welcome to the Inside Universal Forums! Register a free account today to become a member. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members and unlock our forums features!

• Signing up for a Premium Membership is a donation to help Inside Universal maintain costs and offers an ad-free experience on the forum. Learn more about it here.

Dreamworks Theatre with Kung Fu Panda - Coming 2018

Just announced: DreamWorks Theatre attraction featuring Kung Fu Panda coming to Universal Studios Hollywood in 2018. – Inside Universal

Theater can be adapted to show old DWA holiday specials and new ones. Kung Fu Panda will be the first, and it's all-new.

So it's finally becoming what the theater should be, flex venue; similar to the 4-D theater in Osaka.

I love the Art-Deco design of the theater, as hopefully with the removal of the New York Street facades along with the project, this will bring the upper lot closer to being completely themed.

Last edited by a moderator:
The building looks so beautiful with the Spanish motifs and mission revival architecture! Interesting that this new façade, Cartooniversal's replacement and all the other buildings along this side follow spanish theming while Universal Blvd and Plaza are mainly Art-Deco. Should blend well and I'm glad most of us (including myself) were wrong about minimal exterior changes. Don't really care much about what the actual attraction will entail but the exterior has my attention!

Something I love with this and the Hello Kitty/Cartooniversal Project is that, when you think about it; Universal has really stepped up thematically, and has made the Upper Lot, for the most part; entirely thematic consistent.

DreamWorks Theater and HK/Cartooniversal will remove the New York facades, and that while I love the Shrek 4-D queue as it stands now, I do love the fact that they are blending everything around together. Outside of the SES/Animal Actors fronts, the rest of the Upper Lot will be more seamless than ever before; allowing the Art Deco/Spanish architecture to be a defining factor of Hollywood.

It reminds me of Osaka a lot, and that I am so happy with the direction taken with it.

It makes me very excited about the Lower Lot, and what they could do in the next few years, as there is so much potential that they can take.

I personally feel like USH has pulled ahead from the other studio parks (not IOA) when it comes to park-wide theming. They're really doubling down on the 1930s Studio theming with Mission revival and Art-Deco architectures. I'm glad USH didn't rush the exterior and tied it with the park theme instead. Since they seem to be theming it around as a flex space, I wonder what the pre-show area will look like!

I personally feel like USH has pulled ahead from the other studio parks (not IOA) when it comes to park-wide theming. They're really doubling down on the 1930s Studio theming with Mission revival and Art-Deco architectures. I'm glad USH didn't rush the exterior and tied it with the park theme instead. Since they seem to be theming it around as a flex space, I wonder what the pre-show area will look like!

I agree with this so much, and that I am honestly rather excited about Kung Fu Panda, as it seems from the conceptual art of the theater with projection mapping; it seems that the wolves from KFP2 are back.

Which, brings up the question. Could Lord Shen, be back? If he is coming back, I hope that means more of Gary Oldman.

__

Either way, this and Hello Kitty/Cartooniversal are to me now, highly welcome additions as they will enhance the thematic aspects of Universal Hollywood's Upper Lot. And with the removal of NYStreet, along with the rumors of SLoP back on the table, it makes me hopeful of what they could bring for the Lower Lot expansion.

The removal of the NY facades furthers the case of a New York inspired lower lot redo.

Indeed, as with SLoP apparently returning from the grave; in whatever form it is, it makes sense.

All that I hope with SLoP, and New York down in the Lower Lot; is that they bring the thematic cohesion to their all like what they've done with the Upper Lot for Next Year with DWT and Cartooniversal.

USH is such a good looking park compared to USF. This completely reinforces that. It also makes sense to keep the theme loose so that it can be changed as often as they like.

Also, USF would be wise to get the same characters in the parks ASAP and get them into the parade, character dining, etc.

The building is gonna look very beautiful once it's done. I am very amazed how the upper lot has transformed itself. Now I can't wait to see transformation of the lower lot!

Kinda wish they enclosed the extended queue (that's next to Hippogriff) and incorporated it into the building. Since this attraction is themed as a screening room, it would have been nice to have a large indoor queue filled with props and other memorabilia kinda like Fallon.

I'm so glad they're matching the theme of the entrance area. It would have been so odd for them to theme completely towards KFP.

I never thought the removal of Shrek would leave me with a "Yeah...but"....However. Yeah removing Shrek is a win....But....

I don't love that this is going the way of the Pixar Short Film Theater, Guardians/Star Wars previews, etc. that Disney has been doing. Don't get me wrong, the building looks great. And I totally get the theme of a studio preview theater. But as bad as the actual film of Shrek was, the pre-show was one of Universal's best in terms of setting up the experience. I just don't love this kind of generic attraction. If I want to go see a movie in a theater, I can do it when I'm not in a theme park. And at least at first, Shrek wasn't available elsewhere.

Nitpicking, because yes removing Shrek is a tough change to argue against. But it's still is missing the mark for me a bit.